Horse shopping or any shopping come to that

JoannaC

Visit site
So having read thread after thread about the nightmare of buying a new horse was a little daunted at the prospect of purchasing a new steed. I hate shopping, any form of shopping, when I bought my wedding dress (not a conventional wedding dress as refuse to spend that sort of money on something you can only wear once) I was in and out of John Lewis in less than an hour fully kitted out in my perfect outfit which I pulled out the wardrobe again this week to wear to Ascot.

Anyway had a few drinks and put wanted ad on Facebook on a group for like minded Arab horse lovers. Had a response instantly with everything I had decided I didn't want, e.g. only backed last Summer, another grey, I already have two greys so definitely didn't want another. However I fell instantly for the cute little face and over the next couple of weeks saw various videos and pictures etc. Downside horse was in Cornwall so good 5-6 hour drive but hey ho, booked a cottage for a couple of nights travelled in horsebox and after riding her on a fab hack (so jealous of the riding down there) she came home with me the next day. Thought i'd let her have one day off to recover from journey then lesson the following day and been pootling about ever since, feels like she's been mine forever. Settled in beautifully with the other horses and is just a perfect little poppet.

So that was easy don't know why I was worried.

Just thought people might like to know it isn't always a nightmare buying a new horse :p

Georgiana.jpgGeorgiana.jpg

timbobs

Visit site
She looks gorgeous and you look so happy with her in the photo. That's what it's all about :)

Sometimes the best ones are the ones that are everything you didn't want on paper!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
She's lovely. It's great when you find the right one and it feels as though you've known them forever. My last purchase was the easiest yet. A casual conversation with a friend, resulted in a telephone call and a horse arriving for 2 weeks trial the next day. He was unbelievably perfect.
Hope you both enjoy a long and happy partnership.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You look like a perfect fit together.

I must admit I often wonder what all the angst is about when horse-shopping. I know exactly what I want, rule out anything that doesn't fit my criteria at the advert stage and these days refuse to travel further than 50 mls/an hour to view. The last 5 horses I've bought with my sister (we always co-own) I think we've looked at 8 horses and we did travel a bit further for one of them - but she was sister's choice, for her to ride.

dixie

Visit site
She’s looks very lovey and hope you have loads of fun with her.

It’s the vetting though that cause most of the problems horse buying and you haven’t had one done, so with your scenario I would have bought horse 3, 5, 6, 9, 15 and my eventual horse 17! Two on those list didn’t want me to vet them so I walked away😬 I would have said I ruled a lot out on phone calls, and I potentially liked half the horses I sat on.

JoannaC

Visit site
She’s looks very lovey and hope you have loads of fun with her.

It’s the vetting though that cause most of the problems horse buying and you haven’t had one done, so with your scenario I would have bought horse 3, 5, 6, 9, 15 and my eventual horse 17! Two on those list didn’t want me to vet them so I walked away😬 I would have said I ruled a lot out on phone calls, and I potentially liked half the horses I sat on.

Very true and of course she may or may not have passed a vetting, she does have a couple of faults but minor and for what I want to do touch wood shouldn't cause a problem. It's a bit different if you are planning on competing at a high level but we are just going to do low level dressage and local stuff, might do some endurance later on but nothing too demanding.

EventingMum

Visit site
Glad it worked out. I'm looking for a very specific type with little sucess so far. Last weekend I dragged Mr EM nearly 5 hours to stay in a Premier Inn to view a horse the following day for the horse to ditch the rider showing him to us within the first few minutes and then threaten to rear with me as soon as I got on :eek:. Hopefully viewing another couple this weekend which are 3.5 hours away desperately hoping it won't be a wasted trip, sadly there doesn't seem to be anything nearer hope that appears remotely suitable.

Summit

Visit site
I dont faff about either. I only look at something if I think it really will suit. I look once, usually know within minutes, pay a deposit and pick up ASAP. Job done!

Same as me. Made the call, drove that day, went out for a hack and deposit paid; delivered the next week.

Was only thinking this morning that any future purchases will not be posted on this forum for comments :p:p

JoannaC

Visit site
Glad it worked out. I'm looking for a very specific type with little sucess so far. Last weekend I dragged Mr EM nearly 5 hours to stay in a Premier Inn to view a horse the following day for the horse to ditch the rider showing him to us within the first few minutes and then threaten to rear with me as soon as I got on :eek:. Hopefully viewing another couple this weekend which are 3.5 hours away desperately hoping it won't be a wasted trip, sadly there doesn't seem to be anything nearer hope that appears remotely suitable.

Oh dear! Hope you have more success at the weekend.