Horse pulls shoes off days after the farrier!

Deltic Blue

Visit site
What would you do in my situation?

My mare is 5 years old and only in the last 7 weeks has she had shoes on.
I made the decision to shoe her as the hacking at my previous yard was quite gravely and it was making her sore.
She'd been barefoot up until then.

The first time she pulled a shoe off was out jumping and she put in a very sticky jump over a ditch, and it just came clean off. This was about 5 days after the shoes first went on.

Now this week, she had a trim and new shoes on Monday, yesterday she'd pulled one off in the field.
Our new yard has clay based fields which are currently very sticky. It also didn't help that I had to put her out alone, so she spent a while trotting up and down, generally being a bit silly, so the shoe must have came off at some point before the others were turned out.

I can't even find the shoe in the field, I don't even know how as it's not a big field!

She isn't injuring herself when she's pulled them off, as they've come clean off, but I'm starting to question if it's really worth it?

The new yards hacking is either roads or fields, not many gravel tracks, so I'm considering giving her this last chance, as the farrier is replacing the shoe tomorrow, and if she pulls it off again, I'll just get them taken off, and maybe wait until the ground is harder as she isn't the type to go lame without a shoe, she only needs them for rough ground.

What would you do in this situation?

Sprat

Visit site
You don't say which shoe she is pulling off - if it's fronts it may be worth turning out with over reach boots on?

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Yes sorry it's fronts, she only wears front shoes.
She's got over reach boots on at the moment, my main concern is that the sticky ground is making it easier for them to come off, as this is only her second set of shoes.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
have you booted her before as an alternative. If you can get a pair that fit well you can go wherever you like in them? Haven't used mine for a while but do tend to take them if hacking in unknown areas/a lot of stoney tracks. I imagine it is more likely that she is pulling them off rather than the ground sticking them off tbh, I think it has to be pretty bottomless before that becomes an issue.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
have you booted her before as an alternative. If you can get a pair that fit well you can go wherever you like in them? Haven't used mine for a while but do tend to take them if hacking in unknown areas/a lot of stoney tracks. I imagine it is more likely that she is pulling them off rather than the ground sticking them off tbh, I think it has to be pretty bottomless before that becomes an issue.

I haven't looked into it really, as she's always very sure footed until it comes to stoney tracks.
It's definitely something I'll look into though, if I do go down the removing her shoes route :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
Well, one of my ponies cast a shoe the same day it was put on! Farrier came out and put it back on and handed me a bill. I paid it as he is good at his job, but did have a bit of a grumble. (Next time, I'll remember that and won't do so much pre-shoeing foot handling!).

Just an aside, but I love old country sayings. There is often a lot of sense in them even though they've become distorted over time. So, isn't the 'luck' part in horse shoes about finding them? Let's face it, you have to be damned lucky to find a lost shoe.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Well, one of my ponies cast a shoe the same day it was put on! Farrier came out and put it back on and handed me a bill. I paid it as he is good at his job, but did have a bit of a grumble. (Next time, I'll remember that and won't do so much pre-shoeing foot handling!).

Just an aside, but I love old country sayings. There is often a lot of sense in them even though they've become distorted over time. So, isn't the 'luck' part in horse shoes about finding them? Let's face it, you have to be damned lucky to find a lost shoe.

The first time it happened, he came out and replaced it for free, as I didn't notice she'd pulled it off until we got home, and I wasn't going back to the venue to search for it.
This time though, I don't know what he'll do, he's coming tomorrow, so we'll find out!

I'm hoping to find it, as the field she's currently in is really small, no reason not to find it unless she's thrown it in a bush.
I'd just hate it if she or the other mare that shares the field stand on it, particularly as Izzy is prone to having a play around in the field, being so young, I don't want any injures.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
When I kept my horses on deep clay fields they regularly pulled off a front shoe - over reach boots helped - moving to better drained fields helped even more. If they came off within two week window my farrier wouldn't charge me and he started putting two toe clip shoes on the front and adjusted hind shoes somehow to help slow down the hind foot reaching the front before it was out of the way...cant recall the terminology he used....

Deltic Blue

Visit site
My farrier came out yesterday and put it on for free, I was willing to pay as it wasn't his fault it came off. The other has stayed put, but me and one of the girls at the new yard are sharing duties now, so she isn't ever out alone and doesn't have the opportunity to pull it off so easily by running around.
Fingers crossed it'll stay on! :)

Emilieu

Visit site
If she is fine with them off I would take them off. If not look into ShoeSecures. They are the only thing I have found that keeps shoes on my TB in clay soil.