Horse shopping is not as much fun as I thought

Trinket12

Visit site
When I wasn't in a position to buy, there constantly seemed to be postings of ponies and 15.2 quarter horses in my price range and location. Now I can buy (and afford board) it's all fancy dancy 16.2/17 hh warmblood or OTTB at a gazillion dollars.

There's been a couple my coach went to look at, but when she saw them they were a no. A lot of sales happen word of mouth in this area or on FB posts, I will see a post and get excited because the description matches what I want, then I see that the location is the other end of the Province or in the US :(. Though I am getting better on reading between the lines of an ad!

Patience is not one of my virtues, and now spring seems to be here I want to be riding after work. If I'm honest, the need is also heightened by the fact that I had my cat (avatar picture) put to sleep a few weeks ago, she was my BFF of 14 years and I really miss her furry presence and am still grieving.

I know I am being a moaning minnie, and it's all a little #firstworldproblems but I needed to have a pout ;)

Bernster

Visit site
I second getting another cat. Won’t stop you missing your other one ofc but something to help make you happy hopefully. Yes I think window shopping for them when you don’t mean to buy is more fun. Actually buying and trying - much less fun than you think it will be!

oldie48

Visit site
I hate buying horses so usually end up buying the first one I try (yes really) but I do try to weed them out before going to actually see them. The last time I got a kitten, we called her Molly, had to take her to the vets a couple of days later as she was unwell and renamed him Monty on the way home. Fortunately never made that mistake with a horse!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Horse shopping is never fun: you can't find what you want, then you see something that might work but you've got to deal with the seller - work out if they're on the level, organise a convenient time to see it (which can in itself be hard, if the seller's busy, you work, and you want to take a friend / professional opinion) all the time worrying it might sell before you can see it.

Then you see it and you have to work out if it's right for you, and if it's sound and sane and the seller hasn't drugged it up or ridden it into the ground.

Then you have to wait for the vet, which is stressful, or decide you're going to wing it, which is doubly stressful!

Then you decide to buy it, but that's stressful because you still don't know if it was the right horse for you - it *could* turn into a nutter or a lame donkey on the trailer ride home... "What if it's too much horse for me, what if the horse won't do the job I want it for?! What if it's actually two shetland ponies wearing a pantomime horse costume?!"

By this point you're so stressed out by the whole affair, you're just as likely to tip the poor, unsettled animal into nutter territory yourself!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I loathe pony shopping. 90% are mis-described, many sellers are horrible and the whole business is unbelievably time consuming and stressful! Pony window shopping is much more fun and I do that all the time anyway. But as you say when you really want one, it's a different ballgame.

Jenny and Dolly were word of mouth (Jenny) and trusted seller (Dolly - sales livery/horse agent) and I won't go any other route now. Where are you? The people who sold us Dolly have a lovely looking 14.2 in on sales livery who looks perfect for Izzy but has come up about 6 months too soon for us as we will hang on to Jenny for absolutely as long as possible.

atropa

Visit site
This I why I don't specifically horse shop. I just occasionally see an ad I like, go and try them on a whim and end up buying them. It’s become quite an expensive habit :p

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh I love horse shopping, but the trick is never to be in a rush. Kittens on the other hand, need to be pursued immediately...

Reactions: JJS

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Horse shopping makes me sad because I remember the ones I didn't buy. The latest horse purchase was the easiest yet. At 2pm, mentioned to friend I was thinking of buying a new horse and she just happened to know of a great horse potentially for sale. Quick text message enquiry and horse was delivered for a two week trial the next day. I was really lucky there, he's superb.

pixie27

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat :(

I also feel your pain with horse shopping. My best horse was easy to find - knew a trusted dealer, popped to see him and he was vetted and mine within a week. Have been looking since December and nothing so far! Except for the two weeks when I couldn’t buy, where there were about four horses that looked suitable 🙄 doesn’t help as I don’t have anyone to run adverts past/come and view with me.

Getting a kitten sounds much more appealing! And remember to post lots of pictures when you do find a new furry friend.

Would it help to put what you’re looking for on here? People might know of something (if you’re allowed to post that sort of info anyway.. I can’t remember what’s in the rules.)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am not a fan of horse shopping either .
It’s hard work you need discipline and organisation ( neither my best traits ) and you need to be quick when you see something nice .