Horse Mounting Tack Lockers - totally out of character

sammiea

Visit site
I have had Callie now for 2 and a half years, dispite a few loading issues when I 1st had her which were quickly solved and have never returned she has always travelled like a dream and stood on the box like a dream at a show whether she's been in company or not however she has now turned into a this is the recent events...

12/01/2013 - went out with a friends horse, stood fine, jumped well.

16/02/2013 - she went out on her own, stood lovely & jumped well

17/03/2013 - as above

07/04/2013 - on her own, stood fine on arrival whilst i walked course, jumped well but was treatening to rear in the lorry and getting agitated after jumping, (she didnt go back on between class as i was last to go and early to go) we had finished jumping so just headed home as was a good hour and half drive.

Saturday - on her own, stood fine whilst i walked the course then i got on & jumped 1st class. Was a long wait between classes so put her back on and went for breakfast. Someone came and found me in cafe to say she was off lorry now as had got stuck on lockers and got herself in a state. Checked her over small cut but nothing else and she was really chilled out, was time to walk my course for next class and i was 8th to go in so just took her up to the ring with us. She jumped well and we put her back on lorry she was fine whilst we were all in or around the lorry but as soon as we walked away to go a watch a friend she went mental and was giving the lorry what for from on top of the lockers again Luckily she didnt hurt herself any further and again was totally chilled once off the lorry. We took her up to the ring wth us for a bit to watch then loaded her up and went home, she travelled home like a lamb and was chilled out as normal when we got home.

The only thing that has changed in her routine is they have been out during the day since Easter Sunday (31/03/2013) my grazing is newly laid (last autumn) and is doing VERY well but she always only gets a morning out the day before a show.

She was heavyily in season at the show 16/02/2013 winking and squirting at every horse in site but since then I havent actually noticed her showing a season dispite being stabled next door to my gelding.

What are your thoughts??? I cant understand why she has just decided why she would do this? She's damaging herself and my lovely lorry so really need to try and stop it before we had some serious injury or damage.

ajf

Visit site
Have you got a companion pony or horse you could take as a 'test'?

If she's really enjoying it, she may just be wanting to get out and get on with it! Or she could have just realised she's all alone and doesn't like it on her own!

Does she have food to eat in the lorry? Would help stop her if it's a boredom/attention seeking behaviour.

sammiea

Visit site
I do have a companion pony but when i take just my mare (or just my gelding) out the pony has to stay at home to keep the other company.

My idea would be to buy another but think hubby would divorce me :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
My locker mountaineer is being hobbled I have had enough .
He's wearing them when tied on the yard and is calm .
Next week standing on the lorry in them.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Slightly different issue but my mare tries to put her feet on things in a rear facing lorry. Because of the risk of injury I never leave her in there when we're not moving. Its not worth the risk if she gets stuck. So I have someone stay with her tied up to the outside of the box.

Only solution I can think of, for us anyway is to redesign the box. I'm having a box built specially, with no lockers, gaps in partitions or barriers that could be seen as interesting obstacles for my girl. Basically a padded cell :) For us, she's not panicking per se, but knows that if she puts her feet up, we rush to get her out of the box rather than leave her suspended and wedged against the ceiling. Now she goes in and straight up she's so well practiced. The worst thing is when your standing nearby and she starts poking the ceiling, partition and walls with her nose, checking for weaknesses, at that point we know a tantrum is imminent!

Sorry, not much help. Just to add mine is just as bad with company too.

jess_asterix

Visit site
My boy does this not only when standing but when travelling to.

He doesn't do it all the time just when he fancies it.

On the way home from Badminton he jumped up as we got on the M4.
On the way to Mount Ballan he did the same wilst on the motorway and Mum had to spend the last 40 mins of the journey in the back with him then he stood quiet all day.

It all started for my boy at Stafford County Show after the Inter hunt relay when he was really razzed up, he isn't keen on hounds anyway and he jumped on and cut his leg open.

Since then he has had it in him when he fancies doing it.

If we are dirivng I keep an eye on the camera and jump on my brakes when need be to unbalance so he can't get all the way up.

When standing thankfully he has also learnt to get himself down if he has enough room but it is still scary but there is no rhyme or reason for it. They are strange animals sometimes!

naza

Visit site
no suggestions im afraid but wanted to comment.. your post comes across as you leave her unattended in the lorry?

sammiea

Visit site
naza - yes she does get left unattended on the lorry, I can not always have someone come with me to a show and a lot of the time if i do have a pair of hands its my friend/instructor who comes with me and she will walk a course with me etc
it has always been like this and only the last 2 times stated above have I ever had an issue, its totally out of character for her.

McW

Visit site
Id be inclined to say spring grass, this year it has been awful. I've taken my boy off the grass half day, he's better but almost constantly a bit goggle eyed at anything.

Try reducing her turnout and see if she goes back to normal.

McW

Visit site
Hot post too soon, I say this as she only seems to do it once she's been out and put back in. Think she's just winding herself up.