Horse off his food...but he's a fussy eater

Hemirjtm

Visit site
Since wednesday my horse hasn't wanted to eat his hard feed, he will quite happily eat grass (out 24/7), apples, carrots, mints, bread..etc but will not eat his hard feed, I have changed nothing since Christmas.

I have ordered a bag of Havens feed that is supposed to help with appetite, but that won't arrive until after Wednesday.

He is fine in himself, not dehydrated, not losing weight (but he will do as he is not a very good doer!). He is a really fussy eater but I haven't changed his diet. I opened a new bag of feed for him, just in case it was just that bag, but he still wouldn't eat it. He has never really been interested in eating, and takes ages to eat. He had his teeth done about 5 weeks ago, his way of eating didn't change.

He gets Havens Basis-Sport nuts, oil, luzerne ( made wet so doesn't expand in stomach, would say it is like speedi-beat ??) and Garlic. I have tried different combinations, and he won't eat anything.

Any ideas ? As he is a fussy eater my first port of call is not the vet. If he carries on not eating then I will obviously call the vet and get him checked out.

Thanks in advance for any help !

Izzwizz

Visit site
Its tricky really as you could keep on trying different things but end up spending a fortune. Perhaps he is content with the grass only at the moment, it is at its most nutritious just now. Only thing I can suggest, and I have a fussy eater, is try such as Top Spec feed balancer, the one that has everything in and mix it with a little Baileys No 4 topline and condition mix to tempt eating. At least that way you know your horse is getting all the vits etc thats needed plus a little extra. Maybe split the feeds into 2 small ones mixed with carrots and the other things he enjoys. One thing about the balancer is that its just a cup full per 500kg so isnt a lot to be faced with.

It could be simply that he's bored of the same feed...

Hemirjtm

Visit site
Thank you :)

I forgot to mention I am in France so it's not easy to source feed :/ I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't worry too much until I have tried the feed I have ordered but won't arrive until after Weds... He has had it before and loved it, I just didn't feel he needed it, and for a few months he has been quite happy to eat what he has been having.

Like you say, he could just be bored of eating the same thing all every day, ie his fussy side coming out.

He normally gets 3/4 feeds a day as he takes ages to eat, so we moved him to this to encourage him to eat. I did try adding carrots and apples, he wasn't interested, even if I took them out afterwards !! He will only eat them if I give them to him as a "treat"...

I'm not going to think too much into it until I have tried the other mix. Then I will know if he's just bored of this food or whether there is a problem :)

Thanks again

putasocinit

Visit site
Maybe he is just getting enough grass right now. But fennel seeds smell and taste divine and horses love it, so add to feed.

Tnavas

Visit site
The grass he is on is obviously filling him up and he doesn't want or need his hard feed.

Don't stress :) , once the rate of growth reduces he will be happy to start eating his hard feed again

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I have a similar problem with my horse, he will pick out the carrots and leave the rest of his hard feed. I think the grass has come through and he's just not that bothered.

I really want him to at least have his balancer and a bit of linseed as he is prone to dropping weight quite quickly (although he looks great now), I've just ordered some fenugreek seeds as I have heard they help increase appetite and help with fussy eaters.

Theyre cheap and you should be able to get hold of them easily enough in France.

Hedwards

Visit site
When my boy was ulcery i started to add fenugreek powder (from pro earth on ebay - cheap as chips) to his diet, and have continued to do so, has really helped him.

Kat

Visit site
Mine is already on fenugreek and is refusing bucket feed again. Would just leave her on grass but the field is overgrazed and she drops weight easily AND I need to get her barefoot suppliment into her. :(