Horse prices over the years.. madness...

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
I was looking through a old H+H from 1991 (as Im painting the cover photo) and cant believe the horses are cheaper now than they were 22 years ago!...

example... 16.2 mare, done dressage £4200
14.3 cob £1500
12.2 Welsh pony £750

and just flicking though they range from 1500-4500...

I paid £1500 for my Appaloosa mare 14 years ago, as a 5 month old foal
and my mum paid £800 for her TBx 3 year old, 28 years ago (and she lived till last year)

and the mad thing is people seem to more than happy to pay more for a puppy than a horse at the moment, Im selling an appy for 1300€ and people have said its expensive, then brag how they have just paid £900 for a pup......

Archangel

Visit site
Agree, it is bonkers. Still, looking through Preloved for a cat wanting a home we found a kitten for £4,000 - a kitten!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Horse prices definitely depend on economic situation in the country, and don't forget that everyone has been breeding like mad for the past 10 years.

I can remember when you could get an OK sort of horse for around £750, because I bought one for that price. Then suddenly prices shot up and in a very short space of time a pony cost £750 and a horse, anything with 4 legs, could cost £6,000-£8,000. It was crazy.

Then they came back down again to around £2-£3,000 for an ordinary horse and then gradually crept back up again, but didn't shoot up like the previous time. I don't really know what they are now as it is 12 years since I bought my horse and I paid £2,000 for him as a 2 year old.

rockysmum

Visit site
I paid £900 for my cob about 30 years ago. Doubt I would pay much more for similar now.

15hh 5 year old lunatic cob with no brakes, I could probably get one free to good home :D :D

Still he's still going so he has cost me £30 a year, bargain :D :D

Mrs B

Visit site
Hmm. *looks back into the mists of time*

Well, when I was 11 (so a veteran of 8 year's riding :p) in 1978, we paid £450 for an unbroken 2 yo, 15.3hh chestnut mare (supposedly bred by some well known stallion - in her case Copper King). We walked into a field of youngsters, mostly bay, and said - we'll have that one! To appease our Dad (who'd given us a budget of £200) we let him name her...

...Patsy. :rolleyes:

It was 'our' first horse (as the old rogue of a dealer knew and I say 'our' as it was meant to be for everyone in the family to ride: I know, I know!).

Hey ho! You live and learn! Anyhoo.

We broke her with a mix of advice, common sense and instinct: typical mare - she'd try out a new 'trick' every season but she was great. Mostly. Actually, she was either lovely and unbeatable or a PITA, but we learned she did love to jump:
picture.php

(At a ODE for the Quorn PC - Lord! I'm concentrating!).

She had just one more home after us, and taught lots of kids to jump before she died aged 29.

So. It was a rather expensive price at the time, but hey...:)

One smashing mare!

Kallibear

Visit site
4yrs ago I bought a nice coloured cob yearling for TWICE what i've just paid for a well bred ISH of the same age :eek: You can buy a sensible big young horse horse now for not much more than £2000. 6yrs ago, when trying to buy one, it was starting at £3000

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Only horse i have ever bought was £1100 as an allegedly rising 5 (more likely 4) year old TB in 1990. Don't think she would of been worth as much in 2012!
Sold for £1800 in 1993 when I went to uni.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I seem to have gone the other way. I bought my Welsh Cob, Saffron (no known breeding) from a field from a gypsy woman for £800, in 2001. She was around 7 years old, and perfectly mannered though green. She was really good to hack and still is. I think I'd struggled to find another Welsh D for that price, they all seem to be in the £000's!