Horse stabled permenantly!

trendybraincell

Visit site
I appreciate that everyone is speaking from experience or simply voicing their concerns, but some posts seem a little judgemental, although they may not be intended that way.

I know OP, our horses are stabled next to each other. She is a very knowledgable individual, who puts herself out to ensure her horse is well looked after. I know it breaks her heart to see him in 24/7, which is why she probably posted on here, to see if there are more options that have not yet been explored.

lauraandjack

Visit site
I think it's a case of what suits you, your horse and your circumstances. Ok nobody really wants to keep their horse in 24/7 but there are plenty of livery yards that oblige people to do this for most of the winter (whether it suits their horse or not) to save the turnout being shredded for the summer.

To be honest, is slopping round in mud up to it's hocks in the peeing rain really what most horses want? I know mine can't wait to come in in the winter, and if the weather is vile I have to drag him out to the field. He's quite content to be inside (and is a Welsh D so is more than capable of coping with the weather!)

I know there is always this big argument about horses evolving to live on the plains and graze all day etc, but don't forget that there is a couple of thousand years of domestication removing them from wild horses. No, their needs haven't entirely changed but I can't see your average warmblood surviving for long on the Russian steppes. Man has changed the natural being of the horse to a certain extent and in return the horse requires care from man.

louisevictoria

Visit site
When I was living abroad we didn't have much of a choice.
All of the horses, not just mine were kept in 24/7 because there wasn't the fields to turn them out in (I was in southern Italy). And as for them being turned out together - forget it, no way was anyone going to risk their precious competition horse getting kicked or injured.
Ther are ways of making it easier - I found that I had to work her nearly every day but always took her for a walk afterwards on a lunge line so she could go and have a nibble of what little grass there was.

Even now after nearly three years of being out in a field for most of the time she will still field walk up and down the fence line (doesn't matter if she has company or not). And unless she is in season and being a cowbag is always very happy to be brought in.

I think some people are being a little harsh and judgmental on the OP here

Hippona

Visit site
IMO...the more you keep 'em in...the madder they go when turned out.

My horse has had a fractured cannon bone amongst other field injuries. He loves to go out, hates being in....I turn him out because he is a horse, not a house cat and I have to realise that I cannot wrap him up in cotton wool. Sure...he gets dirty/wet/injured on occasion....but to keep him in would be cruel to him and only for my benefit.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
My three all live out 24/7 that suits both me and the horses and is my personal choice of management. Horses are often kept stabled abroad 24/7 and if they are happy with that then IMO there isn't a big problem. I would say do what is right for your horse's wellbeing both in mind and body. If your horse's character begins to change you know you'll have to reconsider his management set up.

Tinypony

Visit site
I think that sometimes when people think horses are happy, they aren't. There are lots of tell-tale signs, but often the main one is that the caring owner feels something isn't quite right. They may be picking up on the fact that the horse is almost too calm, or sleeps too much. Whatever, I wonder if Kaismum has posted this because she feels in her bones that things aren't as right as they seem with her horse.
This is what I would consider, having re-habbed several horses to being turned out in the past. Often horses that spin when let loose do it because they are over-excited about going out, maybe because the turnout they are used to isn't for as long as they need. Or, because it has been unpredictable ie different days or times. So I'd think about changing that pattern. I would plan to turn out for as long as possible, and at the same time every day. I would also try to work on the behaviour by the gate. You do this by stopping to have some calm time with the horse when you enter the field, give him treats, rub him, talk to him, and offer a treat as you take the halter off. If he's going out alone, as I suspect this horse is, then I'd probably plonk a bowl of food on the ground inside the gate, take the halter off as his head goes down, and walk away. I'd aim to get him out with companions eventually though, they might play a bit, but generally it helps them be more settled long-term.
He might spin, all you can do is bandage him up and protect him as much as you can, it's a well established pattern and you can't break that overnight. But, the less times you turn him out (ie leave him out), the less spinning he'll do, and the less het up he will get as he anticipates going out.
I know a lot of horses "cope" with being in 24/7, but we all know that it isn't the most healthy option for them, mentally or physically.

Flame_

Visit site
OP.

If I were you, I would keep the horse in for now. Letting the horse cope for a while if it will benefit in the long run is acceptable IMO. Slowly build up the work level as much as you can. Once you are up to decent cantering and jumping on his bad leg he should be strong enough for turnout and larking about on it, especially with support boots.

The field set up needs plenty of grass to keep him occupied, one friend who he settles with and he needs to spend plenty of hours out every day to avoid explosions . If he still re-injures after you've done all this he's just not a sound horse and I'd actually be looking at PTS. Like with the laminitic mentioned earlier, its not much of a life long term and it might be the kinder option.

JavaJaneW

Visit site
IF I had no choice but to stable (for example, horse gets colic the minute it sees grass) then I would have to have the stable in a penned area so at least it could walk about, maybe an open barn or something.

But you can't wrap them up in cotton wool as has been said, I mean, you could easily be out riding, horse stumbles in a rabbit hole, breaks a leg..... it is just not possible to protect and certainly not fair, however domesticated we make them, to keep horses penned in for the whole of their life...
MY opinion of course.
smile.gif

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
OP not sure whether this would work at all, but could you maybe start walking him/ her out to grass in a small paddock, maybe on a lunge line etc and slowly giving them more and more room to wander from you (without them then being in the position to gallop off and be a sod etc etc) and then after they've got used to that perhaps try to discretley let him off into a small paddock?

