Horse shopping decisions - advice please

Art Nouveau

Visit site
I'm looking for a horse to buy as a project and currently have two options, both of which I could view this weekend. I'd love to pick the brains of HHO's collective wisdom :) My aim is to bring a horse back into work and sell at the end of about a year.

Horse A
11 years old, has evented and hunted but spent the last two years not doing much.
Pros: Sounds like a horse I would love to work with, intelligent and bold. Well established in jumping and fairly good schooling so just needs fittening up and refreshing, with a bit more flatwork.
Cons: Recently diagnosed with thin soles, farrier said this is due to the horse being out in wet weather 24/7 over winter with no exercise. Horse currently has pads on. As I'm intending to sell on again I won't have the time to take the horse barefoot.
(Can I ask to speak to the farrier about the feet, and would I need the owner to call first to give permission for the farrier to discuss the horse with me?)

Horse B
9 years old, did a little bit as a youngster then has been a broodmare for a couple of years.
Pros: no known foot or health issues :) Seems to be picking up schooling quite quickly
Cons: hasn't done much before so would need teaching rather than refreshing.

Heart says horse A, head says I don't know enough about working with/improving thin soles to risk it. I've had a quick look on here but everyone seems to be saying to go barefoot. If this were a horse I was going to keep then I would, but I'm likely to be selling on so don't really want to spend most of that time rehabbing to go barefoot.

Thoughts? Should I not touch thin soles with a barge pole?
Horse A is cheaper but may cost more if there are foot problems,

Casey76

Visit site
Thin soles can be rehabbed with the appropriate stimulation.

You could switch the shoes and pads for boots and pads at the beginning (A pair of boots can be budgeted for 2 shoeings, depending on how much your normal farrier charges - especially with extras like pads, so doesn't need to be seen as an expensive option). Do you have access to a sand school? (opposed to rubber or wood chip etc) - sand is a great sole stimulus. Also foot conforming bedding like shavings/ pellets rather than straw (I've noticed a big difference in my mares feet - barefoot all her life - after switching to shavings) One thing is for sure. With pads in, there is no sole stimulus at all, and they will never improve with pads on (if traditional leather pads with no packing).

I couldn't advise on either or to buy, I'm useless at making the decision to sell on ;)

be positive

Visit site
I read horse A evented and hunted but has spent the last 2 years doing very little with possible soundness issues relating to it's feet over that time, he is now in pads in order to sell, the farrier thinks it may be due to having thin soles but the vet has not been involved, or if he has they are not telling you, with making the diagnosis. At 11 to buy and sell on it is high risk, you will not honestly be able to insure the feet so it could be an expensive venture if he does not come sound once the pads come off. I would not consider buying the horse with pads on however cheap he is. If you were buying to keep I may have a slightly different view but the above still applies, I would want it vetted without pads or at least looked at properly not take the word of the sellers farrier.

ozpoz

Visit site
Both could have issues you don't know about. Are you sure a horse which has had time off for whatever reason, is the best idea when you are hoping to sell on?

Last edited:

Art Nouveau

Visit site
Thanks be positive for mentioning the insurance, I hadn't thought of that, and it definitely makes a difference. I think I will call horse A owner and say no, and then see where I'm at with horse B. There may be a thread about a new horse soon :)
Ozpoz, there's more to both stories so I'm happy with the risk I'm taking, but thanks for making a good point

I knew it would help me make up my mind to ask on here, thanks everyone

Kati*89

Visit site
Does it have to be either of those?
I guess you could try horse B and see what kind of attitude she has but selling on after only having done a year of work aged 9yrs and little history of much else might go against her?!
It certainly would if I was looking to buy.

kassieg

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't go with either of those if I was you.

What budget do you have?

If you want a project to sell on I would go for something a bit younger with no problems

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I don't have any experience of buying to sell on, but I would also go for horse B of the two.

As a teenager the yard I worked on bought a 9 year old TB ex-broodmare with limited riding experience (i.e. had been sat on but that was about it) off the YO's friend. When they told me I was dreading riding her TBH as not usually a fan of green TB's. She was an absolute star and I completely fell in love with her. About 9 months later she was sold (I assume for a good profit) to a client as a mother and daughter share.