Horse sticking tongue out when ridden

FoxTrotx

Visit site
I'm posting here because I'm out if ideas :(
My mare has not been quite right in her mouth since I bought her, I assumed she didn't like her bit (she was in a waterford when I tried her) and her teeth needed attention.

I had her teeth done, they were a little sharp but not as bad as I expected then to be. The dentisit also spotted some old scarring in her mouth that didn't appear to bother her at all and said that her tongue felt as though it had been pulled and held in the past as its quite loose in her mouth (it does slightly bulge out the side of her teeth when shes relaxed).

So once I was happy her teeth weren't causing her problems I started trying different bits. I have discovered;
She strongly objects to single jointed bits (tried thickish eggbut snaffle and a thinner copper roller with cheeks) they resulted in head tossing and constantly trying to get her tongue over.

She evades french links by either dropping behind the vertical or just pulling. (tried hanging cheek french link)

She seems to like her ported kimblewick and works well in it, I think she likes the stillness of the mouthpiece but she still sticks her tongue out.

This wouldn't bother me that much because she seems comfortable and willing when being ridden (she certainly lets you know if she is not) but she has bitten her tongue twice now when we have been jumping. The first time she did it I was pretty scared as her usually white bit of foam on her lips was pink, I jumped straight off and had a look and she had bitten her tongue. She did it again yesterday. She didn't seen at all bothered by it either time but I would like to do some low level showjumping on her and am worried she'll do it halfway round a course.

I've not messed with nosebands yet, she is in a flat hunter style cavesson at present but I'm wondering whether to try her in a different noseband. My only worry is that she doesn't actually open her mouth, she just flops her tongue out the side and I don't want it to get stuck if her noseband stops her pulling it back in (unless the noseband stops her sticking out in the first place)

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sounds like her mouth has had quite a beating in the past... all this evasion is pain, her tongue hurts basically and she'll do anything not to have any pressure on it.

If ported is relatively comfortable, I'd keep going in that. I'd normally say use a nueu shcuele (can never spell it!)......... actually, why don't you give them a ring and explain situation. Make sure you speak to the lady who invented them though. I do rate them even if expensive.

I just think your mare needs a little more tlc than most right now and clamping her mouth shut with nosebands and flashes would be cruel considering how much pain she might be in.

FoxTrotx

Visit site
Thank you for replying, you've confirmed what I thought about nosebands. She is a sensitive soul and I think at one time or another has been badly misunderstood, we have got over so many issues in just 5 months already I'd hate to break her trust and go back to square one.

I will definatley look into these bits if they are going to make her more comfortable, am off to google them now :)

Mari

Visit site
Just a thought but have you considered trying a bitless bridle? Dr cook or similar, I believe there are a few different ones available now.

Batgirl

Visit site
Just a thought but have you considered trying a bitless bridle? Dr cook or similar, I believe there are a few different ones available now.

This, I use a Hackamore for my 17hh to jump in because he is not fond of his bit though we have to use it anyway as we event. You need light hands but can be fantastic, mine goes fab in his.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Quite, yes bitless may be an option! I think you should explore as many options as possible and if you can get her going nicely in a hackamore/dr cook/micklem then all the better :)

calon

Visit site
If she is just lolling her tongue out its prob that she has a large tongue and isnt happy with a bit in her mouth as no room ,i have tried everything going for my mare who does same no resistance but lolls tongue dosent look good in show ring but sadley no quick cure and bitless not option for showing ,i have found a hartwell pelham gives her room and she also prefers snaffles with bevels in them she still does it but not as much it also seems to be more when schooling than hacking ,i found only way to stop it is a flash noseband but if its not affecting her work and she isnt resisting leave it be your very unlikely to stop it .