Horse sharing/loaning

gill84

Visit site
Just an option at the min but for those who do it, is it a good idea or a bad head? I work ridiculous hours, Sundays only off (unless I beg for a 2nd day), up before the birds and home waaaayy after dark! I have someone ride her on a Saturday but if it's raining, cold, windy, cloudy, a bit late in the day or she has something else to do she won't bother!
How easy would it be or rather how interested would somebody be do you all think to put my girl on loan/shared?She would absolutly have to stay where she is all I want is someone to muck out, groom and exercise. I wouldn't expect any financial commitment just a little help so it's 1 less for my mum to do and I don't feel she's being neglected. Would that appeal do you think?

bex1984

Visit site
I've got sharers for the first time ever and it is fab! I don't ask for any money, just that they help me out and in exchange they can basically ride pretty much whenever they want. It has been quite a revelation to be honest - to have some help is just brilliant and pony gets extra exercise. They turn out and fetch in for me every week day, which means I only have to go up once a day, and I turn their little pony out on weekends. If they ride him they'll do everything, muck out etc, although I sometimes go down and do it anyway :)

The one thing I would say is you have to be prepared to take a step back and accept that they might do things a little differently to you, just because we're all different, but as long as your horse is happy and healthy, who cares? My sharers were complete beginners but they do a fab job with my pony and most importantly they love him to bits and he's happy.

It does depend on the horse really how easy it is to find someone. The quirkier the horse, the harder it will be.

gill84

Visit site
She's a bomb proof 16.2 ID, been there done it all, hacks on the buckle so surely somebody would help me out. If things worked out by all means they could compete her I just hate to think at 17 yr old she's heading for an early retirement when she loves to get out and about but through the winter the dark nights and my job just don't allow it

Pocket_Rocket

Visit site
I think you would be better off with a sharer we have a lot of sharers on our yard and they are all fab. It's also good as we all look out for each other if for example a new sharer comes on the yard we do our best to help them and also make sure the horse is being looked after properly. I used to share for quite a few years before I got my boy and really enjoyed it. Think I treated the share horses better than my own! lol Definately a good idea especially if you don't have the time i'm sure someone will bite your hand off I contributed financially and did yard work for the horses I had when I was sharing.

Spotsrock

Visit site
I love my sharer. She was a tall 14y/o when she turned up for my 15.2 ex racer. Now 16 with own horse on loan we share a little yard and responsibilities. She's like family, and my horses love her. She just got a moped so she'll be able to help more on her own soon. I had 2 rubbish ones before she arrived though, be ready for false starts and keep an eye where u can initially. One of mine decided that as skinny tb was forward going, needed less feed. Just led to very skinny tb! Alex does (well did when she was sharing, her horse now.) as she is asked and adopted my way of doing things quite quickly. Consider an older teen but talk to parents. Alex's parents are great and understood I took no responsibility for accidents because they do happen no matter what.

noblesteed

Visit site
I have had 2 sharers for my horse, due to my busy job. One lady who just rode 2 days a week, and I currently have a teenager. So far I have found the teenager better as she is learning lots, very keen but also does things my way!!!! The adult thought she knew a lot and actually didn't which was hard.
The teenager has a part-loan agreement which I downloaded and adapted off BHS website, only really because I am a teacher and I don't want ot be held responsible if she has an accident! And also so she is covered on horse's insurance. THough her parents are quite laid back and accept that falling off happens. She is giving me £10 a week because she is doing all the riding as I am pregnant, I am saving this money as it will pay for horse's livery once my wages drop to state maternity pay! I don;t hink it's a bad deal though as I was giving her 2 lessons a week during the summer months for free and taught her how to do a lot more than she could.

CalllyH

Visit site
Ten pounds a week is good, I'd happily pay that but most want 25 quid per week and towards shoes which I'm not prepared to pay. As a sharer I also struggled to get insurance they said if it was proven an exchange of money took place the insurance would be invalid. I would happily give three days a week up to ride and muck out and poo pick but it's also the distance of yards for me as petrol soon adds up. I've gone back to lessons in the mean time and love it!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I think it can work really well. For quite a few people its about sharing the work and money is not an issue in the arrangement. I would be happy to share for no money.
I am currently sharing my friends mare really, I help her out and ride, she is away this weekend so I am on duty. I love going up, i find it soothing to be around horses, as I think many others do. I do not pay towards this mare, it just gives my friend time off and lets me be on the yard for a reason, although YO's are very happy to have me up there still bless them.

I think you should get interest as plenty of people would love to have time with a horse and yet don't have the money...

dollymix

Visit site
I have also had great success sharing my horses. Dolly has had a couple of sharers and has now got a full time loaner and since getting my new girl, dulcie, I have found someone to hack Luna a few times a week which really helps me out!

I get to give more time to the new girl knowing that Luna is still getting the exercise and attention she loves!

abc321

Visit site
It is good from the loanee's point of view as they do not have the responsibility or cost of the horse whilst getting lots of time with the horse. I would say the selling point is you get more time with the horse whereas in a lesson you are being told what to do and have to hand the horse back and you can learn more by trying it out yourself.
You have to make sure they are reliable and watch them/teach them in the start and make sure that they have the right experience. In my loan the owner found some teenagers who were getting the bridle wrong 6 weeks in and overestimated their experience so readvertised. The rider has to match the horse e.g. I was too nervous hacking despite him being a novice horse and have just given it up despite doing really well with him apart from that. He has done things with me he wouldn't do with the owner to test me. There is a slight conflict of interest that he is yours and you will have to allow the loaner time too to do their own thing when you are happy.

Have you looked at the adverts on preloved to get an idea?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Just an option at the min but for those who do it, is it a good idea or a bad head? I work ridiculous hours, Sundays only off (unless I beg for a 2nd day), up before the birds and home waaaayy after dark! I have someone ride her on a Saturday but if it's raining, cold, windy, cloudy, a bit late in the day or she has something else to do she won't bother!
How easy would it be or rather how interested would somebody be do you all think to put my girl on loan/shared?She would absolutly have to stay where she is all I want is someone to muck out, groom and exercise. I wouldn't expect any financial commitment just a little help so it's 1 less for my mum to do and I don't feel she's being neglected. Would that appeal do you think?

I shared my last horse with two girls with great success. The latter was superb with him, loved him as much as me, was always reliable and lavished him with so much attention he was really spoilt. For me it worked out really well.

I wont have anyone under 25, sorry kids but I have found older sharers more reliable and more committed. I get people to ride for me first and then the main thing is, I leave them to it! I have great friends at the yard who would tell me if something was wrong, so I let them *feel* as if its their horse on those days and they have, touch wood, always treated them like it too :)

pugsandponies

Visit site

Whereabouts are you based? I'm in Essex looking for a share

ShadowFlame

Visit site
I think if you end up with the right combination, it's ideal. However, getting together an owner, a horse, a yard, a location and a sharer that all gel well is difficult at the best of times. I've never shared out my own horse, but I have shared others and they didn't work too well or last very long. You also need to consider how attached you are to your horse, I know that I'm too protective over my boy to even think about having a sharer!

Bernster

Visit site
Loaning generally involves giving up more in terms of control/care/riding of your horse but may work out if you need a proper split arrangement.

But I agree that it sounds more like you'd want a share for your horse, staying at current yard. I've had a number over the years to exercise him during the week. Generally had a very good experience. I'd recommend going for over 18s and previous share/loan or horse care experience.

Be clear about your 'must haves' but prepared to compromise on other things. I'd also use a share agreement so you manage expectations etc up front. And maybe ask for references up front, or a short trial period.

BHS website has some loan agreement precedents you could amend.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I started sharing 10 years ago (I'm 22 now) - still at the same yard now with the same owner (2nd horse though!) and I more or less loan and don't give financial contribution anymore.
I still try and pay for food/shoes/dentist etc when I can but it involves getting there before G does! ;) (and I get shouted at :p)
I share the most wonderful mare, she has been very poorly for the last 14 months (Cushings) and we have just got back on her last week.
G says she is as much my pony as she is hers now and I love her to pieces, I can't imagine being without her now. I help G out by doing all her jobs (sometimes the other mare too) when I am home from uni and giving her lifts to work/home etc. I also have the opportunity to ride her other mare regularly too which I am eternally grateful for - I would absolutely no way be able to afford regular riding lessons now.
I am very lucky in that I really get on with G and that she trusts me with her horses and we have never had a written agreement but luckily haven't needed it - its a great idea to get one if you get a sharer. There's plenty of people seeking shares out there its just finding the right person. I'd deff agree on a trial period and staying with them until you think they are capable.
Remember that you and your horse have to get on with them and you don't have to leave them to it until you are quite ready to :)
K x

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I assume OP that by "share" you mean someone to come to your yard and ride/care for the horse; as opposed to a "loan" where you let someone else come and take the horse away to be cared for at a yard of their choice??

Sorry to be numpty!

Personally I'd go for the "share" rather than "loan" option. There is a whole lot of stuff on here about the horrors of loaning!!!

I let my boy go out on loan during the autumn and signed and settled on a twelve months "lease" thinnking all was well - and my experience wasn't anything like as horrendous as some people's has been, BUT basically to cut a long story short: the person that had my horse realised five weeks into the loan that she couldn't afford to keep him at the yard he was at!!!

It wasn't as disastrous as it could have been simply because I've got my own place and so it was easy to bring him back here (but we did have to somehow find a "stable" for him, i.e cobbled up a sort-of pen within a barn!!! - LOL).

I've got a lovely friend who comes to ride him and she loves him to bits; but I wouldn't exactly describe her as a "sharer" really.

I think what you'd need to be careful of in a "sharer" arrangement is that the sharer is proficient enough not to allow your horse to get into bad habits coz its ever so easy to have that happen. Also if you advertise (for either a sharer or a loaner) you'll get every blimmin beginner, novice & downright fruitloop within a 100 mile radius! Believe me, you will! So be prepared and organised and have some questions written down which you can ask people, i.e. their riding/stable experience etc etc and the sort of horse they've been riding etc.

Good luck anyway.