Horse losing hair on her face, any ideas?

rubyrumba

Visit site
I don't want her to lose anymore as she is going to a few shows in a few weeks. Any ideas what I can put on it? I am going to ring the vet tomorrow but I'm interested if anyone else has any ideas please?

rubyrumba

Visit site
She hasn't got worms and it hasn't rained much here but when it has she's been in. She also wears a fly mask on her face?

Spring Feather

Visit site
How often do you wash her fly mask? Could she be allergic to the detergent you are using to clean it?

An old horse of mine never had this problem in the years I owned her however about 2 years after she went to her new owners she started to get this every summer. They use fly masks as well (I personally think fly masks are the work of the devil!) however the vet felt that it was a fly allergy (no idea why she didn't get it here for the 5 years I owned her but that's by the by) and he gives her an allergy shot every spring and it seems to do the trick.

Piglet

Visit site
I had the same problem with my horse for 2 years and am pretty sure it was linked to buttercups. It was the 1st time we hadn't sprayed for buttercups, I successfully treated it homoeopathically :) :)

rubyrumba

Visit site
I wash her fly mask when it gets dirty, about every 10 days, I wash it in non-bio. I wash he fleeces and fly rug too so I don't think its that. She's had the fly mask on for a while now too, the flies really bother her eyes and they swell and weep.

trojanpony

Visit site
Is it sore/rubbed or just bald?
My mare has a funny baldness this where she gets bald patches on her body occasionally. Not sore or itchy, just health, bald skin! She's had it for years now, and they come and go randomly don't seem to be associated with any food, summer/winter, other horses etc. For about 2 or 3 years her whole face went completely bald. Eventually grew back. Vets couldn't diagnose but said I could try steroids to see if it would go, but as she doesn't show I preferred not to do it, as they don't bother her at all. The bald face was quite unsightly tho!

rubyrumba

Visit site
There aren't any buttercups in her field. She's losing it below her eyes, its not completely bald yet, just thinning out. She's not rubbing it at all.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
what breed is she?

She could be developing whats called an arab mask.

obviously i havent seen any pictures im just going on the info you have given. If you could post a picture that would be really helpful.