Horse reluctant to poo on bed .... any ideas?

mytwofriends

Visit site
Hi. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an odd situation I find myself in. I have recently moved my two horses to a new yard, and for one of them it's his first time on shavings (used to be on wood pellets). Since moving he's only done a handful of poos in his stable - none at all the last three days. He's a funny soul and never pooed in the arena at his old yard, nor even on the yard itself, now it seems this trait has followed him into his new stable.

He's turned out at night, but as he's out with others it's hard to know how many poos he's doing overnight. He is showing absolutely no signs of colic, which was my initial fear. He's on Dengie Good Doer and Spillers High Fibre cubes, with additional vegetable oil plus water. He has switched from haylage to hay since his move and I've started soaking this too (plus he has a special dunk bucket for his hay)! He is doing plenty of wees and all his feed/hay is finished up, and he is behaving as per normal apart from the lack of poos in the bed. He's getting plenty to drink.

I thought of asking if I could turn him out alone just to monitor him overnight, but he's not a happy camper by himself (ask several electric fences he's disregarded in the past)! I fear that would stress him more than he is (if he is?) now.

I'm at a loss - he's been at the yard since the beginning of the month - could it be the stress of moving/changing to hay/thinking his shavings bed is one giant "arena"??? I called the vet who seemed unconcerned as long as there were no signs of colic, which there aren't. Anyone else ever heard of this??

I'd welcome any feedback. Thanks!

JenHunt

Visit site
When we changed out boys to shavings (and then wood pellets) from straw it took Ron two weeks to stand on his bed, and another week or so to poo on it. Even now, two winters later he'd rather poo on the concrete or on one tiny patch of bed.

I would suggest that if he seems ok then don't worry too much, just enjoy the reduced mucking out! ;) maybe he does just think its a little arena. Our other one won't poo when out on a hack but will happily pee anywhere :confused: where Ron will poo but won't ever wee in public! They're only funny!

mytwofriends

Visit site
Yes I've never had such an empty wheelbarrow! My boy is quirky and hopefully this is just another quirk to add to his list! Love 'em all! :)

Boxers

Visit site
If he doesn't appear to be ill and has plenty of opportunity to poo elsewhere then I don't think I would worry too much.

My duaghter's pony doesn't poo on his bed - he does it all in a pile on the concrete at the front of his stable!

They are quirky aren't they?