Horse refusing to strike off on one leg... any reason?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
A young horse I know who belongs to a 10-year old absolutely refuses to strike off on the right, although will land on right after a jump and stay there quite comfortably.
I've not ridden this horse and I don't know if she just does it with the girl, but wondered whether there might be a physical (or other) reason for this. I DO know that she's been schooled regularly (several times a week and for a couple of months) by my Other Instructor who jumps at Grade A. Could it be a balance issue?
This is quite different to Antifaz, who when I got him would strike off with no problem on left but couldn't sustain it (all fixed now
smile.gif
)
Any ideas wise peeps?

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
Definately a balance issue - particulary if a young horse

plenty of schooling work in circles in walk and trot will help

and some basic lateral work

but it might be worth checking the physical too

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I thought it might be a balance thing too, but am a bit puzzled as my instructor has (allegedly!) been putting alot of work into and to my mind she certainly shouldn't be as bad as she is after this time.
Could it be that little girl is allowing horse to fall on forehand so she can't strike off on her harder side? Am assuming of course that she DOES strike off correctly with Other Instructor as I'm sure he'd be better at keeping her lighter in front.

Law

Visit site
My tip would be for the rider to look over her outside shoulder towards the horses tail and tap the hind leg/bum (light tap, not a smack) whilst asking for canter- proper sit up, look round, inside leg on, outside back (or even asking with the outside only) and see what happens. This has worked for me in the past. In theory this will move the riders weight to the outside and free the inside shoulder to move easier. The strike off comes from the hind so why it works I don't know but it seems to.

I've got the same problem with a green horse that i'm lunging for someone-he will strike off fine on one rein, keep it but do little bucks. On the other rein he strikes off right occasionally but is disunited behind- rather than correct the hind he changes the lead and puts himself all over the place cantering 20m circles on the wrong leg thinking nothing of it. I've only been trying to correct this for a day so i'm going to try again and persevere!

Good luck PF
smile.gif

hollyzippo

Visit site
I would get back checked first, I go out to many horses who either wont strike off or disunite. Unless they are very green and completely unbalanced or rider is very off centre is uaually explained by something physical. Could be muscle assymmetry/back or saddle pain/ pelvis/ shoulder problem.

Worth getting all checked if not the rider

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Check what the ponies hind quarters are doing. Wandering quarters can cause a horse to strike off on the incorrect leg.

For example, if the pony's quarters drift to the outside on the right rein, asking for canter could result in left lead strike off. If the horse is asymetrical somewhere, this could then mean the quarters are drifting in slightly on the left rein resulting in a completly correct strike off.

It's something to consider anyway. Straightness issues account for a lot of problems in incorrect canter leads.

the watcher

Visit site
I would second the back check if the horse continues to do it with another rider, thereby discounting rider error. Lack of symmetry in the back and pelvis is very common and could cause this.

elsielouise

Visit site
Get saddle checked too?

My mare recently developed problem with left strike off on correct leg which as long as I sat in a 'certain way' could be corrected. Had her saddle six monthly flocking check this week and she's back to normal.

My saddle fitter said that since EVERYBODY to greater or lesser degree will sit one sided the flocking will become different over time and given my saddle is only 18 months old it should be adjusted to take into account how I sit.

Anyway, rode her in school and she's immediayely back to normal. Correct strike off every time.

I get back checked every six months or so too so also recommend that.