Horse Shopping List

Helga1980

Visit site
I'm working out whether I can afford my own horse, I've got all the typical on-going costs for the area/livery yard and have worked out roughly what the type of horse I'd like is likely to cost.

I'm also trying to work out what I'd need to buy in terms of kit.

I have I forgotten any 'categories' below:

* Tack and accessories (for general riding, competing & lunging)
* Rugs
* Grooming / Clipping Gear
* First Aid
* Traveling Gear
* Boots and Bandages
* Mucking out tools
* Feeding / Watering etc. (bins, buckets, nets etc.)

I'm sure there are 101 other things that I've forgotten!

_April_

Visit site
Looking at your list I can't think of much off of the top of my head...

Maybe insurance if you haven't counted that already, oh and fees for vetting the horse!

_jetset_

Visit site
I was going to say the vetting, but I think someone has mentioned that!

Worming (approx 4x a year), injections if not up to date, passport if doesn't come with one, dental technician to check teeth if not done before you buy, saddle fitter costs if it doesn't come with tack...

These are all just worse case scenarios.

sea_view

Visit site
The main expense is the general up keep, a 5* vetting will be £200 and obviously tack etc are your biggest initial outlay but day to day feed, hay, bedding, livery, shoes and things like that are more what you need to work out if you can afford on a weekly/monthly basis. I'd always advise to have a kitty at one side for any major vet bills/ regular vaccinations.

Good luck!

kerrylou123

Visit site
most livery yards will have the majority of things you have listed, such as clipping stuff, mucking out tools, so they arent essential, and most certianly have a first aid kit, although its always usefull to have your own bits and bobs!

Frazer

Visit site
Echo kerrylou123. my livery yard has most lungening equiment i use. Various whips etc, worming included, first aid. Other than that, vet/insurance and transport to your yard for your horse