Horse Prices AGAIN!

siennamum

Visit site
I have been looking for some time for a horse for a friend, as some of you may know. It will be her horse of a lifetime and we are being very particular about, what the horse is like but also about her finding something she really gels with.
There's no rush so we can be picky.
Even with a £5k budget we are stretched to find anything which fits the bill.
There are plently of horses out there that would do but they are 6.5 - 8k and out of our price range. (16 - 16.3, 4 - 9 years, good looking capable of basic competitions & sane)
What is increasingly irritating me is that few of these horses are actually selling.
I have taken to ringing about horses which have been advertised for a couple of months and asking if they will drop the price. They wont.
Why do people not grasp the fact that horses aren't selling because they are over priced and that a horse is actually worth what someone will pay for it not what they would like it to be worth.
I think there will be some major bargains around this winter as more and more horses come onto the market and people have to start dropping prices....

katelarge

Visit site
Yeah, agree that perhaps later in the year you should get something. 5k should get a good horse capable of RC stuff. My horse was advertised for £3.5 and he is 16.1hh, good-natured, pleasant to handle, gets on well with all horses, no stable vices, lives in or out, was 9 at the time, came with passport (he is smartly bred) tack and rugs. He'd done loads of showing, small SJs, hacked all through Epping Forest, was good in traffic, did dressage to novice level and travelled all over the place to shows from a foal. Not a world-beater by any means but a nice horse for someone with smallish ambitions. So they are out there...

Oh and BTW I paid well under the asking price for him! Sorry!

Keep on looking and hang in there.. xx

siennamum

Visit site
He is lovely, but she doesn't want a TB. Like me she's no flyweight and needssomething with a bit of bone. Shall nevertheless get her to have a look at the website.

siennamum

Visit site
I think she's smashing, very very similar to Sienna. Sarah wants a gelding though, and ideally one with 10years in it, so under 10yrs old.
See we are very picky....
tongue.gif

siennamum

Visit site
You've confirmed exactly what I thought. And that is precisely what we are lookimg for. She's not planning on going round Badminton, something which loves to hack & would one day do a PN shouldn't cost the earth.

katelarge

Visit site
That 16.3hh is LOVELY! And as for being a TB - "an ounce of blood is worth an inch of bone". After all, remember how big he is - and National Hunt horses carry large male jockeys over fences with no problems!

What about perhaps looking for a nice cob then?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
What about placing a wanted advert on Event riders? Think they are free to members. Also again what about an advert for west country riders? Have you tried Katrina Myles sometimes has some nice Irish horses and travels there a lot. I just emailed her as my budget when looking was the same as yours and again I needed something over 16.2. I sometimes think wanted adverts work. Also try this number John Vowles (my mother reminded me!) is truly excellent we have bought loads of horses off him - he has loads of contacts and they jump! I went to see lovely little 16hh for £1500 bit small for me but nice little 6yo. Will Pm you tel number.

dieseldog

Visit site
I bought my first pony of John, he let us pay for it £50 a month! I asked my firend last night if she knew of anything and she is having a think.

Lot of overpriced horses out there.