Horse shopping at Goresbridge.....Success! (I hope)

Dusty85

Visit site
I went to the Goresbridge performance horse sales for the 4yo day yesterday and Ive bought a gorgeous 4yo Dark Bay Loughehoe Guy gelding. He's a bit of a giant at 16.3h, which is fine but secretly hoping he doesn't grow anymore!

Well...what can I say about Goresbridge? what an experience!!
There was about 80 lots of offer throughout the day, mostly 4yos, but some 3yos at the end of the day. Its a long old day too! They were showing no signs of stopping at 4pm and with lots more lots to go. Everyone was very friendly though, I didn't really see any evidence of foul play either. The auctioneers did do their best to increase bidding if a lot was on the borderline of its reserve by asking if they would pay a bit more etc but again nothing bad.

At first I wasn't sure whether to be annoyed as Id earmarked quite a few lots (about 10-14) and some didn't even turn up so I'm glad I had such a selection noted. I was also not sure whether to be happy or annoyed as all the lots I liked were clearly good ones as they were going for a lot of money! The best one went for 11k euros, (OBOS Q) with another (kings master) going for 10k. I had set myself a bit of a limit as after the hammer price you have to pay fees on top, and I wanted the horse re-vetted and also shipping, so a few things to bear in mind.

Anyway- After a few failed bidding attempts I noticed a stunning big dark bay gelding who was stood quietly whilst its rider chatted to someone, I noted its number as one id circled but thought (hoped) by that point I would of had one already bought. So I watched him jump, seems sensible, not overly flashy but moved well and plenty of scope to clear the 1m at least spread they were jumping. It was getting quite late in the day and I was getting conscious of the time to head back so I thought I would make him my last lot then go. At this point I had resigned myself to the fact that he would go for a lot more as he seemed to have a fair bit of interest around the ring when jumping.
Anyway I bid and kept going, I reached my limit and went over a little as I liked him so much, my heart was going like the clappers!!! Anyway he was mine as the hammer came down!!! Having palpitations by this point wondering if I had actually just gone and bought him!

Mad rush to get him vetted (Original cert was clean) and the vet after said Im struggling to find anything to pick him up on, so I went and paid (ouch!) then I had to leg it back to the car to head back to catch my flight, heart still racing!

I had organised with George Mullins transport a few days before hand if I bought something they were to pick it up and stable it prior to shipping and so they went over and picked him up a few hours after the sale.

They have rung me this evening to say that he is leaving Ireland Sunday evening, arriving 5am Monday morning!

Im so pleased. He's obviously green but has all the basics and is jumping under saddle. He looks very balanced and straight forward. I was chatting to the owners during the vetting and they have shown him in hand all summer so he's been out and seen a fair bit.

So, some pics. The first one is from him in the summer, hence why he looks quite polished! The other one is during the vetting and I was in a rush so hence its a bit rubbish. I biased but isn't he gorgeous!?

New%20Horse1_zpslsjlbccr.jpg

New%20horse%202_zpsttkzyx5v.jpg

I know its a bit of a gamble buying a horse this way, so I will see exactly what I have bought when I get him home. Both vettings couldn't find anything and he has (in my view) very good conformation and a seemingly good temperament so I hope that those things are true.

My plan is to sort out a few house keeping things- Teeth, feet vaccinations etc then just hack for a bit and get to know him. Id like to get him out to some baby SJ/Dr/XC schooling after a bit of flatwork schooling. Im excited though!!!

Ps. If anyone is thinking of going to Goresbridge- do- its a great experience. there is lots of choice and you can pick something up with average breeding that isn't too flashy but will do the job quite nicely for €2000 or less. Or there are obviously a few special things!!

Last edited:

Dusty85

Visit site
Interestingly the garrison royal gelding I almost bought with the arthritis changes on his X-rays was also at the sale!

QueenDee_

Visit site
If it is any reassurance, I have a 3yo Loughehoe Guy filly that I bought unseen from Ireland (the lovely Cortez went to view her for me, for which I am forever grateful) and she is the sweetest horse I have ever met. She is always the first to come trotting over in the field when she sees me and never seems to get bored of a fuss- in fact I always feel quite mean when I have to be the one to break it off! I hope to bring her on as an eventer/hunter/all rounder type, so please do keep us updated with your new one (who by the way looks gorgeous) as its always lovely to hear how those related to your own get on.

What is he out of?

Dusty85

Visit site
Thank you!

He's out of a Colin Diamond mare (king of Diamonds). He has a full brother jumping 2* over here, and one in the US.

Ive heard they all have good temperaments so I'm really hoping this guy has too. He was very kind when I spent a bit of time with him.

Im very excited!

QueenDee_

Visit site
Thank you!

He's out of a Colin Diamond mare (king of Diamonds). He has a full brother jumping 2* over here, and one in the US.

