Horse sale/advice needed!

xMagiax

New User
Visit site
Hi, We looked to get a horse. We found one, through a friend who had a horse on loan for many years. Owner (Helen) didn't want him at all because she doesn't like geldings, apparently he also wasn't very well treated left with no food and water in a stable for months before they took him on. 😟

So they took him on for all that time. They now no longer have the time for him, so Helen said they don't want him back and said you find him a home....

Thats when we was introduced, originally we was told they would only want a couple of hundred pound or nothing at all on 3 occasions. Told the home is what is most important as he's gonna end up dead or with the gypsies. So need to find a home and he needs a good one. As Helen said she was evidently going to give him to the gypsies or have him put down originally if they couldn't find one because they don't want him that much! 😯

So we took him for a trial period to see if he settled ok with us etc. In that time we have done lots of work with him, as he had been left out in a field for months and has done nothing. We've put lots of work into him getting him back into work, getting fit, curing napping and hacking out. Everything that he come with is in bad condition the rugs don't even fit him etc etc. So we also paid out for equipment for him. Trial period has come to an end and u can guess what they've now done owners Helen now want around £600 pound for him! They said we have also have got tack included so it's a good deal! 😩 Everything he has come with is still in a bag unused because none of even fits him and is in such a state it's disgusting. Plus he has needed a lot of time and work and he really isn't worth that much especially with what he had come with.

We have since found out they have said again, if they have him back they can get more for him if he is dead for horse meat. So they will make their money on him somehow.

We have obviously fallen in love with him now, he is so so so happy and settled. So we reallt don't know what to do, as thats a lot of money to us to find for him but how could we send him back to that life. Where do we stand? Has anyone been in similar situation? I feel very naive and stupid now for trusting in people.

honetpot

Visit site
They will not get £600 for horse meat, offer £200 and wave the cash in front of them, no tack, if you really want him and get them to sign a receipt, have it written out before you hand over the money.

xMagiax

New User
Visit site
Even if he goes back and they try to re sell him, they will not get that much for him. Someone will get on him and try to ride him and go no way. We have now given an offer and said they keep all tack have to wait for a response. It's gone from they were going to give him away to now asking us that much for him even if they give him to the gypsies they aren't going to pay that much for him. ��

jrp204

Visit site
Agree with Honetpot, ring them up and tell them you will pay £200 if they say no tell them you will arrange transport for the next day. Might just work?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They will not get £600 for horse meat, offer £200 and wave the cash in front of them, no tack, if you really want him and get them to sign a receipt, have it written out before you hand over the money.

agree with this make sure you get a signed receipt, some people eh!

xMagiax

New User
Visit site
I'm worried if they we do that they will ok and come and get him! Our friend who introduced it, has told us some stories about the place and horse and has said they are horrible horrible people who own and run the yard and they hate geldings so I fear they would just come and have him shot and he doesn't deserve that not a bad bone in his body.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm worried if they we do that they will ok and come and get him! Our friend who introduced it, has told us some stories about the place and horse and has said they are horrible horrible people who own and run the yard and they hate geldings so I fear they would just come and have him shot and he doesn't deserve that not a bad bone in his body.

Then pay the £600, which lets face it in the grand scheme of horse ownership is peanuts. Think of it this way, at least you have had a good trial period so know you have a good one ....

jrp204

Visit site

It will cost them to come and get him and cost them to have him shot and disposed of. If they categorically refuse then barter, you know their price, as long as you get him for under that surely that would be good. If he is everything you want then even at £600 he's fairly cheap.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'm afraid it seems like they saw you coming OP and have pulled at the heart strings. In your shoes I'd just pay the £600 and have done with it. Yes he may not be worth it, but at least you'll know you've secured his future and in the grand scheme of owning horses £600 is nothing.

millitiger

Visit site
If you are that worried they won't accept less, just pay the 600 and get a receipt.

I don't understand why you'd even be quibbling if you want the horse, 600 is nothing in the grand scheme of things and a drop in the ocean compared to actually paying to keep a horse!

Luci07

Visit site
Take £300 cash and a prewritten receipt. Go and see them and say its that or nothing and they can take him back.

