Horse shopping - could use some help/opinions

blood_magik

Visit site
I’ve just started looking for a new jumping horse and I’m second-guessing myself at every turn so could use some help.

My ideal horse would be:
Gelding
17-17.2hh (prefer bigger horses)
Solid colour
Honest and brave at the fence
Forward going
8-10 years
Scope to take me round a 1.30m track so capable of up to 1.45m

Basically looking for a younger schoolmaster-type.

So far I’ve viewed:

Horse one - 7yo chestnut gelding:
Pros
🔹 trainer knows the horse and owner well
🔹 based locally so own vet could do the vetting
🔹 lovely and forwards once I found the right buttons
🔹 felt very safe on him
🔹 helped me out when I made a mistake coming down a distance
🔹 easy to handle.
🔹 good to load/clip/shoe
🔹 not been over-jumped
🔹 lovely scopey jump
🔹priced at what I’d like to spend
🔹 beautifully schooled

Cons
🔹 younger and smaller (16.2/16.3) than I wanted
🔹 hasn’t got a great competition record for the asking price
🔹 price not negotiable
🔹 massive splint on right fore
🔹 looked a little off behind at times
🔹 a little look-y - did spook a little while I was trying him
🔹 Shot off when we had a pole down - took a few circles to get him to settle
🔹 no returns policy if it doesn’t work out

Horse two - 10yo bay gelding:
Pros
🔹 established at 1.30/1.40m
🔹 great competition record from newcomers upwards
🔹 very safe - not at all spooky
🔹 very forwards from the get go but kept it’s rhythm before/after the fence
🔹 17.1hh and chunky built - took up my leg nicely
🔹 beautifully schooled
🔹 easy to do in all ways - stood beautifully while waiting for me to set up and get on
🔹price negotiable
🔹 have bought a nice horse from this dealer before and they will buy him back if needed no questions asked
🔹 feel happy that I would be able to relax once I get to know him a little better

Cons
🔹 at the very top end of my budget
🔹 very expressive changes. Felt like I got bounced about a little bit (very similar to my big horse)
🔹 did test me a little bit while I was finding the right buttons but nothing bad - just fell out through one shoulder a little until I said no and corrected.
🔹 didn’t feel quite as comfortable riding him from the get go but he’s a different level/model of horse.

I’m so confused 🙈
This is why I normally say to my previous trainer to find me something and then buy it unseen - I have no choice but to get on with it once the horse comes home 🤷‍♀️

That said, I’m going to try to view horse number 2 again. 🤔

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Quadro

Visit site
Has your trainer seen both horses? They might help as to what suits you best. Is the 2nd dealer someone who would exchange should the horse not be for you?

blood_magik

Visit site
Trainers have seen videos of me riding both horses. Hoping one of them can come with me for the second viewing of horse two.

Dealer one I’ve not heard great things about them exchanging if not suitable whereas dealer two will happily take a horse back if it doesn’t work out.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Horse 2, you have the fall back of being able to return to dealer if you don't get on. And your cons are not that big or off putting for Horse 2. Not Horse 1. For me there's a few red flags over soundness there... I'm not a person who would ever be looking for a horse at that level though so my opinion might be moot. But just reacting to what you've written that's what I think. 🙂

BunnyDog

Visit site
Ok few questions

1) are there only 2 horses worth trying in your area or your budget?

2) could you not find something with Foxhunters experience and improve it up the ranks?

3) Have you looked further away? (Belgium, Czech, etc)

4) What's the goal that this purchase will be helping you towards?

Emily

blood_magik

Visit site
Ok few questions

1) are there only 2 horses worth trying in your area or your budget?

2) could you not find something with Foxhunters experience and improve it up the ranks?

3) Have you looked further away? (Belgium, Czech, etc)

4) What's the goal that this purchase will be helping you towards?

Emily

1) looks like it - have asked a few people to ask around and they haven’t found anything else

2) I already have that and don’t really want another one. Plus I’m not the most confident jumping bigger and my current main horse is lacking a little bit of confidence round the bigger tracks - when we moved up to 1.10/1.15 we had stop after stop after stop and I can’t afford to hurt myself as I have the yard to run

3) looked in Holland and Ireland but don’t have anyone to go over with me and try the horse

4) I want something that will help me give my other horses the confidence they need to move up from newcomers/1.15m to fix and 1.25/1.30m

I spoke to dealer 2 and I’m going to try horse 2 again this weekend. Hoping my trainer can come but if not, will get loads of videos

sportsmansB

Visit site
I bought my version of 'horse 2' after losing my horse of a life time last year. To be honest I didn't get the most amazing feeling when I tried him, but I knew that on paper he was the one for me so I gave it a go. I still probably haven't completely bonded with him but I am enjoying riding him, it is all pretty easy, and I am hoping that that feeling of being 'at home' in the saddle on him will come. I know I am safe and he is well capable of doing anything I need him to. Thats not to be sniffed at!