Ive heard they all have good temperaments so I'm really hoping this guy has too. He was very kind when I spent a bit of time with him.

Im very excited!

Mine is also from a mare with King of Diamond lines, best of luck with him, we'll be expecting an arrival report!

Echo24

Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience, how exciting and what a gorgeous boy! Would love to go to Goresbridge one day, we look forward to your arrival report! :)

only_me

Visit site
He is very nice, congrats :) lovely type!
Good time to buy in euro, as it's weak atm so sounds like a nice little buy :D

If it makes you feel any better, billy was 17h as a 4 year old as is still 17h as a 9 year old :p he just filled into his frame but never grew an inch, so your nice boy may not grow any taller ;)
Looks a smashing event type! :D any vids?

Dusty85

Visit site
Thank you all :) I spent more than I had budgeted to at the sale, but he was still fairly reasonable for what he (hopefully) is.

Im really pleased i managed to find one out a TB stallion, I said all along I wanted some TB blood in the mix, but just not a full TB. I managed to have a good chat with the man who was riding him and had him in for schooling for the past months or two who said he was a very straightforward horse and easy in every way. (although I'm sure he wouldn't tell me if he was a git!) The owners were keen on swapping details too so they could keep in touch with what he was up to.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
He looks lovely, just my type, bet you'll have loads of fun with him. Thanks for sharing your experience, I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to do it but would love to go to Goresbridge and buy something!

ollierdog

Visit site
He looks a smart well put together chap!! Who did you buy from(pm me if you prefer) we must have just crossed tracks, we were there Tuesday and Wednesday and bought 5, horses were fetching good money and there were certainly a lot going through- we didn't finish until 9 Tuesday evening! Both vets who were there seemed very good old school vets....good luck with him!

Dusty85

Visit site
Ive just read the write up in the irish field and they said it was a 10 year high. Id done a bit of research into how much horses were going for and so was surprised at exactly how much some of the four year olds were achieving. The sale topper of the 4yos was an OBOS quality mare who went for 11k euros.

JenBaggs- Im still wondering if Ive been reckless- after all it begs the question why was he being sold at auction- and I guess time will tell. Im not one to X-ray as routine; and Ive tried to limit the potential for it to go wrong by getting the extra vetting- but as we all know with horses, things can go wrong at any time. I did find an old HHO ad for him as a three year old- they were asking quite a lot for him so i guess they just couldn't sell him.

Who knows- but for now- Im happy.

Nicnac

Visit site
He is lovely! Going in October for a friend's birthday celebrations and will be firmly sitting on my hands (I think). Hope you have lots of fun with him and report back

only_me

Visit site
Ive just read the write up in the irish field and they said it was a 10 year high. Id done a bit of research into how much horses were going for and so was surprised at exactly how much some of the four year olds were achieving. The sale topper of the 4yos was an OBOS quality mare who went for 11k euros.

JenBaggs- Im still wondering if Ive been reckless- after all it begs the question why was he being sold at auction- and I guess time will tell. Im not one to X-ray as routine; and Ive tried to limit the potential for it to go wrong by getting the extra vetting- but as we all know with horses, things can go wrong at any time. I did find an old HHO ad for him as a three year old- they were asking quite a lot for him so i guess they just couldn't sell him.

Sending a horse to auction is pretty standard in Ireland, especially 3 & 4 year olds, so I wouldn't be concerned about him being sold that way :)
Young horses generally are sold via auction or straight from breeder (mine was direct from breeder) so pretty standard, plus advantage of an auction is that you get quite a lot of oversea buyers coming as it is handy for them to see variety of horses in one place.
Don't worry about having bought him, if you had seen on him at a private yard would you have considered him then? Enjoy him, he looks lovely! :)

googol

Visit site
How exciting I can't wait to follow ur journey together. I hope he is all u dreamed of and more. He's gorgeous lovely type. My boys passport has an auction sticker on it so all the best ones must go through auction 😉

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site

Oh I didn't meant you were being reckless at all, I'm in awe that you did it! I reckon he's going to be a STAR!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Fantastic news. I hope that he's everything that you want. :D

PS - he isn't bay, he's Seal Brown and a very attractive example too. :)

Dusty85

Visit site
JB- don't worry I didn't think that- maybe there's a small part of my subconscious that does! That said- so far I'm more than happy with him and can't wait to get to know him, and get on him properly!

Faracat- thank you- learning all the time!

Max123

Visit site
I have a Colin Diamond mare who is now 22 years old. Fabulous temperament and so much ability. Best of luck. He is a handsome fellow.

kassieg

Visit site
I like him a lot !! Exactly the type i would like for my next 1. Definitely planning to go to goresbridge so nice to hear a report from a first timer !! :)