Horse riding GCSE 2020

gallopingby

Visit site
No but you have to have access to one that you are able to ride at the correct standard so if jumping at least 75 cms preferably more, you normally have to submit video evidence at a competition so could also be dressage.

Sail_away

Visit site
I've known people who've done it and from what I understand the basic requirements aren't much but to do well you'd want to be capable of riding a novice test decently and competing at around 90. The 75cm course is the absolute minimum. It's not something you'd really want to be doing at a small/low level riding centre but if you'd like to do it then perhaps you could arrange lessons at one of the bigger centres with schoolmasters who you can demonstrate the more advanced movements on? As an example, a girl I know posted a video of her GCSE PE riding and it included collected, working and medium in all paces, basic transitions and laterals, jumping a 90-1m course and videos of her competing. Not unattainable without your own horse but you'd want a very good riding centre to help you with it.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
AFAIA Red - horse riding can be used as 1 of the a few sports to show performance and progression. If you played cricket as a hobby, you could choose that as one of your sports.

They'd study coaching/training techniques as well as sports science and exercise physiology as part of GCSE. I didn't do GCSE PE but my OH did (some years ago now as he's in his 30's ?) and friend's daughter has recently done it.

GCSE/A level PE can be used as a stepping stone as a whole host of careers or further study and employment - sports science, physiotherapy, PT or you could just study it as part of a broader range of subjects because you enjoy it.

IME GCSE options don't hugely affect career options or empiyabity unless you are looking at highly competitive HE courses . No university or employer ever asked about my GCSE coursework themes . Very few employers have questioned my university course choice let alone anything pre that and it doesn't seem to have hindered career progression.

Last edited:

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I suppose GCSE's only matter if you leave education after you get them.

The overall grades would matter and quite possibly the subjects chosen depending upon the job being applied for.

But horse riding as a chosen sport for the performance part of the GCSE makes up such a relatively small part of the whole PE GCSE qualification I don't think it would matter to an employer - I'm not even sure how they'd know.

It would be like an employer basing eligibility for a job based on a chosen essay title for part of GCSE English Literature.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
GCSE PE is a bit of fun.

Both lads did full course PE, as at the time their comp turned academy was routinely entering students for crazy numbers of GCSEs. Son no 1 ended up with 13.5 GCSEs, and son no 2 with 12, including all the meaty academic subjects. Several students ended up with 15 GCSEs.There was quite a lot of overlap with GCSE biology and PE. IMHO it would have much more beneficial to use all the PE timetable to actually get some exercise, not just sit in a classroom.

IIRC correctly they did cricket and basketball as their PE practical options, but some students did do riding.

gallopingby

Visit site
The riding part when used as part of PE GCSE/ Highers etc is only a very small % and doesn’t really equate to actually having the ability to ride as part of the school day. The students l’ve helped have had to submit video evidence of their ability, they’ve already been riding at a reasonable level It’s usually a short video of jumping or dressage sometimes showing mounting and dismounting. I don’t think the choice of riding would be suitable for someone who wasn’t already reasonably proficient. A major part of the syllabus relies on the ability to assess activity ie movement and answer written questions about the impact of the chosen sport ie muscle groups, preparation for the task in hand. At an advanced level it’s around PC B standard.