horse or pony?

iAMASHOWJUMPER

Visit site
Just for fun, which would you prefer to own and why?:D
Include breeds if you likeeeee, I'll start:D
I would like to own a pony for as long as possible, sharp on their feet, quick-witted, keep you on your toes and are generally so much fun! Would love a highland, haflinger or welsh d
(Not saying horses aren't any of these things, just the ponies I've ever met have been so much fun!:D)
Your turn!:D
ETA: sorry for the excessive use of smileys...

L&M

Visit site
Overgrown ponies for me too!

I am lucky to own a 14.2hh connie x tb, (measured in for BS but nearer 15hh), and a 14.3hh irish hogged cob.

They are both very versatile and can do all disciplines in competition season, then hunt over the winter.

Because of their size they are more economical to 'run', and as similiar sizes, share all equipment bar saddles.

My 9yr old son can ride both, but also novice friends have learnt to ride on them as are not intimidated by their size.

And finally, less far too fall.....!!!!

iAMASHOWJUMPER

Visit site
ponies seem to be popular:p
Agree with the far less to fall, used to falling off 15.3 type horses, so was pleasantly surprised at how short the amount of time I was airborne was when I fell off my 13hh loan pony for the first time:eek::p

chocolate_cake

Visit site
I would quite like to have a pony, nothing too small though. A nice 14.2 hand allround pony. I am more used to riding bigger horses 16 hands plus.

PingPongPony

Visit site
Definitely a horse! The bigger the better. With me, the taller the horse the more confident and safer i feel, no matter how nutty the horse may be. I find pony strides uncomfotable and its way too close to the ground for my liking, can barely jump 70cm on a pony before being too scared, yet i'll jump up to 1.30 on something 16hh+ :) It'd have to be opinionated and forward going, hate rears but don't mind any type of bucks, it'd have a lot of scope and mind their manners on the ground, prefebly gelding but i don't mind mares, something about 17.2hh would be nice. Oh, and Rose grey with a black mane and tale! :D

yellowdun

Visit site
I love the pony character, but don't feel comfotable on anything less than 14.2 hh and to be honest, a horse stride is easier to sit to. I have the best of both worlds now as I have a Bashkir Curly horse with a a fantastic pony type nature, but he is 15hh and rides as a horse

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Big pony - love my connie x! Also used to have lessons on a 13.2hh newfie - was so much fun and didn't mind too much if I took a dive cos the ground wasn't far. Ponies Rock! ;)

wtdnh131

Visit site
fully depends on the breed/personality for me, i would prefer a thoroughbred type pony than a cobby horse but id prefer a thoroughbred type horse than a cobby pony so it purely depends on the breed (what am i saying, i have a cob pony!!??)

Madam Min

Visit site
My little mare is 15.1hh and poss has some Anglo Arab in her. I wasn't looking for a horse when I got her on loan and at the time my OH said she wasn't for keeps as she was on the small side, nearly 2 years on and she's properly ours, she's totally converted me to smaller equines! She may be small but she has a huge ego and a huge heart :)