Horse Sharing at 60pw good/bad?

BonnieChouls

New User
Visit site
My riding school shares horses out at 60pw - you get full use of the horse (at pre-agreed time slots) and don't have to help out with maintenance - (which i'd actually like to do) is this good value?

Pretty good facilities etc.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
That seems like a lot of money
crazy.gif

How many slots do you get? Can you choose the times?

Gwenneh

www.insanedressagegirl.com
"full use of the horse" and "at pre-agreed time slots" seems to me like a contradiction in terms. For £60pw I'd be looking for full use of the horse whenever I chose, especially given that my work schedule wouldn't always allow me to pick the times when I went.

BonnieChouls

New User
Visit site
I think its reasonable slots during the week - 3 evenings and a half a weekend day, I thought it sounded alot but thought that as they would still be doing everything for the horse that made it more reasonable?

Foxford

Visit site
Could you not pay for your own horse with that? I don't have my own horse for financial reasons. I find sharing/riding a good substitute, but if I had that money I would get my own!! I would expect full use for that price, although I am up north!!!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
This is my thought, basically you are just paying for 4 lessons/hacks a week on a designated horse.
I used to share a horse for £15 pw, and although I did all the chores I rode 4 days a week and could do more if I wanted and wasn't restricted to certain times of the day.

Tia

Visit site
I offer something similar to this. My charges are $17 per day (equivalent to £17) and the horse is available for you for the whole of that day. It means that you only book the day and not the time. Weekends are more expensive though. I think that price isn't too bad to be honest.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
My sharer pays £50 a month but she is not "strictly a sharer". Basically she rides my old boy when she can and helps out in emergencies, rides probably 3 times a week and we fit round each other but Sundays are always mine as my daughter is with her dad that day and its MY DAY!!

£60 a week would keep your own horse DIY at our place.

debbielinder

Visit site
my horse doesnt cost me that much! when i used to share her i paid 20 a week not including shoes and insurance but since i have owned her she prob costs me on average 50 a week

eekmon

Visit site
I too like Marsden have a part loaner who has my horse 3 days a week for £50 a month + half his shoes (£22.50) Though she has him D.I.Y on a Sunday he is done for her the other 3 days.It helps me with time/money and she gets a horse 3 days a week to herself
smile.gif
Allround it works out fine for us!

dwi

Visit site
My horse only costs me about £120 per month on DIY livery with gorgeous facilities. If you can afford it it might give you an idea in the short term as to whether horse ownership is for you but I don't think its great value. You wouldn't get to bond with the horse in the way that you get with ownershrip. I've had Daisy since March, in part because my instrucotr said that I wasn't going to go much further on riding school horses, even good ones because they have so many riders of varying qualities that they develop some bad/lazy habits. Aside from being better value than the same number of riding lessons I can't see that its great value.

claire1976

Visit site
When I had a sharer I asked for £20 p/w in winter and £15 in summer plus half of shoeing costs. The sharer got 2 days in week to ride and 1 weekend day. I thought that was reasonable. For £60 a week you could easily keep your own on DIY/Part livery.

teapot

Visit site
I wouldn't personally for that amount.

I went to look at a horse for share. Would have only been able to ride it once a week, and it wasn't good out hacking so I would have ridden it in a tiny school for half an hour. Owner wanted £65 for shoes (was having another sharer for another day a week) and if I wanted to ride it more often, it would be more money.

Have you had a look at local ads in the area?

Although can see the attraction of doing it at your RS - if my RS offered me a sharer type thing I'd be tempted on facilities alone

Thistle

Visit site
I don't think it's that expensive.

Full livery here is £90 a week, then you have shoeing, insurance, vets bills etc and none of the worry. Also presumably you can trade up to a bigger/better model when you are ready, so none of the hassle of buying and selling either.

Alternatively you could book 2 or 3 lessons a week but then you wouldn't get a bond so much.

Chex

Visit site
I suppose it depends. Its cheaper if you were wanting to ride that much anyway at a RS, 4 rides a week would come to about £90 or there abouts. But I keep Chex for half that amount in the summer (thats including everything) and still less than that in the winter. You could probably find a private share for much less than that, just depends what you want I guess.

Tempi

Visit site
to put that in perspective, i share out my elementary/medium level dressage mare to a young rider and they pay £10 a time to use her, thats whenever they want on whatever weekends/days they want, however i keep the mare fit, as in competition fit, i school her everyevening in the winter and still compete her. I am letting them downgrade her to novice level which means i wont be able to compete her anymore, and they will still be paying £10 a time for her.

I also do all the mucking out, clipping, grooming, i pay for shoes, vets bills, i keep her field poo-free (!) and i pay for everything she needs.

I think £60 a week is very extreme!!
blush.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Our yard charges £45 p/w but that includes a lesson a week too. You still can't just take the horse away to shows at the weekend though. I think for someone who cannot afford the initial outlay, or perhaps can't commit to the routine of exercise etc that's required, then these schemes can be useful, but no substitute for owning your own.

At the end of the day, even for £45 p/w, all you are effectively doing is paying the upkeep of the horse for the riding school to use
blush.gif

happyhack

Visit site
I pay £30 a week and get Jack 3 times a week as agreed by his owner and when she goes on holiday i have him whenever i want. I think £60 a week is a bit steep.

kick_On

Visit site
IMO your being taken for a ride!!!!!!!!!!
that works out at £240 per month, a bit steep
I looking for helper and they can ride upto 3 times and week and in return small stable duties and it FREE!!!!!!!!!!!! and i have two competition horses

OWLIE185

Visit site
I think that is fairly good value if the horse is shod regularly, insured, fed and stabled and all you do is ride the horse without having to do anything else. Basically the horse that you are using is in effect on Full Livery and all you are doing is riding it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think it's an awful lot of money - talk about money for old rope.

If you really want to enter in to a share situation look out for a private one. You will get so much more out of it.

horsegirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I offer something similar to this. My charges are $17 per day (equivalent to £17) and the horse is available for you for the whole of that day. It means that you only book the day and not the time. Weekends are more expensive though. I think that price isn't too bad to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

$17 is not equivalent to £17! There are over 2 Canadian $ to the £ so $17 is about £8

Tia

Visit site
I have explained this to you before. The buying power of $17 is exactly the same as the buying power of £17. You are yet again talking about the exchange rate which has absolutely no bearing on anyone who earns money in Canada......it only affects prices if you are bringing £'s into Canada and paying for everything in £'s.

General rough prices:
Gas - 89 cents per litre in Canada - 89p per litre in UK
Decent house - $300,000 in Canada - comparable house in UK - £300,000
Salary - $30,000 in Canada - comparable to £30,000 in UK
Car - $15,000 in Canada - comparable car £15,000 in UK

Do you understand now?? The exchange rate has absolutely NO bearing on buying power for the person living in that country.