Horse maybe going on trial advice needed please

Halfpass

Well-Known Member
Joined
1 May 2005
Messages
3,527
Location
East Sussex
Visit site
Someone came up to see my horse today and has decided she would like to have him on trial. Have another couple of people coming monday and tuesday and if they don't work out i'm happy to give the trial a go. Have suggested that i would like a 10% deposit prior to the trial and that the trial will be 2/3 weeks (maximum of 4) and that I will come and visit him a few times whilst he is there. Does anyone have a contract that they have used in the past that would suit this type of agreement. Would they get the deposit back if they decided not to have him or he was injured etc etc. Have no idea where to start with this but i know i want something in writing before he goes.
Also the saddle i have for him is being sold seperatly its only 2 months old and cost me over £900, obviously she will need a saddle to try him out but i am worried that it will come back damaged. Can I ask for a deposit on this too?
Any advice much appreciated.
 

siennamiller

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 July 2005
Messages
2,417
Location
west sussex
Visit site
bhs do a loan agreement which might suit you?
good luck whatever happens
smile.gif
 

LauraBR

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 December 2004
Messages
14,187
Location
Leicestershire
Visit site
Did she say why she wants him on trial, any particular thing she isn't sure about? Does she live close enough to come back and try him a few more times where he is?

I think you are right to be wary and TBH, not sure how much weight these signed contracts have when push comes to shove.
 

ruscara

Well-Known Member
Joined
10 October 2005
Messages
8,298
Location
hampshire
Visit site
I echo LZT. I wonder what she wants a 'trial' for? Unless there is something very specific - doubt about his soundness or temperament for example - then I can't really see what a trial would achieve. If she wants to do some work with him, or hack him a few times in different circumstances, she could come to you. I would be very careful about letting him go for several weeks, as you seem to be envisaging. A lot of damage could be done to him and your tack in that time. Also, don't forget that horses can very often take a while to settle in to a new environment, and he might not be 'himself' during this trial period.
 

Jay89

Well-Known Member
Joined
6 June 2006
Messages
1,275
Visit site
I personally dnt see anythin wrong with havin a trial...there is nothing worst then gettin a horse u jus dnt gel with...if you draw up sum kinda agreement I thinks dat shud b fine!!
 

Caritas

Well-Known Member
Joined
15 October 2004
Messages
604
Visit site
If it was my horse a trial would be a definate no, no, suprising what can go wrong in few days let alone 2/3 weeks. Personnally i wouldnt, good luck in whatever you decide.
 

Skhosu

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 May 2006
Messages
8,193
Visit site
I wouldn't let him out unless you know the people well from previous experiences, after all if he does a tendon who's out? Better to let her come back and ride him, I always ask for a trial but am no offended if I don't get one and if a trial, only a few days to see if the horse is a problem/as it was. My advice? Don't let it go.
 

Halfpass

Well-Known Member
Joined
1 May 2005
Messages
3,527
Location
East Sussex
Visit site
well i can see everybodies point. I would like to have a horse on trial before buying but can also understand why i shouldn't let him go. She wants him on trial to see if he gets on with her other horses before actually agreeing to buy him. I am tempted to try and encourage her to come and hack him out with me rather than the trial but i'm not sure if she will go for it. Maybe i need to have more of a chat with her i'd just be gutted if i lost out on the right person jst for one weeks trial. Oh dear why is this just soooo hard.
 

calon

Well-Known Member
Joined
29 December 2004
Messages
513
Visit site
hi i have tried this before and would insist on full payment with a contract to say he is on trial and payed for and should they decide for whatever reason in the time allotted that hes not right for them he is returned in the condition he left in as is all tack involved, being vetted before going is good then there are no arguements later about anything he had or didnt have wrong with him also get a responsible witness to sign the agreement keep the ins going and advise ins comp of the situation and state in the contract that they are wholely responsible for him in everyway whislt in their care ect add that they must not alter his appearemce ie hog him or what ever until they have decided on keeping him good luck with the sale
 

Skhosu

Well-Known Member
Joined
12 May 2006
Messages
8,193
Visit site
NO! do not allow her to take him on trial and let him out with anything of hers! This is something that would almost definitely end up in tears.Horses kick and gallop about when meeting each other, so the chances of injury are very high. Besides, most horses get along eventually in my experience, at least all of ours have!
 

AmyMay

Situation normal
Joined
1 July 2004
Messages
66,497
Location
South
Visit site
I would seriously re-consider this one. What has this horse getting on with her horses got to do with whether it is suitable for what she wants??

Some horses take a while to settle in with others - regardless of what a nice bunch they may or may not be - so what gaurantees are there that your horse won't be damaged when turned out with the others. Who will pay for the treatment etc.

Seriously - I wouldn't even consider this as an option. If she wants to come to you a few times and ride it, then by all means agree. But to send it somewhere to see if it gets on with her horses is just plain stupid. Sorry to be so blunt.
 
Top