Horse shopping - assistance needed

Visit site
Hi all,

A few queries and opinions wanted please!

1) Do you think the price of horses will drop drastically in winter? I appreciate nobody has a crystal ball but would be really grateful for opinions.

2) What is reasonable (in the current market) to pay for a 16hh -17hh, 6-11 year old, all round/non quirky type with nice paces? (Very happy with any breed/ no recorded breeding). Again, I know it’s how long is a piece of string, but even a range would be appreciated.

3) What do people generally mean when they say no novices? What is a ‘novice’?

Background - I owned my own mare for many years, who was highly opinionated - bucking, rearing etc, and I returned to riding after a 4+ year break in May sharing a lovely horse 2-3 days a week. I’m confident and can ride a decent novice BD test but very much consider myself amateur!

Thank you!

ponynutz

Visit site
Hola,

1) Not drastically but they will a little bit. The problem is that most people will be waiting out for winter due to the high prices and so the demand will still be there come winter.

2) I'd say you're looking between 7k (if you're lucky) to 15k for what you're looking for. I've seen some real gems though for the lower end of that, it's just a case of looking. Quite often the older or younger they are the cheaper they are so might be worth thinking about buying a 'do-er upper' if you will or an OTTB (which often sell from 4k upwards).

3) I'd say a non-novice is someone who has owned or loaned a horse before, knows about general horse care and training, is balanced in the saddle, and can ride in all three paces, jump, and create an outline. I wouldn't say amateur is the same as novice - I think you'll be fine :) I'd be wary though as well and try anything more than once with that in the advert as this can sometimes be translated to 'has quirks'.

Good luck! Few people on here who love to go for a shop so might very well get a few suggestions from those on the market atm.

mariew

Visit site
1. I suspect not for quality
2. It would be interesting to see. I reckon for a half decent schooled horse to your requirements, starting price 10k? Maybe more
3. I will leave this to sellers as could mean anything. Has quirks, is forward going/ sharp or needs bringing on correctly maybe?

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Prices were not lower last year over winter, there were far more people waiting for winter prices which never happened...the demand far outweighed supply last winter! It might be different with the cost of living issues but the majority of horse people are somewhat insulated from this anyway....

At least 8k plus but more likely double figures I'd say

Visit site
Thank you all for your responses.

I was expecting around the £10,000 mark so I’m not surprised by the ranges you provided.

I’m looking more for a dressage horse than a jumper. I would love something that will do the odd jump or perhaps low level combined training. Just a life partner really!

I am in no rush a love the horse I share - but just find myself frustrated I can’t make decisions in regards to his welfare

ihatework

Visit site

FourWhiteSocks

Visit site
Somebody please tell me I shouldn’t ….

https://www.ehorses.co.uk/pre-geldi...horses-leisurehorses-nettersheim/3282217.html

…but also - how difficult is it to adjust a horse from overseas (NL, DE, SP) to UK life? I know it’s hugely dependent on the environment they’re kept in but I understand horses tend to be stabled a lot more. Happy to be told I’m wrong!

Who has taken the scissors to that beautiful horses mane (and part of his forelock!). You need to buy him just to sort his hair out lol.

I translate no novices as 'I love my horse and don't want total idiots around them'. It wouldn't put me off a viewing unless it was a horse doing competitive work much higher than my ability. Then I translate it as 'This horse will probably kill you'.

From cheeky peeks at adverts from time to time, there still seem to be some gems among the sad, or overpriced sorts. I agree with the forum members who have said that horses are probably priced more realistically nowadays, and that's a plus for horse welfare on the whole.

Good luck with your horse search, what a lovely position to be in. I hope you enjoy the hunt and find your dream horse. Please update with photos so us non-owners can all live vicariously through you.

Leandy

Visit site
Somebody please tell me I shouldn’t ….

https://www.ehorses.co.uk/pre-geldi...horses-leisurehorses-nettersheim/3282217.html

…but also - how difficult is it to adjust a horse from overseas (NL, DE, SP) to UK life? I know it’s hugely dependent on the environment they’re kept in but I understand horses tend to be stabled a lot more. Happy to be told I’m wrong!

Very suspicious about that advert. Noone should be paying to try, and office hours only???

