Horse Share - In America (South Carolina) How much?

Apalacia01

Visit site
I am emigrating on 4th August to do an MA in Charleston, South Carolina, and am already thinking about what I am going to do without a horse. So I have been searching around and found this....

http://charleston.craigslist.org/grd/745710468.html

I have e-mailed the woman, who is lovely, and the horse seems perfect....but can you guess how much she wants me to pay for 3 days a week?!

A couple of guesses, and then I will let rip....its not actually THAT bad, but I would have barely paid for it here....

TarrSteps

Visit site
Is she leasing the horse as a made competition horse? With showing privileges and a good chance of winning? In other words a competition lease rather than a share? That would add to the price beyond half of costs.

I'd guess half her board and costs (which in a good facility in that area might be between $500 and $1000) so anywhere between $250 and $500, although the upper limit would be very unusual and likely unrealistic.

Apalacia01

Visit site
When I e-mailed, she wasn't particularly happy I don't think about the horse going to shows, but I expect that if the right rider came along, it would be able to keep.

Board is $300 - checked that yesterday.

zoegolding

Visit site
Just a quick mention - not sure if you are aware that Novice level eventing in the States is not the same as here - its the equivalent of Intro over here. It then goes to Training (Pre-Novice), Prelim (Novice), Intermediate & Advanced. Not really sure whether that's something you were interested in but just thought I'd mention it!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'd say . . . she wants to cover her costs? In other words have you pay her full board for half of the horse? (This is not "standard" by any means, just that I've seen people try it on and the tone of your original posts suggests something like this.)

The usual part-board is half the board or half the costs for 3 rides a week, or some variation thereof. Because DIY is very rare in most areas there in generally not an option to work off part of the board unless the owner of the horse has his/her own place in which cases I have known some people trade riding for contributing to chores or farm sitting regularly.

Apalacia01

Visit site
She wants $400 - which to me is quite expensive...but....that includes one lesson per week (with her) at $50 a pop....which I wasn't too sure about and said that so she has come back and said that could do it for $300 per month, which seems more reasonable, especially as I would be getting 4 lessons a month. I expect that it is because he is a lovely beast, and she doesn't want anyone buggering him up. With lessons it makes it good value, but to tell you the truth, I want to get on and just ride, so expect that this isn't the share for me.

Thanks TarrSteps - I think it might be worthwhile looking into him, seems I would be getting rather a lot for my money. Its just lots of the other leases around are $100 p/m which is what I would expect (my mare has a sharer and pays 60GBP but she is out).