BunnyDog

Visit site
All of what you're saying is where I was when I bought Cudo. Though my goal was 1.25. Now the goal is a bit higher. He instills some amazing confidence. For sure.

I have some Belgian and Irish contacts that I would trust and recommend highly if you'd like. Just let me know.

Em

blood_magik

Visit site
Thanks. One of my trainers has contacts in Holland so I may just have to wait until he has time to help me look.

Spoke to dealer 2 and I’m heading back tomorrow afternoon. Just hope I can find my way back as my dads driven both times we’ve been 🙈

blood_magik

Visit site
Trainer can’t come with me tomorrow so I’m taking a horsey friend with me to keep me on track.

I think I’ve asked everything I need to so it’s just down to whether or not I feel more comfortable on him this time.

Bernster

Visit site
Horse no 2 from what you’ve said but I’m in the camp of keeping looking to really get something that will knock your socks off. Unless it’s no. 2 ofc.

blood_magik

Visit site
Just home from sunny St. Andrews...

Much more comfortable this time 😅
I took my own saddle and asked to ride him in his other bit (nathe Pelham instead of a Waterford universal) and he was a lot softer. We did have a few bouncy changes again but he didn’t yank me forwards quite as much.

Jumped a little bit bigger before doing a little course (good god, he’s got some jump in him 🙈) and I think I’m going to go ahead and get him vetted if the boss agrees 🤞🏻

Will try to post videos once I’ve taken the sound off (I get quite sweary when I’m nervous 😳)

blood_magik

Visit site
I’ve bought from them before as well 🙂 well, dad has... I may have stolen that horse from him 😄

Thanks 🤞🏻

Last edited:

BunnyDog

Visit site
OK so I'm just a tad confused. While the horse seems nice enough I went back and looked at your other videos and I am a bit unsure that this horse, and to be fair the type you described, is what I would want for you if you were my friend. Your record on your chestnut shows that in 3 years you've not gone higher than 1.10 and that level was with mixed success.

As someone who has seen and ridden over some hefty 1.25 courses this year I know that it's important to have a lot of competency that comes from classes at 1.10 and below. Your recent videos on You Tube show that that competency is missing from horses that you already have a relationship with. Now I am by no means suggesting that you won't get to 1.30 but I think asking for a horse that's made to 1.30 is a bit of overkill and honestly spending more money than you need to. By my view what you need is a horse that establishes you at 1.10-1.20. And you need time. I haven't a clue how old you are but I know very well that rushing along in horse sports to the level you WANT to be at is a sure fire way to prolong the agony of actually getting there.

I don't know this horse but if he's solid at 1.30 you're in for quite a bit (I would guess) maybe take a moment and try another type. One that's maybe a touch older and has limits at 1.30 but is a rock star at 1.15 and can handle 1.20 as well. I mean a year ago I couldn't imagine being where I am now and it's solely because I bought the right horse to teach me how to go from solid to really solid.

I hope you know I am saying this all with kind thoughts in my heart. I just know how being in the lurch with existing horses and looking for a new horse to fix things can go. It's a tough game and it's why it's important to get the right horse.

All my best,

Emily

blood_magik

Visit site
No, I get it. Hopefully this explains my feelings:

My confidence has been at rock bottom for years - I get really nervous jumping and tend to freeze, which results in me missing or firing at the fences and then getting run away with in the big chestnut’s case.

I bought a lovely big schoolmaster back in 2016 but my dad ended up taking over the ride on him (the idea being that he’s late 60s and hasn’t got much time left to get out competing) and I bought the youngster who died the other week to replace him. If you watched the videos of her the last time I jumped her I think you would have seen that connection you’re looking for.

I finally saw someone about sorting out my confidence this year and I’d like to think that I’ve made an improvement - yes, I had a few outings where I made a mess of things and we were eliminated but we tried. If it goes horribly wrong I tend drop back down to keep our confidence intact and then move back up when ready (or my trainer forces me to).

The last round we jumped (at newcomers) was almost foot perfect and if felt easy, which was down to finally finding the right bit/noseband combo.

The big chestnut is unlikely to take me round a Fox/1.25 now - he’s at the stage where he needs his hocks medicated every 6 months, which means time off. Whereas I’m at the stage where I need to be seeing those bigger fences consistently to keep my eye in.

The little chestnut I stole from dad will most likely be a 1.05/1.10 horse once we sort out his issues and my other chestnut doesn’t jump at all now, which is an absolute shame because he has the scope I’m looking for.

I am more than capable of jumping round a 1.30. I’ve done it before and I have no doubt that I’ll do it again when I find the right horse. I’m just loathe to take Blue back off dad when he’s getting going again.

Plus I’m in my 30s now and if I don’t do it soon then I likely never will.

It just sucks because I was finally getting somewhere with Ellie and now she’s gone, Beau’s off having had his hocks done again and Henry’s lame 😑

I just want my girl back. 😞

Last edited: