Horse rushing on the lunge

vivhewe

Visit site
When I lunge my horse he always rushes and stops listening to my voice and turns into a tw*t!

For example, tonight he was fine when I led him down the field until I started to lunge him and he set off in walk. He was fine for a circle and then he suddenly started trotting so I asked him to come back to walk but he carried on rushing in trot. He then decided to drag me across the field
frown.gif

I managed to get a hold of him again and changed the rein. He set off in walk then suddenly lunged forward cantering and galloping and trying to drag me up the field again.

He pulls me and wants to trot all the time when I ride him too and I'm getting a bit disheartened with it all. He ignores my voice and does what he likes, and I don't know what to do with him.

I'm so fed up with him tonight I'm ready for selling him! Does anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?

Any help appreciated!

LauraBR

Visit site
Is he full of beans when you lunge him?

I had exactly the same problem with my psycho youngster. Would tear round like a lunatic on the lunge- bucking and broncking squealing for the first few months I had him.

Don't know anything about your horse but if he's v fresh on the lunge you are fighting a losing battle. I used to let my youngster let off steam and let him think it was my idea... if he went hell for leather I'd chase him on etc. When he had had enough of being silly THEN I'd start the schooling on the lunge. Worked a treat. For all he was a psycho he wasn't half good on the lunge with voice commands.

Good luck x

vivhewe

Visit site
He was quite fresh tonight but he is on better grazing than what he was on before I got him so I think that's a factor too. He is a bit like a youngster - he's 10 but only ever done hacking - so I think that doesn't help!

He does the round part sometimes though!
grin.gif

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Is there a specific reason why you are lunging him? Some horses find it very difficult to find their balance, which is why he's taking off at anything faster than a trot.You could try long-reining him. There are plenty of articles on long-reining, but basically he will get sufficient exercise..if that what he needs... and achieve just as much natural balance, if not more, through long-reining exercises. A horse will not get natural self carriage by going round in uniform circles, it puts them in an unnatural position and will cause damage to the neck, spine and pelvis.. With long-reining you can free up those areas. It sounds to me as though you need to concentrate on transitions with him, ridden and groundwork. Verbal commands mean nothing to a horse unless the aids are put in place first, honestly, by saying 'walk' or 'steady' you could be saying 'yoghurt' or 'trousers', all the verbal commands come later after the groundwork is established.

You could go right back to basics with him, start long reining, set up some pole mazes to guide him through, get him going in and out of a line of cones and this will stop him rushing and start listening to you. I know it's a faff to do all this stuff but it really pays off in the end.

Good luck...you'll be fine.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I think you're actually causing some of the problem attempting to lunge him in a field. You can either use electric fencing or jump stands but you need to fence an area off to enable you to contain him.
the trot problem you describe is not actually a problem, the majority of horses go straight into trot, they rarely walk on the lunge straight away, so just say trot when he does it and wait until he looks tired, angle your body away from him and say walllllllkkkk or whatever.
Are you lungeing in side reins and a bit? if not you should be.
There are various "tricks" to use to stop the bombing off, mostly by attaching the lunge to the bit in various methods, I would book a local instructor to come and help you for a session. they should be able to pinpoint where you're going wrong.
Don't give up yet, it takes months and months of serious work to sort a horse out, my daughter has been working almost daily on one of her horses and only now is it starting to come together and behave.
I think you sound as if you have been battling along on your own which is really hard to cope with.
Get some help, make a proper fenced off place, use the sidereins (if he still p*** off put them between his legs to the girth) and don't feel you are a failure, you're not, you're just on the same learning experience with horses as the rest of us...
wink.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
If he takes off then let him think it was your idea- chase him on until he is fed up. When he has quite finished THEN ask him to work and respond to your voice.

vivhewe

Visit site
Thanks gala and hh - I think some longreining is in order!

I was lunging him tonight because it's p:ssed down all day and he needs the exercise. If he'd behaved I was going to get him to pop over a few XC fences (made my own lol! All of 2' high too!) and run alongside, but he was having none of it!

I know I just need to spend time bonding with him but he just doesn't seem interested unless I have food, and when I got my welshie he'd been fed 12 packets of polos a week and was a total b*st*rd so thats why I don't want to fill him with treats all the time!

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
I think that you would both benefit from lunge lessons - I spent a long time lunging and long-reining in lessons and it paid off loads

When you lunge - you need to have someone with you - turning in on you on a circle isn't on - nor is galloping off!! - have someone walk around leading your horse initially so that your horse understands what you need - then work on body language and voice signals - when he disobeys - walk towards him and put him on a smaller circle - but best thing is at this stage is to have a lunge lesson where your instructor can be there at your side teaching you exactly how to control him from the ground
Kate x