Horse lorry owners - recommendations please!

HKJ

Visit site
I'm sure this has been done loads of times before, but some of the posts are quite old now and I'd like some up-to-date views.

I'm starting to look at 3.5 - 4.5 tonne lorrys and need some people who have used them to give their personal views.

I've got a 17hh W/B who won't load in a 'big' lorry (long story) and has travelled for years in a Ivor Williams trailer happily, but 2 year ago he developed the 'trailer wobbles' so now we have to travel in the back with him and go super slow.

It would be for him, and I also have a KWPN mare, 16hh but light weight.
I wouldn't travel them together but she's not keen on the trailer bit likes lorries (sigh)

I'm looking at the equitrek super sonic, and super sonic 5,
Boss horse boxes, Malborough horse boxes, Race master.
Any others that are safe, sturdy and good with weight?

Thanks
HKJ

georgiegirl

Visit site
peper harow make 5-6.5ton lorries which are side loading 'small' boxes called the trophy twin.

Ive bought an older one which at 6.5ton has a 2.5ton payload and is stalled for 2 17.2hhs - the horse bit is really lovely too and it has masses of storage - a very well thought out design. You can see the horses straight through the cut thru/living and so far have been very very pleased with mine

HKJ

Visit site
Thank you georgiegirl, I will add them to my list. Though I would then have to take my HGV A's it would go over the 7.5 tonnes fully laden.

:)
HKJ

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I would personally go for a 5.5-6t lorry as you will be able to get a good payload so legally easily able to have two whilst giving plenty of room. To be honest most don't look much bigger than the larger 3.5t boxes (the ones that are almost certainly illegal with a horse on board ;) ) You can get forward/rear facing or herringbone although most are herringbone. You may find if travels ok ish in a trailer he may be better in a forward facing lorry as they won't get the wobble of a trailer.

Have any friends got a small lorry you can test your boy in?

An excellent example of a 5.5t is on p104 of today's H&H middle of page on left. not cheap but smart!

georgiegirl

Visit site
Thank you georgiegirl, I will add them to my list. Though I would then have to take my HGV A's it would go over the 7.5 tonnes fully laden.

HKJ

6.5 is the vehicles gross weight ie mine weighs 4tonnes so that leaves me with 2.5tonnes left to play with in terms of what to put inside which is more than enough for two big horses and their kit :) so if you can already legally drive a 7.5tonner then you will be fine in one of these.

HKJ

Visit site
Ah, thank you! I had it in my head it was on top - I've been reading so many specs now they have become blurred!!
I'll take a look at hh.
My big chap seems to travel by choice) backwards when he had a large space in a big lorry, but I am hoping to try him an the girl in a hired one - problem is we live on the isle of Wight, and no one hires lorrys (self drive) over here. So on top of hire charges I will have 2 ferry trips to pay for :)
It'll be worth it though :)
HKJ

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
We have a 7.5t MAN. Had it a year now, it's brilliant. Just from experience with ours, if you intend to travel two long horses I'd check the width of the lorry as most up to 7.5t aren't that wide. We can fit our 17.2hh in, whilst he's short backed for his size, he's still a little long for the width so have to have him more herringbone than our girls who are shorter (and can fit two in together).

Friend has a 5.5t lorry, as it's currently stalled, it takes 2 15hh but again, being a similar width to ours, it's the length that prevents it from carrying anything much bigger.

Be aware if you're looking at older models that some parts may be discontinued now (ford cargo springs to mind).

Mike007

Visit site
We have a 7.5t MAN. Had it a year now, it's brilliant. Just from experience with ours, if you intend to travel two long horses I'd check the width of the lorry as most up to 7.5t aren't that wide. We can fit our 17.2hh in, whilst he's short backed for his size, he's still a little long for the width so have to have him more herringbone than our girls who are shorter (and can fit two in together).