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my only bit of advice is do not overhorse yourself.... there are many threads on here where people have hit problems and the horse they could manage at his home yard turns into something much more forward going and quirky. its difficult to find what you are looking for height wise, do you need a horse that big? if you could go for 14.2 ish ou may have more luck, also cheaper to feed and easier to put rugs on, and not so far to fall:D:D

Visit site
my only bit of advice is do not overhorse yourself.... there are many threads on here where people have hit problems and the horse they could manage at his home yard turns into something much more forward going and quirky. its difficult to find what you are looking for height wise, do you need a horse that big? if you could go for 14.2 ish ou may have more luck, also cheaper to feed and easier to put rugs on, and not so far to fall:D:D

I would prefer something bigger, my shared horse is 18hh and I quite like his size.

I’m probably too heavy for something sporty under 15hh. (11.5st and 5 foot 6)

Very good advice and taken on board thank you!

Visit site
Who has taken the scissors to that beautiful horses mane (and part of his forelock!). You need to buy him just to sort his hair out lol.

I translate no novices as 'I love my horse and don't want total idiots around them'. It wouldn't put me off a viewing unless it was a horse doing competitive work much higher than my ability. Then I translate it as 'This horse will probably kill you'.

From cheeky peeks at adverts from time to time, there still seem to be some gems among the sad, or overpriced sorts. I agree with the forum members who have said that horses are probably priced more realistically nowadays, and that's a plus for horse welfare on the whole.

Good luck with your horse search, what a lovely position to be in. I hope you enjoy the hunt and find your dream horse. Please update with photos so us non-owners can all live vicariously through you.

I know! I was wanting to let that mane and forelock grow ??

This is really helpful - thank you. Totally agree about the welfare point, and appreciate I am very lucky to be able to consider this. Will absolutely share updates but I am a huge perfectionist/worrier so please don’t be surprised if I am in the same position in a year ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its too hot to do any gardening and i am bored so had a look on horsequest as i remembered this thread. if you look on family friends over 16hh there are a few that look like they would be suitable and are under £10,000. i particularly liked ref 284333 who is in shropshire...he may not be your taste but he sounds lovely and is 16.2 and 6 years old, £6,000, no video

depends where in the country you are but there were 3 from the same place in south east that could be worth a trip if you liked the look of them ref.282230, 282603,278469. at least that gives you a few to look at ...

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
100% too much horse to take a gamble on for an amateur coming back from a break!

I love that they charge you for trialling the horse though!! I am going to advertise one of mine for £5k and then charge £50 to trial! Don’t need to sell it then but will raise some funds!

Visit site
its too hot to do any gardening and i am bored so had a look on horsequest as i remembered this thread. if you look on family friends over 16hh there are a few that look like they would be suitable and are under £10,000. i particularly liked ref 284333 who is in shropshire...he may not be your taste but he sounds lovely and is 16.2 and 6 years old, £6,000, no video

depends where in the country you are but there were 3 from the same place in south east that could be worth a trip if you liked the look of them ref.282230, 282603,. 278469at least that gives you a few to look at ...

Thank you! That is so kind of you.

How funny, I saw Plonker yesterday and really did love the look of him and thought I should enquire! Sounds very sweet.

Chester - cute and would I think would be a good fit but too choppy in paces for dressage / not my personal preference

Striker - love him!!!! (always love a grey) but wonder what it’s like to manage a horse with string holt? Not ever something I’ve had to consider - what do you think?

Rosie - very lovely! My mare was called Rosie when I bought her, so not sure if it’s a good or bad sign ? seems sweet though!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
If you want to do dressage stringhalt would not be good , you would quite likely be marked down for being unlevel, but if you want a happy hacker it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I wouldn’t buy one with stringhalt even just for hacking

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Pretty horse but you can’t see what her conformation is like..seems a bit on the low price side if she is what they say, for a 16.2 I would have thought more like £8,500 or upwards in this market..odd thing to say that she gets bored if in stable 24/7, how does she show she is bored, chewing the wood, wind sucking ??

Fabel

Visit site
No I wouldn’t think so
£8000 - £12000 with maybe a little either side
I don’t think I would class you as a novice, In my mind it’s usually someone who when asked about their riding the will say they can walk, trot, canter and gallop and generally use terms they think sound impressive but tend to use them in the wrong context.

Visit site
Pretty horse but you can’t see what her conformation is like..seems a bit on the low price side if she is what they say, for a 16.2 I would have thought more like £8,500 or upwards in this market..odd thing to say that she gets bored if in stable 24/7, how does she show she is bored, chewing the wood, wind sucking ??

Definitely agreed. I was surprised for the price - I’m curious too how this “boredom” is shown. I’m thinking reading between the lines she has been pretty much out of work this year