Horse search blues

lewis2015

Visit site
So I've never experienced this before (my current horse was the first one I viewed when looking and he just seemed to fit the bill so bought him) but I am getting blue and frustrated looking for another horse. To be honest, I used to read these sort of threads on here and just think 'oh woe is me, I can't find a new pony' (first world problems and all that) but it is becoming really draining! I've viewed loads now that were either not right (case in point: rearing when I took one for a 'test' hack) or the owners just seemed reticent and wishy-washy about actually wanting to sell/ loan them.

I think it's because of what I'm looking for. I delusionally thought it would be easy to find an older horse looking for a quieter life hacking out a couple of times a week, but just can't find anything at all. Ideally, I'd like it to be big enough for my OH to ride so 16hh+ but nothing like that really seems to come up that's suitable for a novice like him so instead I was looking for something 15hh+ for me but still no joy.

I am a member of most of my local horsey pages on FB, check Horsemart and Preloved quite a lot, and have looked at charities like Horses4Homes but nothing in my area at the moment, unless I go for a 14.2hh cob but never had one that small and am 5'8 so don't know if I'd feel huge on it.

Anyone got any suggestions of other places I could look? Or any tips on where to find a safe hacking horse for my OH in the North West!?

Don't worry if not, think I just needed to have a grumble and get it out as OH on holiday at the mo so home alone with no one to chat to about it!

Thanks

Bernster

Visit site
Can't help,with the specific questions but all I can say is that there have been a few similar threads on here and I think most maybe all people have found a horse now, and are really pleased, hopefully! So take heart, it will happen!

lewis2015

Visit site
Can't help,with the specific questions but all I can say is that there have been a few similar threads on here and I think most maybe all people have found a horse now, and are really pleased, hopefully! So take heart, it will happen!

Thanks Bernster :) Yes, hopefully it will happen! Just panicking as my YO is reserving a stable for me that's becoming vacant on 1st May, but doubt she'll want to hold it long as they usually get filled straight away :/ Suppose I'll just have to start paying the rent on it before the horse arrives!

debsflo

Visit site
Same here ,been looking for ages and I too have found a fab yard from May 1st will be paying to hold it. Nice straightforward sensible allrounder are like hens teeth.

lewis2015

Visit site
Same here ,been looking for ages and I too have found a fab yard from May 1st will be paying to hold it. Nice straightforward sensible allrounder are like hens teeth.

I know :/ Just wish I/ OH weren't so tall as see loads under 15hh but just don't think they would suit! Good luck in your search :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Nice straightforward sensible allrounder are like hens teeth.

An allrounder, that will jump a reasonable course, do a dressage test competently, do a cross country course & be safe & sane to hack out is a valuable animal & will command a good price. They are out there. You don't say what your budget is but you may have to revise it to find an animal like that. :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, I am one of the people who was putting a thread up over winter. I listed some of the failed viewings as far back as September!

Remember that you only need to find one! So, look at them and one day you will find it.

I used to buy for the Police, and we had a limited budget of 4K, to get a 17hh, young and healthy, sane and able to pass stringent 5 stage vetting, ready to go into work horse. To complicate matters further we needed to persuade owners to give us a one month trial! That was a hard job, and took many viewings!

We would scour the internet every morning, and be ready to go there and then if it looked good. The last one I bought, Harry, was less than 4 hours between him being advertised, us ringing, going to a different county and agreeing the purchase. Other than that we would buy ones that were a bit "in the rough," or those that had got top side of their owners.

In some ways it has been more difficult buying for myself though, as for me at home I also have to fall in love! For work I just had to feel safe, and know that I would want to ride the horse for 4 + hours a day, to actually be thrilled was not a requirement.

There was an old saying in our department "You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince."

I had a false start in October, when I bought Betty, who was fabulous, under priced, gorgeous..... but I left the last job due to a bad back and her size (17hh to share with OH) upset my ba ck and she had to go. have seen videos recently of her and she is as fantastic as I thought she would be, is jumping well, and their trainer thinks she will be Advanced Dressage (I think less as she is a bit coarse through her hocks, but she really does move). This was a bik kick in the teeth, as I lost a little money on her, and felt very sad.

