Horse prices

Mouse19

Visit site
So as everybody knows, horse prices in the UK are a lot higher than they used to be.

I’ve been quietly looking for a dressage/all rounder for a while and just musing what to do and whether prices are coming down.

I went to see two at the same yard in July last year. Gelding and a mare. The vendor was upfront that he thought the mare was going to go that day as had a viewing in the morn. Rode both, the mare was nicer - more expensive though. The gelding didn’t really do anything for me so I turned both down. Owner said he’d had lots of interest in both. I’ve stalked him on fb and the mare did sell and then ‘fell through’ and the gelding is still for sale. Same price on both of them. Advertised on fb and the usual selling sites.

Another I requested more photos and videos. Didn’t like the horses action. Priced at 30k. It’s slowly been reduced in priced over the last couple of months and is now mid teens in price.

I called about one that was on sales livery and got completely messed about by the person running the sales livery I’m fairly sure they’re conning the owner. Left voicemail, tried two weeks later, finally got through and they said they’d let me know about a viewing date. Another week passed. Then they gave me a date and cancelled it the day before. The horse is still out competing with the sales livery rider.

I’ve been following a few on social media and horsequest that seem to have stalled on selling. Most between 20-30k.

But I’ve also read on here and had friends sell horses within hours of them being advertised so I’m confused. So many others up for 15-25k that haven’t actually done anything which doesn’t help matters

I’ve seen a nice looking gelding up for sale but it’s over my price bracket - I’ve got 25k (would ideally like to spend less!) and this is 30k. Not sure whether to call up. It’s been on the market since August. Got a good record and social media stalking hasn’t brought up anything untoward.
Should I call?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I think I would be suspicious of anything that had been on the market that long. Horses were selling for huge money unseen so I would question it. Others might not. Someone I know paid a fair bit last year for a horse that had been on the market a while. She was determined she wanted it as it was a certain colour!! She can't ride it now, it keeps chucking her off. Call, if he's your type a call can't hurt. Good luck.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
When we were looking this time last year, I realised that the asking price was basically what the seller thought they could get away with. One horse was £30k at the start of one conversation but £20k five minutes later. Another dropped from £30k to £25k in one text after I’d said £30k was over budget. Another dealer who’s married to a well-known showjumper had obviously forgotten what he’d told me the price was when I first called as when I asked him to remind me how much the horse was on for, he told me £5k less than the original price.

Call and ask if you like the look of the horse - it can’t hurt!

IrishMilo

Visit site
Where in the country are you? Kirsten Mayne in Bedfordshire way has dressage types in for sale all the time mostly in the 20-40k bracket. Don't know her personally though.

Mary3050

Visit site
I am in the same position I have around 22k but would rather spend less . I would like a safe low level dressage horse of pony . Does not need to be top level . I can’t seem to find anything suitable for the right money

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
reeling my eyebrows back down onto my head, for a low level safe dressage horse would you be better looking for a nice untrained/allrounder type and investing the change in lessons or pro training? granted I am well out of the horse sales market and intending to breed my own now as will never have the funds needed to buy ever again, but i can't fathom spending tens of thousands for something not aimed at higher levels.

Mouse19

Visit site
reeling my eyebrows back down onto my head, for a low level safe dressage horse would you be better looking for a nice untrained/allrounder type and investing the change in lessons or pro training? granted I am well out of the horse sales market and intending to breed my own now as will never have the funds needed to buy ever again, but i can't fathom spending tens of thousands for something not aimed at higher levels.
I’d like to go back in at medium and work up. My old horse went to Advanced but it’s been over 10 years since I competed seriously though. I’m aware I’m an amateur I so want something that will suit a competent amateur.
Id also like something proven at Elementary as have brought on two horses to that level and lost them - one to colic and the other to field injury so now an expensive ornament.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I’d like to go back in at medium and work up. My old horse went to Advanced but it’s been over 10 years since I competed seriously though. I’m aware I’m an amateur I so want something that will suit a competent amateur.
sorry, was a reply to the poster above me.

rowan666

Visit site
Could you do a bit of fb stalking and try and track the owner of the sales livery horse you're interested in? I had a friend who sent their horse (fab proven all rounder) to sales livery and they were definitely trying it on to keep the horse longer and making a fortune in livery, friend eventually wised up, brought horse home and sold it for asking price within the week

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think as long as you are not looking at Grand Prix you can find nice horses that you can enjoy training within the budget you are looking at .
I have two both unconventionally bred
One will go to advanced medium hes ID / Clydesdale and came to me at nine with no proper training we started training him seriously last May hes about to go BD and I except the judges to like him very much .This horse has a day job as my husbands hunter.
The other is an ID came to me at 8 with a few prelim points hes my horse so I unpicked all the training and started again he will go to Prix st Georges he’s in elementary atm will be out at medium quickly .Hes had a break from competing because I had a knee replacement followed by becoming ill with something completely different .
Both these horses cost under 7k of course they would cost more now .
I think it’s difficult to buy success and soundness unless your pockets are very deep .
But if you are focussed and will invest in your training there’s great journeys to be had with unconventionally bred horses that develop you for every horse .
Its all about finding the right trainer who develop you for the future .

OP,I think your budget is tight for a sound straightforward horse ready to score well at medium .
Mary3050 I think you should easily find a horse in your budget .