Horse Prices

Acolyte

Visit site
Am I really out of touch with horse prices at the moment? I have just advertised my lovely fun all-rounder - on the advice of friends and professionals - at 23% more than I bought him for 12 months ago. Yes, I do realise I haven't actually sold him yet, but I have been inundated with calls so obviously he isn't that unrealistically priced.

I was looking for a nice little horse to do Intro and PN on - no desire to go any higher than PN - but if a horse has competition experience at that level it seems to be priced at around £10k now! No way have I got that sort of money - I will be lucky to get £7k together depending on what I sell my present horse for. Please reassure me I can get something to do PN on for that sort of money?!

ihatework

Visit site
Of course you can!
Obviously depends if you are willing to compromise on looks and breeding etc but you could easily get something for 5K.
What exactly do you want height and age wise?
I'll PM you the details of someone I know who has 3 for sale at the moment. She is VERY straight and honest.

MagicMelon

Visit site
It depends if you are happy to bring something on. Lots of horses (ie. non amazing breeding etc.) are capable of PN so you dont need to be looking at the expensive ones who are pricey purely because of their "potential".

Ideally, you should probably go for an average / RC type horse. If you get a 4yo or something quite green then they shouldn't cost much.

I bought my boy for under £3k being very green, brought him on and now he's happily doing novice BE and 1.20 BSJA. He never looked like much (I wouldn't say he looks like the top quality ones) but he's got a massive heart which I think is the most important thing! Attitude is EVERYTHING!

The most Ive ever spent on a horse was £4500 and he turned out to be my worst buy!! So money does not guarantee a good horse.

Acolyte

Visit site
I'm looking for something 15.2-16hh, not bothered about age really although prefererably under 10, pref a gelding

Thanks for the PM too!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
You can easily find something - I agree with MM I never pay too much for a horse and they are around you just have to look. I had a panic last year while looking but did find something. 6-8 yos offer best value as not so encumbered by that stupid word 'potential'.

beaconhorse

Visit site
yes you can but to look for one that says has done pre novice or capeable of doing it would add to the price tag. There are hundreds of horses for sale that could do it easily but their owners have never done eventing. look for one that has done some hunting DR and SJ

My lad would be able to do eventing with the right rider or when I have more experience XC I will take him myself. Only paid £2400 for him BUT he was totally unschooled when I had him

milliepup

Visit site
I know of a lovely rising 4 filly approx 16hh who has lightly been backed but already bombproof and unflappable. She is SHGB registered and got very good breeding.
She will make a great little eventer and has a great loose jump. I know her owner wants her to go to a home that will hopefully use her abilities and the only reason she is for sale is that she hasn't grown big enough.
Let me know if you want any more info.

vic07

Visit site
I have 2 for sale who have event experience one at pn, other at intro. Not priced at £10,000. Homes much more important, as I 've had them for years!