This time I have literally doubled my budget, and got one that has been off for the winter. He is here to be got fit, and I have first refusal. Sid has been a breath of fresh air, looking at all those mis-described horses had made me forget that nice young horses do actually exist!

Keep looking, it is the right time of year. Ask questions, but most of all go look at the horses, and start kissing the frogs!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I feel your pain. Have been tentatively looking since the end of last summer and ramped up the search in Feb when I knew my boy had been sold.

I've had two failed vettings (the second one I'm still struggling to forget about) and despite having a check list and speaking to sellers at length before viewing I've still seen a bunch of unsuitables.

I'm off to see one that's super local this afternoon and keeping fingers and toes crossed he might be suitable as I've actually seen him out and about competing a few times and always liked the look of him.

Best of luck with your search.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
have you looked on horsequest. they are usually more pricey than preloved or horsemart , there are a couple who look hopeful but as I don't know your budget not sure if they would be too much money. safe and sensible horses are usually snapped up quickly and command a good price...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I feel your pain. Have been tentatively looking since the end of last summer and ramped up the search in Feb when I knew my boy had been sold.

I've had two failed vettings (the second one I'm still struggling to forget about) and despite having a check list and speaking to sellers at length before viewing I've still seen a bunch of unsuitables.

I'm off to see one that's super local this afternoon and keeping fingers and toes crossed he might be suitable as I've actually seen him out and about competing a few times and always liked the look of him.

good luck FF, I remember your threads about the failed one. fingers crossed for today!!!!

lottiepony

Visit site
Keep going! I was having trouble with people not getting back to me and had basically stopped looking properly. But of course still had the odd check and low and behold the one I viewed Monday is being collected after the weekend :) Don't be put off by prices as counting my lucky stars his owner accepted my very cheeky offer, most people are open to sensible ones. Super excited especially after such a disappointing start to horse hunting. So just hang on in there and remember there's never any rush. Fate will see it fall into place and you'll find your next superstar.

oldie48

Visit site
Try putting the word around with local trainers and riding clubs. I found Mr B by word of mouth and viewed him before he'd been advertised. He was the wrong size, the wrong colour and the wrong breed. He also wasn't as established as I had wanted and was cheaper than my budget but I've not regretted buying him. I really only went to view him because a trainer thought he'd be suitable, if I'd seen him advertised I wouldn't have even rung up about him.

lewis2015

Visit site
Hi, I am one of the people who was putting a thread up over winter. I listed some of the failed viewings as far back as September!

Remember that you only need to find one! So, look at them and one day you will find it.

I used to buy for the Police, and we had a limited budget of 4K, to get a 17hh, young and healthy, sane and able to pass stringent 5 stage vetting, ready to go into work horse. To complicate matters further we needed to persuade owners to give us a one month trial! That was a hard job, and took many viewings!

We would scour the internet every morning, and be ready to go there and then if it looked good. The last one I bought, Harry, was less than 4 hours between him being advertised, us ringing, going to a different county and agreeing the purchase. Other than that we would buy ones that were a bit "in the rough," or those that had got top side of their owners.

In some ways it has been more difficult buying for myself though, as for me at home I also have to fall in love! For work I just had to feel safe, and know that I would want to ride the horse for 4 + hours a day, to actually be thrilled was not a requirement.

There was an old saying in our department "You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince."

I had a false start in October, when I bought Betty, who was fabulous, under priced, gorgeous..... but I left the last job due to a bad back and her size (17hh to share with OH) upset my ba ck and she had to go. have seen videos recently of her and she is as fantastic as I thought she would be, is jumping well, and their trainer thinks she will be Advanced Dressage (I think less as she is a bit coarse through her hocks, but she really does move). This was a bik kick in the teeth, as I lost a little money on her, and felt very sad.

This time I have literally doubled my budget, and got one that has been off for the winter. He is here to be got fit, and I have first refusal. Sid has been a breath of fresh air, looking at all those mis-described horses had made me forget that nice young horses do actually exist!

Keep looking, it is the right time of year. Ask questions, but most of all go look at the horses, and start kissing the frogs!