I did have that happen to me when the owner slapped on a further £1000 on a horse that I could not hack out on his own and had significant changes in his feet which would require careful management. I refused to pay and sent the horse back.

scats

Visit site
If you like him and want him, £600 is nothing.
Yes they have taken advantage of you falling in love with him, but you like the horse and obviously to you he's worth that much, so I would find the money. Or offer them £450 and their bag of tack back and see what they say?

ihatework

Visit site
If you like him and want him, £600 is nothing.
Yes they have taken advantage of you falling in love with him, but you like the horse and obviously to you he's worth that much, so I would find the money. Or offer them £450 and their bag of tack back and see what they say?

Good idea. Ask them what they value the tack at, then say 'thanks' I'll return the tack and pay the difference

stormox

Visit site
How old is this horse and what can he do? You have to value him best you can compared to others of the same breeding/age/schooling standard, etc. Value him in your head and offer what you think he's worth. Forget the tack, tell them they can take that back. Seems to me you are being blackmailed by threats of knackers, meatmen, bad home, gypsies etc. .............. take no notice. Offer what he is worth to you.

xMagiax

New User
Visit site
How old is this horse and what can he do? You have to value him best you can compared to others of the same breeding/age/schooling standard, etc. Value him in your head and offer what you think he's worth. Forget the tack, tell them they can take that back. Seems to me you are being blackmailed by threats of knackers, meatmen, bad home, gypsies etc. .............. take no notice. Offer what he is worth to you.

It does feel that way! Although we were told some of this at the beginning as to why they were so desperately trying to find a good home and so cheap... He is 13 and he hasn't done much at all, I would value at £300 compared to my other horses. He's got better but I couldn't even get him to hack out at first! He hasn't done anything for god knows how long he was just left in a field. So it's like starting again. Good idea to offer them to keep the tack and just pay for the pony as that's their excuse why he's so much. It's a big jump in price from a couple of £100 or nothing because there that desperatel to get rid of him and find a good home.

stormox

Visit site
Or, depending on what your contract -if you have one- said when you took him on, tell them they can take him back. But only after they have paid you livery and schooling fees............

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We have a contract which conviently ended it march so technically we are no longer responsible for him.

Send them a bill for April's livery, and see if you have time to blink before they decide to give him to you.

alainax

Visit site
Make sure you are 100% doing the deal with the owner (Helen?) and not the loaners. Give money to owner, get owner to sign receipt. The loaners can't sell the horse, and if you deal with them you might end up with the owner demanding him back, no matter what stories the loaners have told you.

xMagiax

New User
Visit site
Thank you very good point, I will make sure I get all proof and passport ect is the passport easy to transfer can they screw Me over that way? X

Luci07

Visit site
The passport is not proof of ownership. Receipt from the owner, preferably witnessed in these circumstances. Legally, the passport HAS to stay with the horse when moving/ travelling and that is an argument you can put forward. So..no cash to the loaners, no verbal agreements and if in any doubt, think..if you had to prove said sale to a third party, what proof have you.

alainax

Visit site
I'd say this.

" oh that's a shame, I thought we had agreed £200. I do like the horse, and certainly don't need or want his old tack, so would be willing to compromise and meet in the middle at £400. I do however require the deal to be done entirely with the horses owner, and receive a signed receipt from her for the purchase. Alongside the passport of course. If this isn't possible the horse will be ready for collection this evening at 6pm, or I have a few free slots in the coming days which we can arrange.

D66

Visit site
Ask for the passport. He probably hasn't got one. Subtract cost of getting one (including microchip and vet visit) from the price they are asking.
From your description of them I don't suppose they will send to slaughter because it will cost them. They will try the same trick with another punter even if he has to stand in a field for a year first.

SpringArising

Visit site
Then pay the £600, which lets face it in the grand scheme of horse ownership is peanuts. Think of it this way, at least you have had a good trial period so know you have a good one ....

Having re-read the OP I also agree with this.

£600 is still pretty cheap, even for a project. You love the horse, so surely that alone is worth £600 to you?

Also, if you can't find £600 to scrape together then I really do think you should re-consider if maybe horse ownership is right for you at this moment in time. What would happen if you got a large vet bill?

Merrymoles

Visit site
I think the asking what they value the tack at and then deducting that is a good idea.

If that doesn't work and you have really fallen for him, then I would pay the asking price after a bit of hard bargaining, keep their grotty tack, clean it up and flog it.