Horse Prices- will they fall?

joben

Visit site
I've been looking for a horse for 7 months. I'm having a nightmare. I'm looking for a 4yo gelding 15.2-16.2 event type with the potential to go at least novice. I didn't think it would be that difficult but it has been!
My main concern is the price that people are asking- are they being realistic or greedy? Are they actually getting these prices? a nice 4yo event type that has done nothing is going from 7-9k. That's OK if he realizes his potential but if I have to sell hime on then I won't get that for him. Do you think prices will come down in the winter? Are their any bargains to be had?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Unfortunately you are looking for the holy grail of horses - a type of horse that everyone in eventing wants hence prices are pushed up. I would be less strict about age as why are you so determined to have a 4yo? Do you really want to BYEH? What about a failed racehorse? Sometimes by 3 it has been decided they are useless and they can go for reasonable money and have some excellent breeding. Have you looked at what sales are coming up for TBs?
I bought a 6yo as he was green but so much cheaper than a 4/5yo he will definately go novice and he is fully matured so no issues about time off to mature further. Unfortunately if you have not got the budget then you might have to make allowances.

H-J

www.piczo.com
Horse prices will fall over the winter they always do, good luck on your search im sure you will find something. Have you thought about buying from Ireland?

Try all the websites horsequest, horseselect, horsedeals, H&H etc

Shrimp

Visit site
I got my horse who is a 15.2 ex-racer for just under 3k as a four year old and we are now competing Novice so it is possible! (see pics in signature). Though this was 3 years ago and it depends how much time you want to spend retraining as it took me about 18 months before he went to his first event as we had to let him mature mentally and grow into himself abit.

joben

Visit site
Where should I start looking for an ex race horse- are there special sales. I would be worried that it's an 'ex' race horse because of some lameness problem but I suppose a lot of them simply aren't fast enough. What sort of prices am I looking at for a 3/4yo?

KatB

Visit site
I brought my boy (see sig) last year as a rising 4yr old (broken, just starting pole work) from Ireland. He has been predicted to go at least intermediate as can move and Jump, and I paid 4k for him. However, I did buy him from Ireland. I would highly recommend it, as its no that expensive to transport over, and aslong as your knowledgable, you can get a bargain. Good luck!!

ihatework

Visit site
Call up any racehorse trainers local to you, they may have something thats just not fast enough.
You will be able to pick up something nice for under 3K, but it will need reschooling.
Alternatively PM vicijp, she has a few racers she sells on for eventing

miss_bird

Visit site
Have you tried the gorsebridge sales in killkenny. Having moved to Ireland i went last year and found at least 40% of buyers were from england, all looking for the same as you but found prices a lot cheaper. We went down on the thursday i think which is 4 year olds and prices went any thing from £2k - £20k. The majority of these horse are ISH (Irish Draught x Thoroughbred), maybe worth considering.
When i moved my horse from England to Ireland was only £300, and at the sales there would be loads going to England so sharing shipping will make it cheap

icemaiden113

Visit site
Do you have to have a 4yr old? They are expensive! I don't know how people can justify there prices! I have a 6yr old for sale that would event, sj etc (ID x TB). And can't seem to generate any interest in him! He has hunted, xc and sj and i have him advertised at £3550! Maybe he is too cheap!!

Iestyn

Visit site
I have a 16hh ex-racer. Bought him at 3 yrs old for £800. He's now 7 and competing Pre-novice BE, Novice BD (now with quite a few points) and has jumped BSJA Discovery on a ticket. He's got masses of potential to go much further with the eventing and we hope he'll make intermediate with my partner. I'm concentrating on the BD stuff and hope to get to elementary in the spring. He should make medium but is built quite downhill so will find engaging and collecting for any advanced moevments difficult - but I don't think I'll ever be that capable anyways.

We bought him from Grace Muir at www.northfarmstud.com They ask more for them now as they do the initial re-schooling themselves, but they won't be charging what the normal "potential eventers" go for. Grace found our boy for us and he's turned out to be excellent in every way including his temperament - everyone who comes into contact with him comments on his temperament and how hard he tries for his rider.

Alternatively just contact racing yards directly - there is something all the time that will just end up in the sales and most yards would rather sell them privately and know where they are going. If you do it this way I think you have to have an excellent eye for a horse and be able to see that "potential". Personally I would rather go to somewhere like North Farm Stud where I'd pay that little bit more but have a few to try and if there's nothing suitable knowing that they will keep their eyes peeled and ring around the huge network of racing yards that they probably have.

Good luck and I would definitely recommend the ex-racer route if you are capable and experienced enough.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think most people are very greedy. Sorry but a horse is not worth £8k when it hasnt even done anything! "potential" in my eyes means nothing because to be honest, Ive had a horse who was well bred and had the potential, however he turned out to simply not have the attitude for it! My best horses have been the cheapest ones! (all under £3k, bought as 4/5/6 yr olds).

There are bargains to be had. The most unlikely horses can be easily capable of novice BE so dont always look for the posh jobs. My novice eventer wasnt bred for competition and he doesnt look like a posh job but he has a brilliant attitude which is so important. Do try private sellers, some people are the opposite and totally undervalue their horses (for example, ones who have found the horse too much for them etc.) - whereas dealers / yards etc. tend to already have them really well schooled etc. which adds a lot of value on straight away. Depends how much work you want to put in I guess!