Horse losing weight & condition..

Bri

Visit site
Is it normal for a horse to drop off weight & condition if they're having a growth spurt?
My 4 year old has suddenly started to look really ropey, and has lost all enthusiasm for being worked. Less than 2 weeks ago he was like a duracell bunny - full of energy & sparkle and always eager to be on the go. Over the past 2 weeks he has just seemed not himself - very quiet & down.When ridden he's all over the place & seems to have lost the connection between his brain & his feet! Previously he was fed on very little as he'd held his weight over the winter really well & I ideally wanted him a bit slimmer coming into spring. Since last week his feed has been upped & he is now on 3 meals a day of Alfa A oil, sugarbeet, nuts & blue chip. He has also been off work. Despite this he has lost even more weight this week :confused:
His worming is up to date & teeth were done less than a month ago. I'm just wondering if this is normal for this time of year & his age, especially as he has grown about 2 inches recently. Or should I be thinking of getting out the vet?

As a comparison - there is about 4 weeks between these pictures..
DSC00409.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Sunny08

Visit site
When my 3.5yr (now 4.5yr old) old went through a growth spurt she went from looking like a very healthy horse to almost an RSPCA case, I had her on 1/2 bale of hay a day, haylage, three feeds a day to build her back up! If I knew how to post pictures I would put them up here - but she looked very similar to your horse, four weeks later she was fine again! I don't think the winter helps either.

Bri

Visit site
Thanks Sunny - good to know!! it has been so quick - one week someone was saying how they couldn't believe how well he looked & the next you could see his ribs! Hopefully he should put it back on soon then. It took me ages to figure out how to post pictures - in your user options there's an option about using a basic text editor, or standard. I changed mine to standard and it allowed me to post pictures...hope that works for you.Would be good to see your pics!

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
Might be due to growth spurt but probably wouldn't expect the 'down in the dumps' attitude... if it was me I would err on the side of caution and call the vet, even just for a chat over the phone....

R2R

Visit site
Blinking heck Bri, he looks ropey in that 2nd pic.
Knowing him, he has grown at least an inch since he has been back in work.
Is he worse this week?
I would up his hay (you can go on hayledge if you like) but if he is still like it (as in down in the dumps) next week I would call vet and get them to run bloods.
Xxx

BBP

Visit site
I'm not a vet so couldn't say, but I can tell you that my 4 year old has benefited no end from being turned away for a while. Last summer he had no connection brain to feet, couldn't even trot a 20m circle, but I got back on him last week and already he can trot a few laps of the arena, is forwards, enthusiastic and is carrying me rather than struggling to balance even himself. As he was so immature (and the weather was so bad!) he had 6 months off, but if vet checks on yours are clear, maybe a month off would benefit him? There are a lot of changes for him to take in at 4 years old and like teenagers, growing up can be uncomfortable for them joints wise if he is growing fast.

Bri

Visit site
R2R - I know bless him. That pic was taken on tues & if anything he's dropped off more since then. He's on loads of hay but desperately needs some spring grass I think. May take you up on the hayledge offer, thanks.

KatPT - he has been off all winter & has only come back into work over the past 2 months. He was doing really well - the loss of brain/feet connection has only been for the past few weeks so think it is probably connected to his growth spurt. He has had a week off already but don't think i will be riding again until he's started to put the weight back on, hopefully some time off will help.

A&T- Glad to hear you say that, I always worry I'm being paranoid if I get the vet but think I will give him a quick call and see what he says.

Thanks everyone!

BBP

Visit site
Ah, I see. I've done a course in physical fitness for adolescent humans, if its anything like the same then growth spurts can certainly affect their co-ordination, technical exercises (or schooling in horses) can become extremely challenging to perform correctly and they become easily fatigued. I always believe in speaking to the vet if I am unsure, but I wouldn't worry unduly.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He actually looks very tucked up in the first photo.

Your vet should be your first port of call to rule out illness, I'd suggest.

angrovestud

Visit site
At this time of year Lice can be around and do a lot of damage i would get some good spot on louse killer from your vet and the weight will pile back on

Bri

Visit site
Thanks all - have had a chat with my vet & he's going to come & do bloods on monday. He saw him a few weeks ago for teeth & thought he was looking well so was concerned that he's lost it so quickly.

angrovestud - I've never heard that before about lice, how do they make them loose weight? Would there be signs in his coat etc if he had lice?