horse share question...

mazstreet

Visit site
I have a cracking 15.1 8 year old gelding, who i'd like to advertise for share, 2 days a week. the yard he is on has excellent hacking with xc jumps, a lovely outdoor school and people to ride out with. He is brilliant, turns his hoof to anything, is kind and mannerly and generally a lovely boy.

Now my question is, how much contribution should/ could I ask for. I've previously had a sharer who didn't contribute and that was fine initially (as I didn't need her money to fund his upkeep) but she's not reliable any more and I feel if someone was paying they would actually turn up on their days so they get something for their money.

ANY suggestions or thoughts welcome.

Last edited:

Deltaflyer

Visit site
When I did a share we split the week in to three riding days each and the horse got one day off. Sharer paid half of everything and did the chores on her days as if he was her own horse. Going to shows was by mutual agreement so we each got a fair chance to compete. It seemed to work well as sharer felt she had a bit more involvement with the horse.

mazstreet

Visit site
I was thing along those lines, He would need turning out in the morning, mucking out & riding and then bringing back in for the night and giving his tea. There's no muck picking required so just his stable and wiping over his tack...

mazstreet

Visit site
When I did a share we split the week in to three riding days each and the horse got one day off. Sharer paid half of everything and did the chores on her days as if he was her own horse. Going to shows was by mutual agreement so we each got a fair chance to compete. It seemed to work well as sharer felt she had a bit more involvement with the horse.

Half of everything...livery, shoes, wormer, insurance, feed etc everything??

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Half of everything...livery, shoes, wormer, insurance, feed etc everything??

Apart from the insurance which I paid for as he was my horse. She has her own BHS Gold cover for public liability, but yes. She as more than happy to do so as she got the horse to herself totally for the three days (I did him on his day off) plus she got to take him out competing and training on a regular basis as I wasn't in to it so much back then.

kamili

Visit site
I'd deffo go with half of everything. But be sure to put a contract or written agreement of some sort in place to protect yourself and the sharer. Make sure to list and describe what tack/rugs/kit you have for him, and what the ts&cs are and what days etc, along with what happens if something gets accidentally damaged or a vet is required.

I think the BHS have sample agreements you could use as a base.

kamili

Visit site
Include days off on it too, I've been stung on that one, and stipulate that they need to have their own insurance to cover them when they ride

LHIS

Visit site
Half of everything for two days? That doesn't seem right to me.
If it were me and I were looking for a sharer I would work out what he costs me weekly, then ask ask for them to cover his costs on their days, plus a contribution for costs like shoes if they had them.
Around here a share is done generally at a rate of £10/day.

Last edited:

mazstreet

Visit site
it sounds like his previous sharer had it really easy and how do I get repaid for my generosity? (I do the mornings even on her days and took his rug off) Last week after I finished work at 10pm, I messaged her to ask how he was when she rode as he'd had some pretty intensive physio the week before, she replied 'oh god, it slipped my mind. I haven't been up' fortunately my friend thought it was odd that he was unrugged at 7.30pm and rugged him up, filled his water up as it was low and gave him some hay. #fuming!!!!

mazstreet

Visit site
If it were me and I were looking for a sharer I would work out what he costs me weekly, then ask ask for them to cover his costs on their days, plus a contribution for costs like shoes if they had them.

certainly wont be asking for half of everything for two days, dont worry xx

kamili

Visit site

oops missed the two days bit sorry! agree with the above.

Bernster

Visit site
There seems to be quite a range. I've charged £100 for 2 days a week which was less than one third livery at the time. It seems fairly uncommon for people to really pay half of what it would actually cost per day if you broke it down fully. If someone was a great rider and was actually improving my horse, and saving me schooling fees, I'd look at it differently.

LHIS

Visit site
Yes as Bernster says it depends what you're looking for from a sharer? If your horse is a light school and hacking type it would be very different to something that is ready to / is already competing and you're looking for them to school further and maybe compete.

mazstreet

Visit site
There seems to be quite a range. I've charged £100 for 2 days a week which was less than one third livery at the time. It seems fairly uncommon for people to really pay half of what it would actually cost per day if you broke it down fully. If someone was a great rider and was actually improving my horse, and saving me schooling fees, I'd look at it differently.

absolutely but i'm HOPING I can find someone who will want to hack and school and generally have fun as he's such a fun little horse. Also, i'm wanting financial contribution to ensure commitment rather than actually needing it. x

Bernster

Visit site
absolutely but i'm HOPING I can find someone who will want to hack and school and generally have fun as he's such a fun little horse. Also, i'm wanting financial contribution to ensure commitment rather than actually needing it. x

That's been the kind of shares I've had in the past. I'd see that as a share where they should pay a reasonable amount as they are getting a fair amount out of that type of arrangement. And def agree about it helping with motivation and commitment, sadly people can devalue something if they're not paying for it.

Crystal-Rio

Visit site
I share my horse, who is a DIY Livery and my sharer pays £80 pcm towards his keep.

In return, she goes down to him whenever she likes, but if she does, she does all the usual jobs - mucking out/feed/nets/poopicking the field in the summer/tack cleaning etc.

