Horse on horsebox Issues - It's me that's the problem!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on not being so stressed when their horse is on their horsebox?

I have been practising loading Jacob, and feeding him in the lorry etc and I am completely inwardly panicked when he is loaded. He walks on fine, stands fine, eats his breakfast on it - he is wonderful but it's me that's the problem! Even standing with him in hand, back bars closed but ramp open and side ramp closed with him eating, my heart is pounding out of my chest and I feel shakey; and that's without having driven him anywhere yet.

I know the box is safe, I'm 100% happy driving the box empty etc, there is enough room in there for him, he is a great traveller - I think what panicks me is that I haven't travelled a horse and been completely responsible as it's always been with someone else driving previously, this is the first box I have owned. I am also very aware that should he kick off, or slip I can't get him out immediately. I don't think he will kick off, but horses can do anything.

I am considering taking out the partition and having him cross tied (whether he will like to travel like this, I don't yet know) as then he has more space, it's one less thing he can injure himself on and for some reason in my head it feels less dangerous.. No idea why.

Edited to add: Thanks for reading this far, that turned into quite the ramble!

live2ride

Visit site
I was quite nervous/anxious the first few times I’d travelled mine in my new box.
Similar reasons to you, first time driving him myself and having previously had a very travel phobic mare who made any trip an ordeal.

The way I helped myself was to do a few journeys with the box empty first, to really get comfortable with driving it.
Then I progressed to having someone experienced with traveling horses, in my case this was my instructor, travel with us in the box to a venue and then back. Just to give me some moral support and build up my confidence.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I was scared rigid of driving my new lorry especially down hill. My legs would shake uncontrollably as I drove around the field at about 5mph. I booked a half day driving course in my own lorry. It was expensive but totally worth it. The instructor had me drive through Exeter city centre, squeeze through the tiny, winding roads of Topsham, wriggle past parked cars in a narrow service road and over a very exposed bridge on the M5 with a strong wind blowing. All things I would never have done but found I could do perfectly competently. He sat there with his feet on the dash fiddling with his phone and telling me where to go. I felt a bit embarrassed reaching out to an HGV driving school because my 7.5 tonne scared me to death but it was not nearly as mad as I thought. There was another woman there who’s husband bought a massive Winnebago for their retirement so they could do that round the world trip they had dreamt about for thirty years and she knew it would be so much better if she could share the driving. Good luck OP, you will be fine once you find a bit of self belief and I think your strategy is spot on. We all have our inexplicable doubts and fears but you have nice people to support and encourage you. My next challenge is learning to tow. I have always found the thought of it very worrying indeed but I’m going to find a good instructor and give it a go. Fortunately I am of an age I don’t need to pass any exams :)

sport horse

Visit site
Once Covid is over offer to help a local showjumper. We travel 6 many days and they are on and off the lorry all day long. You would be so busy you would not have time to be stressed!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had so many anxiety nightmares when I first started taking my horses out in my own lorry. I still remember them vividly now, some were very upsetting. However, for me it was just a practice thing. I wanted to go for outings so had to just force myself to be brave enough to do it. The more I did it, the less I worried. I haven't done anything differently, I am pretty obsessed with safety anyway so normal things like good safe tie-up points and I always use leg protection etc, and the lorries I have chosen have been pretty horse-proof. I am more than happy driving my gang around now. You can do it :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If your horse goes onto the box easily then that's half the issue solved. The idea of having someone travel with you the first time is a good one & it should give you more confidence. The main thing to remember when you are wither towing a trailer or driving a horsebox is to drive smoothly. Accelerate smoothly & break over a longer distance so the ride you give to your horse is nice & smooth & comfortable. You need to extend your view when travelling a horse, by doing this you will be aware of what you are driving towards & you will have more time to slow, gauge your entry to an island etc & again give your horse a smoother ride. Also be aware of thew length you are so you can get round junctions & gateways without scraping your trailer/horsebox.

You'll be fine, once you've got your first journey done with a friend on board you'll be confident & probably enjoy the drive. Good Luck

I drove off with the ramp still down on my trailer, that was many years ago but I never did it again.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
When we first bought a 3.5 ton my oh drove it home and I was bricking it when I actually thought I might have to drive it, I just got him to sit with me and we just drove it round empty for a few days, I used to be nervous loading mine as one tripped and fell off the ramp and cut his leg, just a silly freak accident really, but I find rescue remedy helps me and to do breathing exercises or sing, and try and have a nice relaxed atmosphere as in no rushing.

I can honestly say it didn't take me long to be really confident I took one of my horses to Newmarket vets on my own from Hertfordshire and I hadn't had it long, mine was quite an old box so gears were close but it really didn't take long to get the hang of them or to judge gaps and corners, just take it slowly don't worry what other drivers think.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ditto the just taking it out for a drive as many times as you can (use it for your essential journeys where you can). Get used to how it feels and handles.

Then, do little round trips with your horse onboard. Take a household member to give you moral courage. Feel the difference in how the lorry behaves. Brake sooner, go round bends gentler.

And just keep doing it. Very soon you'll be swinging your butt up into the driver's seat and cracking on without a worry.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies!

I didn't end up taking it out as unfortunately that next day Jacob cut his leg coming down the side ramp where he stepped off the side just slightly too close and took some skin off, nothing major and totally my fault as I expected him to rush (a habit of his with previous owner, but hasn't done it with me - think I was just nervous) and didn't guide him enough so he took the most direct route off the ramp. This has ended up in four very fat legs/antibiotics as he is super prone to Lymphangitis and is the kiss of death in terms of my mindset regarding this box.

A lady on the yard who has a much newer, lower coach built box has said that I can drive Jacob out in that to see if it is just my box I feel like this with, or all boxes. I don't feet nervous about that at all, I'm actually quite excited, so think it may just be my box. I think I am aware that it's older (but had all work done for MOT in Feb, and I took a mechanic and a welder to view with me - makes no sense why this part worries me really!) and is quite high off the ground (transit/luton type conversion) so Jacob can really be felt/heard in it as he is a big boy.

If I feel the same in her box though I think I will seek out some driving practise at a centre once they are open again as some have mentioned and really try to knock this on the head. I really didn't expect it, I am usually such a confident and happy driver.

Lurfy

Visit site
I was very nervous the first time I floated my horse. Like anything else it's practice, practice, practice. If you have an experienced friend next to you it will help. If you can drive a car safely, you will do fine. Start with small trips and build your confidence. If you have towing training courses that would help your skills and therefore confidence. Good luck.

scats

Visit site
Not me but a good friend was terrified when she got her wagon. I remember sitting in the passenger seat while she drove around the yard in 1st gear, no horse on board, exclaiming that if she went into 2nd gear it felt like it was ‘running away with her’ (which made me howl with laughter!)
She now takes her horse out in it happily and will venture onto the motorway if need be. I still like to remind her of the 1st gear days, just for amusement!
You’ll get there!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
We hired a pick up truck once to move hay. That seemed very high off the ground and very unstable and we didn't have a high load on it. We were both very glad to return it when we were finished. Totally understand why it might worry you, would me too.