Horse panics in open spaces....

Frumpoon

Visit site
So I've got the vet booked for Wednesday but in the meantime I am doing a lot of fretting....

One of my lot simply refuses to be turned out and will go into a blind panic if we try to do this, she will stand at the gate pacing, go through electric fencing and will size a gate up to come over it if we try post and rail....

This seems to be getting worse, not better and she even panicked today when I tried to lead her round in the manege...

She has a shiver behind which I knew about when I bought her but also seems to have a kind of dancing action in front which is new....

I'm thinking a neuro condition that is deteriorating, plus or minus eyesight possibly deteriorating
She is a 20 year old showjumper, sold to me as a school mistress but behaviour under saddle little bit hit and miss as well

Frumpoon

Visit site
I suppose the main thing that is playing in my mind is that she currently has a pretty rubbish quality of life, she's been in her box now for nigh on 3 months apart from being lunged/ridden which is no life for a horse

be positive

Visit site
Not long, only 3 months

You have not had her long, was she ever turned out previously? if not it could be that she has always been this way but worked hard enough that is hasn't really bothered her previous owners, the shivering/ whatever is going on in front could be as much due to her age, getting generally stiffer combined with the fact she is not getting out to move freely each day, I would think she could be arthritic possibly in her neck which is why she is moving strangely.
Not sure what the answer is if there is not a medical reason, possibly see if she is more relaxed once the weather is better and try putting her out each day after exercise, when she is hungry, with a quiet pony and just leave her for a few minutes gradually extending as she settles.
I had an ex racehorse in at livery he hated going out in the winter, if it was raining I had to either leave him in or if I could get him out I had to expect to be going back to bring him in within about 10 mins sometimes he would stay out longer but once he wanted in he would really stress, in summer he would stay out longer, not if it rained, he never changed despite every effort made, he was very set in his ways and thought the world revolved around him.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I know her previous owner and we are friends and she was going out most of the day last summer/autumn but when I bought her and 2 weeks later moved yards her behaviour seemed to change completely, I guess this coincided with the onset of winter so that might explain the reluctance to go in field

But I led her round in the sunshine today for a bit of a leg stretch and she started having a meltdown...it's like she has agoraphobia

fatpiggy

Visit site
I would definitely have her eyesight checked. It could be that the low angled winter sunshine is shining into her eyes and if she is having problems, it could be really frightening her. My own mare turned out to be losing her sight in one eye (she could see beside and behind herself, but not forwards I worked out) and she sometime ran into jumps. She also got very bad about lunging on the right rein too as her left eye couldn't see ahead, and she would constantly try to change the rein. When she got very elderly, it was obvious that some of the horses sussed out she couldn't see them properly and would have a go at her from that side. Did you have her vetted before you bought her?