Horse not drinking

samsaccount

Visit site
I am suspecting that my horse isn't drinking on a night. He has one huuuge bucket and only seems to go down a tiny bit (inch at a push - but could this be down to evaporation rather than consumption) but he seems fine and acting himself he has only been stabled for the past 2 nights so i am wondering if it is due to that but he hasn't been stressing out.

Would you put it down to a change in routein or somthing else?

Llwyncwn

Visit site
One of my mares barely drinks in her stable, but when I turn her out she goes directly to the water trough and drinks. Dont understand why, she is fit and well, perhaps just habit. Wouldnt worry if he seems ok.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Amy goes through periods when she drinks a lot, and others when she hardly drinks at all. We are going through copious amounts of water at the moment.

Personally I wouldn't be too concerned - however you could put a little salt in his feed to encourage him to drink more.

Chex

Visit site
Chex never seems to drink at night. He's in a big pen with another one at nights, and the water is at the same level in the morning as it was at night, so neither are drinking. He's always been like this. He gets haylage and a sloppy feed, so think thats enough for him.

samp

Visit site
If your concerned you could start adding sloppy sugar beet to his feed so you know he is getting some water. Horses like humans drink less at this time of year

samsaccount

Visit site
I am going to start to add a bit of sugar beet to his feed.
I am not worrying so much at this time as i know he has a constant fresh supply for when he is in the field, and since he is ok at the moment i am assuming he is fine.
But thank you all for the suggestions and reassurance (sp?)

Sparklet

Visit site
My daughters horse does not drink water in the stable. She much prefers the green, smelly slimey water in her trough and gets incredibly mad if anyone gets to the trough before her in the morning when she is turned out.

She will drink if they are in for a spell because of waterlogged fields but the other stuff must taste much better than the freshly drawn tap water.

Marnie

Visit site
In our yard we fill troughs with a hose pipe / rainwater from the roof and then take the water from there - it seems that some horses like the water to stand for a while to let the chlorine 'evaporate' from tapwater before they will drink it.

Maybe worth a try?

taceann

Visit site
Yes mine is another "I don't drink water in my stable unless I really have to" sort, the somewhat manky trough water outside being much tastier ! Wouldn't worry about it.

catembi

Visit site
My old horse won't drink in the stable cos she just doesn't like water in buckets. I leave her a bucket anyway, which she barely touches, & then she has a drink in the morning when I turn her out. You could try scooping some trough water into a bucket as that sometimes works?

Dannie

New User
Visit site
mine is another who would much rather have water from the trough in the field than the fresh, clean water placed in the stable every night!
as long as he is he's normal self then don't worry yourself about it.