Thanks so much for such a thoughtful, detailed and helpful response :) I felt a bit disheartened last night but have messaged about 2 potential ones today so hopefully they will fit the bill. And you're right - just have to keep looking!

lewis2015

Visit site

Thank you :) I hope the one you went to see this afto is the one for you :)

lewis2015

Visit site
have you looked on horsequest. they are usually more pricey than preloved or horsemart , there are a couple who look hopeful but as I don't know your budget not sure if they would be too much money. safe and sensible horses are usually snapped up quickly and command a good price...

Thanks, I'll try it. Yes, I'm not expecting to pay peanuts! :)

lewis2015

Visit site
Go and try a 14.2hh cob. Mine is 14.1hh maybe pushing 14.2hh on his tiptoes and he rides huge! No one of 5ft8 would look or feel too big on him :)

Thanks - yes, I've just messaged the seller. Worth a look! I just don't want to be labelled as one of the ubiquitous 'timewasters' that all ads go on about as looking at ones that are not 100% right, but then I am willing to compromise so I always think it's worth looking!

lewis2015

Visit site
Keep going! I was having trouble with people not getting back to me and had basically stopped looking properly. But of course still had the odd check and low and behold the one I viewed Monday is being collected after the weekend :) Don't be put off by prices as counting my lucky stars his owner accepted my very cheeky offer, most people are open to sensible ones. Super excited especially after such a disappointing start to horse hunting. So just hang on in there and remember there's never any rush. Fate will see it fall into place and you'll find your next superstar.

Thank you :) So happy for you that you've found one! Good luck with him :)

lewis2015

Visit site
Have you tried putting up a wanted ad?

I have put one up via Horses4homes, but only had one contact through that and that was an unsuitable horse. But yes, I probably need to be more 'out there' so will look at other places I can post a wanted ad :) Thanks

lewis2015

Visit site
Try putting the word around with local trainers and riding clubs. I found Mr B by word of mouth and viewed him before he'd been advertised. He was the wrong size, the wrong colour and the wrong breed. He also wasn't as established as I had wanted and was cheaper than my budget but I've not regretted buying him. I really only went to view him because a trainer thought he'd be suitable, if I'd seen him advertised I wouldn't have even rung up about him.

Thanks, good tip!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks so much for such a thoughtful, detailed and helpful response :) I felt a bit disheartened last night but have messaged about 2 potential ones today so hopefully they will fit the bill. And you're right - just have to keep looking!

You are welcome. I have also helped clients buy a horse, and many times they have just been on the verge of giving up when the perfect one appears. Often-times the "perfect one" is not at all what we thought it would look like! Good luck, and keep us updated!

Oh, and if you tell us a shopping list some kind HHO's will usually look and suggest some :)

rachk89

Visit site
I dunno what you are looking to pay or where you are, but heres aa few I found that seem pretty decent and arent badly priced.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...dstone/allround-schoolmaster-type-483229.html <-- quite like him, nothing special to look at really, but seems genuine enough.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...3hh-tb-gelding-hackhuntteam-chase-483306.html <-- cheap because of a few ground manner issues, dunno how you feel on them.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...pthill/smart-british-sports-horse-483094.html <-- ok not really a serious one as I doubt she would suit your OH, but she's so pretty I think you should buy her just for you. :p

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas.../east-sussex/rye/great-allrounder-483186.html <-- sounds about right for what you want.

Sorry, I like shopping for horses even when they arent for me.

lewis2015

Visit site
I dunno what you are looking to pay or where you are, but heres aa few I found that seem pretty decent and arent badly priced.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...dstone/allround-schoolmaster-type-483229.html <-- quite like him, nothing special to look at really, but seems genuine enough.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...3hh-tb-gelding-hackhuntteam-chase-483306.html <-- cheap because of a few ground manner issues, dunno how you feel on them.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...pthill/smart-british-sports-horse-483094.html <-- ok not really a serious one as I doubt she would suit your OH, but she's so pretty I think you should buy her just for you. :p

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas.../east-sussex/rye/great-allrounder-483186.html <-- sounds about right for what you want.

Sorry, I like shopping for horses even when they arent for me.

Wow, thanks :) I particularly like the look of the last one :)