Horse owners time waste too!

Noodles_3

Visit site
Just a little rant really.. I had been riding a little cob for someone last year but stopped as I lost confidence with him. (I struggle with confidence with riding) since this I had had the odd ride on a friends pony but hardly ever.
However I decided that I missed everything horses so put an advert asking if anyone would mind me spending time with there horse, doing chores etc but not necessarily riding as this is what I enjoy. Anyway someone got back to me and I met them and there horse. The horse was absolutely lovely, a true confidence giver and even suitable for riding if I wanted. The owner seemed so lovely and genuine to and spoke about what I could do and showed me around, spoke about needing to get me keys for the yard etc. Anyway, planned a date which was cancelled - fair do's. But then when I tried to re arrange the owner just ignored me! My messages were shown as 'read'. But no reply asking if it was still ok. Now I totally understand the owner may of changed their mind and thought 'actually it's not for me' but surely i deserved a message or phone call explaining this? Feel so disappointed as I really thought it seemed a great set up for me and everyone seemed lovely and I was led to believe they were happy with me and wanted me to help.
Just baffles me when people do things like this, no need for ignorance at all!
I haven't messaged the owner since, I've just left it but it's really annoyed me! Grrr. Next time maybe I shouldn't be so willing to offer my services! :(

PollyP99

Visit site
Life is full of weird people, I had the same issue this week but this time when asking for a service (ironing) person contacted me arranged to collect, having agreed pricing etc and then didn't show and when I messaged them they ignored me.

I'm p'd off in my situ and I would certainly be in yours, let's agree people are just weird, now how do we spot these weirdos before we waste our time.

Noodles_3

Visit site
Yes that is strange! I just don't get some people lol. Especially as they come across as pretty normal and then change! I think I'm too trusting of people too. It's awful though because you are left thinking what did I do wrong?! I was gutted as the yard, horse and even the owner seemed lovely then it was gone. Almost felt as if someone did a 'look what you could have' then snatched it away!
Someone said, at least they let you down straight away rather than later if you started to get attached to the horse, which I guess is very true!

RubysGold

Visit site
It sucks that they couldn't at least tell you if they changed their mind. Could it be they were just busy when they read it and will get back to you in a day or two. I often read texts and forget all about them.

Don't give up though, there are other people with equally nice horses that would appreciate the help and will help your confidence. Put the advert back up and try again :)

Noodles_3

Visit site
I wanted to believe this but after two texts - one of which I sent almost a week later and no reply I guess not. I guess the owner just changed their mind, which is absolutely fine but why not tell me? I like to think I'm a nice person and come across that way! They may of been sparing my feelings by not wanting to hurt me by letting me down but it hurt more being ignored! Thank you RubysGold, I will eventually put an Ad up again :).

Barnacle

Visit site
People are just so damn rude! On the other side of this but... I've had several sharers arrange a date to meet up and we go up specifically to do so and they send a text 20 mins AFTER saying they can't make it. Or worse, they say nothing at all! And then ignore any messages trying to figure out what happened. How can people function like that? I don't mind if someone visits, decides it's not for them and politely declines - but seriously - who actually just outright ignores people? It's so unbelievably inconsiderate. In my case it has crossed my mind that they assume I'd be there anyway and don't realise I'm specifically turning up for them - but it still seems rude not to say anything at all. I don't expect an apology - just a frickin' cancellation! So, yes, I know the frustration... Not much you can do about it sadly! If you'd be interested in a (mostly) non-ridden share and happen to live near London/North of London, I might have the perfect thing for you (not my horse) but just a shot in the dark to make something good of your unfortunate situation! :) Feel free to PM me.

Noodles_3

Visit site
Ugh, I know I just think it's rude and when I think about it it frustrates me! I think it's because I wouldn't treat someone like this. I think people just think if they ignore a situation it will go away! In this persons case it did because im not going to waste my time hounding them and coming across as a nutter lol. I'm not like that but nether the less I've learnt to be a bit more wary of people.
Thank you for your kind offer but I live about 4 hours away from London! Boo :( !
It's good to know there are nice people out there.

Barnacle

Visit site
Oh well that's too bad - but best of luck finding something suitable. Really people just suck sometimes! And I'm with you - I think we're shocked cause we'd never treat someone else that way... But maybe some people actually just do!

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
I agree with you Noodles. I've had exactly the same happen to me in the last few weeks, by 2 people. I just don't get why they ignore texts/emails/phone calls etc. It comes across as cowardice. What do they think I'm going to do? Shoot them? I've never been rude or horrible to ones who do say 'thanks but no thanks'. But then again, if that's the way they conduct themselves, do we really want to invest time and emotion in their horse? Fortunately for me, my share has been extended to early July (it was supposed to end around May/June). I hope you find the right horse/owner soon :)

Noodles_3

Visit site
I agree with you Noodles. I've had exactly the same happen to me in the last few weeks, by 2 people. I just don't get why they ignore texts/emails/phone calls etc. It comes across as cowardice. What do they think I'm going to do? Shoot them? I've never been rude or horrible to ones who do say 'thanks but no thanks'. But then again, if that's the way they conduct themselves, do we really want to invest time and emotion in their horse? Fortunately for me, my share has been extended to early July (it was supposed to end around May/June). I hope you find the right horse/owner soon :)

Lol! Your light hearted post made me laugh, it's exactly what I thought! I would totally understand If they said thanks but no thanks but being ignored and wondering what's wrong is just rude!
I'm so glad you've got an extended share, that's fab :). & thank you!

Equi

Visit site
Ive just started volunteering at a local riding school now. It was lovely - not too much to do as only a few stables with ponies in. But the horse i got to ride was lovely and there is noone there watching me so basically i got to walk about and have a trot when i felt like it - i aim to work up to canter again.

Dizzle

Visit site
What about looking into helping out at a local RDA? I know our local one is desperate for helpers, lots of pony time and when I was a teenager and helped at one we used to get the odd ride too. Plus you'd be doing your bit for charity which is good for the soul!

smja

Visit site
Noodles, where are you? We've got three, and two of them would love as much attention as you could give them!

pixie

Visit site
Agreed, where are you? My pony would love someone to give him extra cuddles and just have fun with, even if not ridden.I've a baby and toddler, so just not enough time at the moment..

Noodles_3

Visit site
Ahh all you lovely people! It's so kind of you all. Very appreciated :). I live in north east Lincolnshire x

Ladyinred

Visit site
Ahh all you lovely people! It's so kind of you all. Very appreciated :). I live in north east Lincolnshire x

Darn it!! Relocate to Kent lol and you can have all the horse time you want! Both my girls are attention-hounds and not at all fussed about being ridden.. they would love you.

Annagain

Visit site
Want to move to Cardiff? I have two who would love a fuss and one of them is the perfect confidence giver if you fancied a little ride in future.
Hope you find a new horsey friend/hobby. I too was going to suggest volunteering at RDA or a local rescue centre. Isn't Bransby up your way somewhere or have I imagined that?

Noodles_3

Visit site
Yes bransby is near me, about an hour away :). Would of been ideal if it was a bit closer but too far to travel regularly with work etc! Ahh, it just goes to show from you peoples replys that there is kind, generous people out there with nice genuine ponies too!