Or maybe make a paddock in a field thats about the size of 2/3 stables so he can't bomb it around at first but can graze happily next to other horses etc and feel the sun on his back
smile.gif
You can always then extend it the quieter he gets x

AandK

Visit site
i have an injury prone TB who up until the end of last year was stabled at night and out during the day. during the winter, TO was only a few hours a day, some days not at all if the fields/weather was bad. horse is the sort to prat about in the field if bored, such as when not in proper work/not enough grass.
after 5 months of box rest last summer due to a suspensory injury, i decided it would be best for his ligament, and for him in general, to be out 24/7 and this is how he has been living since just before christmas and he loves it. horse is a laid back person anyway (just a prat in field with other horses!) and was quite happy when on box rest, didn't go insane, had plenty of grazing and walker exercise. but he is sooo much happier out all the time, still prats about a bit but no where near as bad.. the plan is to keep him like this permanently.
smile.gif

my advice to OP would be perhaps to try 24/7 TO, give it a couple of months while the weather is good and see how it goes? i know how frustrating it can be haiving an injury prone horse, esp if they are comp horses but i really think it is worth a try.

lensmith7

Visit site
I am going to be completely honest here, and say, if you had asked me thing question 2 months back, I'd have said, no they need turn out it's not natural keeping them in etc.

However, since Josie has badly damaged her suspensory ligament, and since had surgery, I now can empathise completely.

Josie loves going out, dont they all? But I know if she hurts her leg again, thats if it ever gets better, thats it for us.

I feel for you, and I do know what you're going through. I dont think unless you've been faced with this very hard choice it's fair to judge really x x

Cazzah

Visit site
I posted on your thread in Vets section as I have had recent experience with an inflamed tendon sheath with my TB (who is also very accident prone!). He had three months box rest with a controlled exercise programme which has really built up his strength in his affected leg. Towards the end of the three months he was getting 30 minutes cantering daily as part of an hour- one and a half hours work in the school. The vet scanned him before we turned him out and felt that his leg had strengthened enough to cope with his enthusiasm with being out. He was given a full tube of sedalin on the morning he went out and this took the rest of the day to wear off. When I turned him out he was focused entirely on the grass!!

I had my heart in my mouth all day but he was fine. The vet actually recommended leaving him out 24/7 for the next few weeks at least and he has now been out for 6 weeks. He's fine. The vet came yesterday for jabs and was amazed at his fantastic condition - he is thriving far more than he ever did in the stable. He's also more chilled. He has a buck as I let him out again after riding but that's it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I do understand why you have posted asking for opinions and I can fully appreciate why you would want to protect him. However, I believe from personal experience that with patience and effective management most, if not all, horses thrive better outside. He is your horse and you must do what you think is personally right for him - but please explore as many options as possible to ensure his life is as 'equine' as it can be.

teddyt

Visit site
I havnt read all the replies but this is my view:
Horses are designed to have continual gentle movement with the odd burst of speed to get away from a predator. For their digestive system they should eat little and often. So many things about stabling are bad for the horse: haynets/racks affect the back and teeth, confinement affects the musculoskeletal system and respiratory system. By keeping a horse in 24/7 you may feel like you are preventing injuries but sooner or later another problem will crop up because stabling is just wrong for the way a horses body should be managed. Not forgetting the brain too - horses need social interaction, they need to move, they need to eat for 16-18 hours a day and they need to be able to roll.
The more a horse is kept in the worse it generally gets when it does go out. It can be done, you just have to work out how to do it in the best way for your individual horse. This may involve sedation from the vet to start with, a quiet companion, a small paddock, an hour a day gradually building up and so on.

Exercise and a horse walker is really not a substitute for turnout. The musculoskeletal system will have problems with this regime.

Good luck OP, im sure you have very good intentions by thinking in 24/7 is the answer. Unfortunately i believe it will cause other physical and mental health issues.

kookymoose

Visit site
Its different if the horse is laminitic tho he can't go out for his own good. I think it depends on the horse and the situation.

LankyDoodle

Visit site
George - if he had to be stabled 24/7 I'd have him PTS on the spot. He is miserable in his stable. He gets anxious. He has a respiratory problem which has got worse lately. He would be so sad. I would not be that cruel.

Lanky - has sweet itch which he relieves by itching and is worse if in his stable. He is a big horse and most stables would restrict him hugely. I would have him PTS on the spot.

I think there are very few circumstances where I would keep a horse alive, when that horse NEEDED to remain caged for the rest of its days.

Fizzimyst

www.catsprotection.co.uk
QR

The pony has been kept in since last Sunday with me walking her in hand 30 minutes twice a day as she's only just arrived, still a bit nervous so I am not convinced I could catch her again if I had turned out straight away and I want to be there when I turn her out with the other two.

My horses go out every day come rain, wind or shine. They are only kept in if needed to be on boxrest.

They get very bored and arsey if I keep them in for long periods of time.

The pony has accepted being in this week, but once she gets in to the routine of being out more than in perhaps this will change.

I am more concerned when I have had my horses in and then turn them out that they are going to injure themselves going ballistic round the field than if they are out 24/7

They will come in through the day and out at night if it gets a very hot summer again as they have poor shelter and shade in their field, and if the fly bites get any worse then it'll be in through the day and out at night, but otherwise mine are out as much as possible, a good 14 hours a day.

rachel_s

Visit site
A slightly different angle is to look at timing of turn out. I once rode at stables where they had a similar issue in a horse who got injured on anything and everything.
After yet another period of box rest, they turned out in the evening when there was a couple of hours of light but the horses were getting sleepy. They used to wander him down the lane, grazing in hand, spend at least half an hour mooching around, and then let him off then. He was less interested in being loopy and much more interested in grazing by that point. He stayed out overnight and was brought in by day - he had sheep and a donkey as company. In the day time, he stayed in a large pen in a barn where he could wander around, banked with straw bales and where he had a view of everything going on. After four months, they simply turned him out 24/7.
Good luck