However, my lad has had a bad back and when he goes through periods (and he does) when he can't be ridden for a few weeks, I don't take any money from her. This is because he still needs longreining in walk and all the other jobs need doing, so I don't feel that its right that she goes down three/sometimes four times a week and does all the donkey work, plus pays for the privilege, when she can't ride and to be honest, her help is invaluable.

The arrangement works extremely well for both of us.

mazstreet

Visit site
Basically i'm thinking £15 per week for 2 days share of my horse and they would need their own insurance. They would need to turn out/bring in muck out stable- do hay and water and feed. They'd be able to have lessons on him if they wish or just ride around a 500 acre farm with xc jumps or use the school with show jumps, I also like my tack wiped over after it's been used or cleaned properly if it's been rained on or has got muddy...Does this sound reasonable??

I guess anything like competing would be discussed separately?? I'm only NEEDING a rest a couple of days a week as i've got arthritis in my back, wrist and ankle and i'm only 30 :(

Last edited:

LHIS

Visit site
Basically i'm thinking £15 per week for 2 days share of my horse and they would need their own insurance. They would need to turn out/bring in muck out stable- do hay and water and feed. They'd be able to have lessons on him if they wish or just ride around a 500 acre farm with xc jumps or use the school with show jumps, I also like my tack wiped over after it's been used or cleaned properly if it's been rained on or has got muddy...Does this sound reasonable??

I guess anything like competing would be discussed separately?? I'm only NEEDING a rest a couple of days a week as i've got arthritis in my back, wrist and ankle and i'm only 30 :(

Sounds very reasonable to me. The only you might want to consider is insisting on a lesson weekly or twice a month just to ensure they are getting tuition. I say this because being a bit cynical myself I'd want to know my horse was being ridden properly and adding this stipulation would make me feel better.
Competing to be discussed seperately yes, along with iron clad insurance for that.
It goes without saying too to be thorough when looking for your sharer and see them ride etc, if it were me I'd want to have them with me a few times to make sure everything was crystal clear. God help any sharers I may have in the future! Lol.
Hope you find someone and the rest is beneficial for you.

ETA - lessons to also ensure horse is using himself properly and this getting rider to ride him as such. With a XC fun ride on your doorstep you could easily attract some speed demons who just want to hare around.

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Yes sounds fair to me. I used to do a 4 week trial period, payment monthly in advance, and had a contract based on the bhs one with notice period in it. It annoys me when people don't wipe off tack when it's wet or muddy, it's flipping expensive and should be looked after, and it's v easy and quick to do!

mazstreet

Visit site
Yes sounds fair to me. I used to do a 4 week trial period, payment monthly in advance, and had a contract based on the bhs one with notice period in it. It annoys me when people don't wipe off tack when it's wet or muddy, it's flipping expensive and should be looked after, and it's v easy and quick to do!

i know!!! and don't get me started on not changing the numnah if its get sweaty and needs a wash!!!

mazstreet

Visit site
Sounds very reasonable to me. The only you might want to consider is insisting on a lesson weekly or twice a month just to ensure they are getting tuition. I say this because being a bit cynical myself I'd want to know my horse was being ridden properly and adding this stipulation would make me feel better.
Competing to be discussed seperately yes, along with iron clad insurance for that.
It goes without saying too to be thorough when looking for your sharer and see them ride etc, if it were me I'd want to have them with me a few times to make sure everything was crystal clear. God help any sharers I may have in the future! Lol.
Hope you find someone and the rest is beneficial for you.

ETA - lessons to also ensure horse is using himself properly and this getting rider to ride him as such. With a XC fun ride on your doorstep you could easily attract some speed demons who just want to hare around.

god help any sharers who are interested in my boy!! LOL!!!!

FFAQ

Visit site
Interesting thread. A lady has started riding one of my horses. Initially I was happy just to let her ride to help fitten him up, but I've actually had to invest in another saddle for him (coincidently 2 of my horses were exactly the same size so shared a saddle), and she just informs me that she will be riding and always manages to appear just as all the chores are finished. She's actually a really nice lady with experience riding racehorses so she's much braver than I am when my hand-reared cob decides to throw his toys out of the pram, but I was wondering about broaching the subject of a share/loan arrangement.

Evie91

Visit site
My share arrangement is slightly different from described. Due to time constraints (working hours) and living 30minutes from the horse I was clear that I was willing to pay more so all I have to do is turn up and ride (obvs will bring in/turn out,groom etc).
I pay a lot more than has been stated so far as I wanted to pay set amount to include dentist, Chiro etc. It's important to me that horses have regular checks etc and wanted a horse kept at the same standard I kept my own ( didn't want my time marred worrying that shoes over due, Chiro not booked, dentist etc).
I have an agreement in place, can ride three days a week but if I'm not able to (eg recently away with work) it's not a problem.
I have rider insurance and have bought my own tack.
I can do whatever I like with the horse on my days (hack, jump, school, lessons, trips out). I aim to have a lesson at least once a month. I communicate with the owner at least weekly, setting out my plans for my days and would never just 'forget' to turn up!
So very different from the arrangement you are offering. I do think you are offering a very good deal, horse sounds lovely, facilities fab. Hope you find someone reliable.
Does you yard do jobs (for cost obvs)? Just thinking that should be part of agreement in your case. For example, if sharer can't turn out, they pay the yard to do it on top of their contribution to you or pay for part livery if they are away?