Horse out at night, tired in day?

Tobiano

Visit site
About 2 weeks ago I swapped bilbo on to a routine of out at night (muzzled) in during the day. His field companion(not my horse) has to be out at night so it would be difficult to change completely.

The problem is thwt bilbo is a bit lethargic in the day time - this happened last summer too.

I think it may be because he grazes all night and then wants to sleep in the day. Others have suggested giving him a bit more hard feed but that seems a bit silly given all the trouble I am taking not to put weight on him. He has lost some weight recently though, which I am pleased about as he is a very good doer cob.

I can't put him out later than his companion because he gets very upset. I could bring him in earlier, if I got up at 4 am, once I finish work in 8 weeks time.

Any suggestions please?

naza

Visit site
My change so in winter in at night, out during the day and as of 1st mat has changed to in in the day out at night.
He comes in, has a sleep, eats his hay and I ride him, he doesn't feel any more lethargic tho, are you having a problem with him being like it when ridden?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My boy is exactly the same, totally knackered during the day. I have started to leave him to rest in the morning and ride out after lunch although yesterday I picked his feet and and put his bridle on while he was laying down and he still didn't move.

Once he decided to get to his feet he was fine and hacked out as normal, he just didn't want to get up to start with.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Remember it has been quite cold, the temperatures have been up and down. I think when they are out and it is chilly they keep on the move all night, and then it if warms up a bit in the daytime they like to lie down and rest in the sun. My pony in particular often lies down (and I look anxiously - not colic, not laminitis?????). I did see them both lying down one evening, but my horse had a rug on that night, so he obviously felt warm enough.

I think their rest patterns alter when they are out, but it shouldn't really affect them too much.

WelshD

Visit site
One of my ponies tends not to lie down if the grass is even damp or dewy and definitely not in any mud or long grass! this makes him extremely tired and cranky so i try to bring him in for at least some hours unless the days and nights are bone dry, could a similar thing be happening with your horse?

Ladyinred

Visit site
One of our girls is like this. Eventually she gets her time clock right but it takes a while. When she comes in she sinks into a heap and just sleeeeeps lol. She is a bit of a nervous nellie and I think it takes a while for her to feel safe to sleep outside, even though she has a constant companion. Every hedge holds a welsh cob eating, bona fide, fire breathing dragon doncha know!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think it's normal for them to be tired when they first go out at night they adjust over a fortnight .

RubysGold

Visit site
Mine come in at 8.30, have a sleep then some hay, I get to the yard between 4 and 5 and they are wide awake and ready for riding before turnout

muckypony

Visit site
I'm glad you've posted this as I've been thinking the same! I want to swap mine over but worried about tiredness as I compete regularly. U always think of it as though I an eating into his sleep time, whereas usually it's playtime!

flirtygerty

Visit site
I am a great believer in that if you need to sleep, do it, over the winter when my field is a mud bath, my lot come in and chill out, taking advantage of a dry bed to catch up on sleep, if I want to ride, I bring them in early, let them rest then ride, but my lot are not competition horses, just happy hackers

Darkwater

Visit site
Mine at the moment are coming in at night but out on the summer fields for about 12 hours during the day with their summer herds (they are out in bigger fields in larger groups than they are in winter). As soon as they come in they are falling asleep and are laying down every night. I think they are just adjusting to their new field mates and spending their days eating so they are more tired than usual. If I ride, I either let them have a rest after they've come in or ride first thing on a morning. As soon as they are out 24/7 they tend to go back to normal as they will start sleeping during the day as well as night.

DuckToller

Visit site
Friends of mine bought a dutch show jumper, and when the yard changed over to night time turnout, he would lay flat out in his box all day and sleep. They spent a fortune on blood tests, convinced he had a virus, but all came back negative.

In the end it was suggested that he was just a greedy piglet, spending all night eating, then catching up on his sleep during the day! He did get better eventually. I would have to be pretty desperate to get up at 4am, so unless it becomes a serious problem I would just let him sleep and ride when you can!

Tobiano

Visit site
Thank you all!
I am relieved that others have seen something similar though I will get the vet to look him over when he comes to see my other horse.
I don't really compete but sometimes do long rides so the night before those I will put him out about 4 pm and get him in about 10 pm so he can have a nap first I think.
I have a lesson on Saturday so will see how he goes.
He will get another field companion soon - my daughters horse - so perhaps he will settle down a bit more as he might be not lying down due to nerves. Almost feel as though I should take myself to the field and watch to see what he does all night!