Friend has a 5.5t lorry, as it's currently stalled, it takes 2 15hh but again, being a similar width to ours, it's the length that prevents it from carrying anything much bigger.

Be aware if you're looking at older models that some parts may be discontinued now (ford cargo springs to mind).

The shortage of cargo parts seems to be over! Phillips Commercials (02476 371617)import genuine ford cargo parts from Turkey where ford still make cargos. They seem to know their cargos inside out. Highly reccomended!:)

HKJ

Visit site
Maesseren, thank you :)
That is another reason I am looking for rear facing in the lorry as it'll give my big chap more room, as well as the fact they travel better.
Good news on the ford cargos!
HKJ

Vicki1986

Visit site
You won't get two big horses on a 3.5 with tack equip people fuel water etc. Well not legally.
Which may work in your favour as they can be dearer in comparison to larger lorries, or certainly was the case when I was looking for my lorry a few years ago.

Jnhuk

Visit site
The mechanic who looks after my lorry and often repairs trailers and all makes strongly advised my husband to stay away from Equi-trek horseboxes due to the build quality being poor - worse than their trailers. We previously had an equitrek trailer and loved it (apart from the build quality not as good as others). I would heed this warning. Another tip, he also told us was that Daf chassis rust less than Iveco (we have an Iveco) so will be bearing this in mind in the future.

At the end of the day, you need to pick your lorry to suit your horse/s size, payload you need and what other things are on your essential list. Once you have worked out that, start investigating but please get a trusted mechanic to look over anything you are considering.

GinaGem

Visit site
Haven't read the other replies so sorry if this repeats but we have a 3.5t which i love but the head room is really to limited for tall horses (other makes/models may be different though). This is my old horse in ours who was 17hh at the time. He would have easily smacked his head if he put it up.

IMG_0568.jpg

On the plus side the length and width are very good in them and i haven't found a horse yet that doesn't travel well backwards.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Haven't read the other replies so sorry if this repeats but we have a 3.5t which i love but the head room is really to limited for tall horses (other makes/models may be different though). This is my old horse in ours who was 17hh at the time. He would have easily smacked his head if he put it up.

On the plus side the length and width are very good in them and i haven't found a horse yet that doesn't travel well backwards.

Does depend who builds it - I had one built with 8ft headroom which was more than my 7.5t had. I also had it stalled for a large horse with an extra high breastbar - but travelling two is a no no :)

HKJ

Visit site
Thank you all!
Sirocco, what make is your lorry?
Same question to icestationzebra!?

Hmm, wondering if it will be better to have a 5.5tonne + made to my own specs - which leads me to another question.....

Who is the best company to approach for quality, trustworthiness, and price!!!

HKJ

HKJ

Visit site
jnhuk - thank you for the advise :)
I have a good mechanic, and will def use him if I find something :)

HKJ

Jnhuk

Visit site
jnhuk - thank you for the advise :)
I have a good mechanic, and will def use him if I find something :)

HKJ

You are welcome. Good luck in finding a rear facing, side ramp non HGV 7.5 horsebox as took me ages but then I needed to take both my large horses and decent payload. Most of the 5.5 or 6.5 are forward facing with side ramp as living arrangements seem to take priority over horse end.

The one we found was converted/built by southern horseboxes which in the end we found on ebay :eek:! You may need to consider getting something built to your specs but keep an eye out on central england horseboxes as they seem to get a number second hand.

The small 3.5 lorries are all over the place but I am not a fan of them as nice as they look. I was taken with them until did a little investigating and realised that although stalled for 2 they can't carry two horses. I understand that they are popular being able to be driven on a car licence.

If getting one built - try to go for someone personally recommended and near you!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Our recent purchase is a Geoff Baines lorry and the horses love it.
Jack would occasionally show his displeasure at the old lorry by standing at the bottom of the ramp but this one he loads himself..
They are good for weight and very smooth to drive, plus I'm sure they bespoke the size according to your requirements. I'd email them.