Horse market has simply gone nuts.

05jackd

Visit site
Now - I have no problem with nicely produced horse making good money, but recently we seem to be bordering on ridiculous.
Today I saw an advert for a warmblood. Has been in and out of work for 2 years. Not a novice ride. Kissing spine op, hocks injected, tendon strain and only 6 years old but for sale for £7k as a riding prospect.
Surely I’m not the only one thinking this is ridiculous?

ponynutz

Visit site
Yes it's reached a whole other level now.

Bought mine back in 2014, rising 5, jumped a handful of 80cm unaffs and placed in local working hunter ring for 3k. She'd probably be high 4 figures or even 5.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I firmly believe that horses have been vastly under priced for decades.
though it pains me to accept it... this ^^

and for the horse in the OP, just because they have put that price on it, doesn't mean they will get it.
I picked a price out of thin air for my last sale, i pitched higher and lower but settled on higher to try and screen out all the dreamers wanting to pay installments or have lwvtb!! when the right buyer turned up i took an offer.

sport horse

Visit site
Now - I have no problem with nicely produced horse making good money, but recently we seem to be bordering on ridiculous.
Today I saw an advert for a warmblood. Has been in and out of work for 2 years. Not a novice ride. Kissing spine op, hocks injected, tendon strain and only 6 years old but for sale for £7k as a riding prospect.

Yes but has it sold?

05jackd

Visit site
Yes but has it sold?
I absolutely take your point - no it hasn’t sold. I think the issue I have is that someone believes it’s worth anywhere near that. I also have a serious issue with it being ‘a fantastic ridden or broodmare opportunity’. A horse that has shown so many issues at such a young age is not a broodmare candidate in my eyes.

eahotson

Visit site
I wouldn't have that if they paid me the seven thousand.

maya2008

Visit site
As far as I can tell, in lockdown people dragged out of the field and sold previously lame horses for hefty prices during lockdown. Horses were selling unseen and unvetted. Then buyers ended up with unsound horses they are now trying to pass on for what they paid.

Even at today’s prices, it would be hard to make real money out of horses. By the time my yearlings are backed and ready to sell, they will have cost a fair bit more to keep than I could ever sell them for.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Even at today’s prices, it would be hard to make real money out of horses. By the time my yearlings are backed and ready to sell, they will have cost a fair bit more to keep than I could ever sell them for.
I train sheep dogs. People who've never tried it are always commenting on the "high price" of a ready-trained adult dog but if you worked it out per hour of work, minimum wage would be a far distant dream!

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I think its harder to sell the ones with an 'issue' now. People are no longer buying 'anything'. Prices for 3 year olds at Cavan Sales were down last week unless it was a seriously nice horse. I think they will be a lot of very reasonable priced mediocre horses in the not too distant future.
Recently Dragon Driving has a lot of "updated adverts" with reduced prices .

eahotson

Visit site
As far as I can tell, in lockdown people dragged out of the field and sold previously lame horses for hefty prices during lockdown. Horses were selling unseen and unvetted. Then buyers ended up with unsound horses they are now trying to pass on for what they paid.

When I was looking for my new horse last year a carrier told me to be careful.He said that there was a lot of rubbish out there.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I think decent horses are going to hold their price well, steady types and weight carriers etc are highly sought after these days. I do think there will be a different picture this time next year though with cost of living and a potentially very tough winter (financially). I'm dreading horses falling victim to all of this as some other animals are :(

hock

Visit site
I have an ISH on the market right now and he’s super but my reluctance to sell him has shone through as he’s by the sounds of is too expensive as not had a call about him. Everything else I’ve ever sold has either been spotted in the field or gone to the first to see after a huge amount of calls. Ironic really as he’s the by far the best of the lot! I do want to sell him but to someone deserving of him. I’m going to price drop him this weekend but I’m dreading it as he’s only a 3 yr old and I don’t want some gangster trying him ?. Bizarrely I had a load of messages from FB for him but no visits but. It a single enquiry from HQ. 3 year olds are tricky to sell though.

Widgeon

Visit site
Bizarrely I had a load of messages from FB for him but no visits

I think this is a modern social media phenomenon whenever you're trying to sell anything nice. Is there any chance you could find him a new home by old fashioned word of mouth, contacts of friends maybe? I suppose you've tried that already though.

hock

Visit site
I think this is a modern social media phenomenon whenever you're trying to sell anything nice. Is there any chance you could find him a new home by old fashioned word of mouth, contacts of friends maybe? I suppose you've tried that already though.
Hiya I think before mine have always sold quickly and the last 3 that I’ve sold 2/3 have sold by word of mouth it’s lulled me into a false sense of security! I’ll drop his price and hopefully that should do it. I can always turn him away for the winter however he’s absolutely loved having a job and has flourished so I was hoping someone would spend the summer do a little bit of hacking with him turn him away over winter and then smash it next season.

hock

Visit site
We have a few for sale *cough*overpriced*cough* and no one wants them.

So if anyone wants 15.2hh petite 6yo mare who would make an epically fun yeehaa round the countryside kind of horse then put your hands up and come see her!
Do you want to join forces and do a BOGOF ? Mines not a yeehah so good for the days you have a hangover maybe? ?

hock

Visit site
Put on your advert that you won't reply to FB messages to save yourself a bit of pain. i was deluged with messages for mine and 99% were a waste of time, it was much more pleasant insisting people at least pick up their phone and whatsapp instead of just hitting message!! ;)
Yes I totally agree and I will be doing this once I’ve written a new ad for the golden child, thank you!

hock

Visit site
I was in the market for a 3 yr old last week! If the price is sensible, they’re selling
What would you call a sensible price for a 3 yr old ISH. Genuine question? Photo of said golden child!

Attachments

• BB820B29-1C78-4749-ADA4-B8BCF34B604F.jpeg
    BB820B29-1C78-4749-ADA4-B8BCF34B604F.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 139