Horse Riding Instructors/Good Riding Stables Edinburgh?

Sugarandsakura

New User
Visit site
I love kailzie in peebles if that's not too far? £20 for 40min private lesson so it's a pretty good deal. I'm branching out and am trying Vogrie in Gorebridge tonight as its a lot closer to me, can let you know what I think of it if you're interested!

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
I love kailzie in peebles if that's not too far? £20 for 40min private lesson so it's a pretty good deal. I'm branching out and am trying Vogrie in Gorebridge tonight as its a lot closer to me, can let you know what I think of it if you're interested!

I have been to Kailzie for a hack, absolutely loved it! Unfortunately it would be too far right now to get to for regular lessons, but in the future I hope to go more :). Yes! Would love to know how Vogrie is :). Hope you had a good time!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com

And how did vogrie go? I'm intruiged? Is the place still riddled with strangles?

Sugarandsakura

New User
Visit site
And how did vogrie go? I'm intruiged? Is the place still riddled with strangles?

God has strangles reached there too?! Nobody mentioned it to me, although I did see a notice that said quarantine or something along those lines on the gate as I was leaving. Didn't think anything of it at the time, stupidly!

Re the lesson...by FAR the best lesson I've ever had. Up in Scotland I've had lessons at lasswade (*shudder*), kailzie, as well as having the odd one back in England when I was younger. I think I learned more in the first 5mins at Vogrie than I have in all my previous lessons put together! Excellent guidance and teaching - I've always previously been told that my heels are never far down enough, so I'm always really conscious about that. Alison @ Vogrie told me that because of my heel complex I tense up my legs, grip with my knees, and have generally not-so-great posture in the saddle. I'd always previously been told that I had a good seat other than my heels! Within 10mins of lesson I was sitting so much better - could really feel the difference. She even had me pop a jump (I've never jumped before, normally stick to groundwork). And I felt confident enough to jump too - I feel like I have a much deeper seat already, and a lot better understanding of how I should be riding, not just sitting there! Nobody's ever gone into so much detail with me before.

So 5* review from me, just wishing I had the £££ to go every week, I can only really afford to go fortnightly. I was absolutely buzzing afterwards, such an amazing lesson!

Sugarandsakura

New User
Visit site
One other thing (sorry I know I'm gushing a bit) that I was impressed with was that I didn't dismount and that was that..I untacked and took my horse back to the field etc. I normally hate RS because its so impersonal - you just mount, have your lesson and then your horse magically disappears. I love learning about every aspect of horsemanship, so to have the opportunity to do everything was highly valued by me.

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site
One other thing (sorry I know I'm gushing a bit) that I was impressed with was that I didn't dismount and that was that..I untacked and took my horse back to the field etc. I normally hate RS because its so impersonal - you just mount, have your lesson and then your horse magically disappears. I love learning about every aspect of horsemanship, so to have the opportunity to do everything was highly valued by me.

Ah super duper! Sounds amazing :). I think I will definitely be taking a trip there :D! Glad you enjoyed and thank you so so much!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
God has strangles reached there too?! Nobody mentioned it to me, although I did see a notice that said quarantine or something along those lines on the gate as I was leaving. Didn't think anything of it at the time, stupidly!

Long long story but I don't think you'd be as keen on the place if you knew it. I keep mine just along the road and there has been a bit of a panic amongst local horse owners as the riding school was still kept open throughout seemingly.

Sugarandsakura

New User
Visit site
Long long story but I don't think you'd be as keen on the place if you knew it. I keep mine just along the road and there has been a bit of a panic amongst local horse owners as the riding school was still kept open throughout seemingly.

Hmm really? as in they were still hacking out etc?

DreamOfNoReturn

Visit site

I know of quite a few places who had strangles, but still kept their riding school open in the past. It's not really great. Is there not a protocol or something that they have to follow when they get strangles?

OAP65

Visit site

Am I reading this right? You actually went to and rode a horse at a riding school that is in quarantine for Strangles?

Sugarandsakura

New User
Visit site
Am I reading this right? You actually went to and rode a horse at a riding school that is in quarantine for Strangles?

Nope not saying that at all. I said I thought there was a sign on the gate - it may have said quarantine or it may have said caution/safety/something along those lines that may have nothing to do with infection ..I don't remember and I'm not going to guess. I apologise if I am leading people to believe otherwise!! From what I have since read, they did have strangles in February but I haven't heard anything since. It is possible that the notice was an old one then, if it did say anything about infection at all (it was the previous post that made me *speculate* that that's what it might have said). I wouldn't go to a yard if I knew it had strangles or any other contagious disease.

OAP65

Visit site
Phew! Having been on a yard that got infected with strangles a few years ago, I know how easily the virus is spread. I tend to be a bit OTT when its mentioned :rolleyes:

gembear

Visit site
Pretty sure quite a few RS's carried on with lessons during the whole strangles epidemic. Not going to mention names, but they're just not bothered...

sparkles69

New User
Visit site
Hi i go to pentland hills trekking centre for lessons they are great and cheap £15 for a group lesson and £20 for private lesson they have a bhsai instructor starting in the next couple of weeks. The horses are lovely and very well looked after.