Horse running towards home - help needed.

horsegirl

Visit site
Hi,
We have moved to a new yard and the gate to the school is only maybe 20 ft away from his stable, he always likes to rush towards home (he was allowed to canter & jog home on the roads in his last home) but now he charges down the school in the direction of his stable. How can I stop him doing this, any help much appreciated.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Why was he allowed to canter/jog home in the first place? And especially on roads. Nothing to suggest except make him walk, lots of halts and half halts if need be. I imagine it'll take a while for him to learn though.

Halfpass

Visit site
My boy did this when I first moved yards, I think he must have been alittle unsettle as after 2/3 months it stopped. Maybe just give him a little time to settle in but obviously not actually allowing him to nap. I spent the first 2 months schooling at the opposite end of the school
blush.gif

parsley

Visit site
Bomber did this when I move yards as I think he was worried with all the upheaval- it was a bit unerving for me as usually he is a great granny horse. In the end I turned him away from home and made him stand until he settled and then allowed him to carry on . every single time he started to hurry or jog - hes a sensible horse and soon stopped doing it. I suppose it depends on how ingrained the habit is - Bomber jogging is probably very different from your horse jogging and cantering

4whitesocks

Visit site
My boy does this every time we go somewhere new...just moved yards two weeks ago and rode tonight in the outdoor menage and every chance he got he started heading for 'home'....(i.e. the gate!) - I know him now though and just made him settle (if he started napping in trot brougt him back to walk and leg leg leg to remind him who's boss.....) after his third attempt to turn in that direction and me not letting him he just about agreed that I am actually the boss....

rcm_73

Visit site
I have also moved yards in the last month and am having the same problem! My mare is always a bit of a jogger on the home turn (seems to have an inbuilt compass!) and tried schooling the other day and through napping for the 'herd' she actually stood up (never done this before) so will probably lunge her in the place I intend to school a few times first.

beaconhorse

Visit site
If you really can't stop him actually doing it then I would push him on and make him carry on at the same pace AWAY from the gate, Then if that doesn't work make him go faster away from the gate. Also NEVER finish the sesson by getting off near the gate, always do it the other side, but again never in the same place time after time

ann-jen

Visit site
Is in the school itself he's doing it? If he's charging down the long side in the direction of the yard I would do lots and lots of circles so he's never going in a straight line towards the yard. I think even trying to make the circles as small as you can manage so he has to think more about his own balance around the circle than barging off? When he starts to relax gradually increase the size of the circle until you can eventually go large. If he starts running again reduce the circle diameter again until he learns its a lot less hard work to go sensibly!
Good Luck I'm sure he'll settle in soon.
smile.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. He always knows when he is heading towards home even out on a hack and speeds up.

I don't know why they allowed him to canter & jog as according to his owner 2 owners before me used to let her mum hack him he was so safe.

It is down the long side and we do circle and turn him if he speeds up we will keep at it.