Horse still refusing to jump. Could the theory be reversed??

runaway

Visit site
I posted the other week about my dad's horse, for every one here's a quick recap - old saddle was pinching and caused white patches either side of his withers. But he still jumped and didn't "do" anything to show any objection to this saddle. Since got new saddle and again shows no objection but is point blank refusing to jump!

Do you think the theory of when a horse is in pain and refuses to jump or go forward etc could be reversed? e.g. been in pain and jumps/rushes etc to avoid pain, now no longer in pain doesn't jump because isn't trying to "get away" from discomfort etc?

I've ridden P again today and he's been really good, trotting out nicely and generally being very relaxed
smile.gif
(baring in mind my dad has an electric arse and I don't) then I tried popping him over a fence at home as Dad thought it was him having an effect on P. But total refusal. Goes up to fence real keen and onward bound then just slaps the anchors on
frown.gif
going in opposite direction he ran out.

If any one can shed some light or suggest anything please do so.
smile.gif

Do you think we should get the back lady out to see if there is something out of sync now he has a different saddle?

Thanks for reading
grin.gif

the watcher

Visit site
Does the new saddle change your position dramatically? It has to be a good fit for you as well the horse, is it more or less forward cut? Maybe taking the weight off the shoulders has put more on the region of the loins than he is comfortable with

pottamus

Visit site
It always worth checking there is no pain there first but it may be that your horse has lost the confidence and is concerned that the pain will return. It may just be a case of going back to the beginning and strting to build him up again...trotting poles...tiny cross pole etc??? That is how I would approach it...see what his comfort zone is and try to widen it over time and he will realise that it no longer hurts.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would have thought that it's most likely due to the new sadle putting pressure on parts of his back previously free from pressure. This in turn could be causing all sorts of aches etc. Or perhaps the fact that pressure is released from other parts, again causing aches in muscles previously prevented from working properly.

How long have you been using the new saddle for now??

KatB

Visit site
Yep agree with Amymay, I think pressure on different areas is giving him a different feel. As soon as muscle starts to build in correct areas again, I think you will find he improves.

Pidge

Visit site
If all pain ruled out, could you try lunging him over trotting poles then small jumps tacked up? Just an idea?

runaway

Visit site
Unfortunately I didn't ride him in his old saddle so am not sure if this is the case or not
frown.gif
Dad is not very good at being able to "feel" things so he's not really noticed a difference. But riding in the new saddle today (comparing it to my saddle and horse) I did feel it tips you forward a bit
confused.gif
The saddle has a similar cut to his old one.

runaway

Visit site
The thing that is really puzzling us is that he has refused to jump all of a sudden - one day he jumped everything Dad put him at, the next day he refused the very first fence and jumped nothing that day
confused.gif
The day he jumped he had his old saddle on, the day he refused everything he had the new saddle on!!!

He has prevoiusly shown no indication of not wanting to jump through either hesitation or refusal.

He's been ridden out 4 times in the new saddle - *am braced for universal shout that this is not long enough a period for saddle to have settled and what do we expect*
frown.gif
Is this the case and have we been asking too much of P
crazy.gif
blush.gif

the watcher

Visit site
Not at all, TBH it sounds like the new one is making him quite uncomfortable if he has never refused before and I would get it looked at asap. Will he loose school/lunge over a jump without the saddle on? If yes I would say there is definitely a saddle problem, if no, then coincidentally maybe he has done himself another injury in the field

runaway

Visit site
Will suggest to Dad that we try loose schooling or lunging over a jump and see what the reaction is. Can see that this is possibly the only way to find out if the problem is saddle related or not.
frown.gif
Will post back with any news once we have tried, Dad is supposed to be hunting P tomorrow
crazy.gif

Thank you all for your input so far, keep it coming if you have anything else to say. It all helps, as we all have such differing experience and ideas
smile.gif
somethig is bound to help x

runaway

Visit site
UPDATE:

Came home tonight to find jumps up in the paddock and Dad getting P tacked up
shocked.gif
! Suggested lunging him over jump first and Dad said he'd do that if didn't have any success riding him!!
confused.gif

So off he goes does a couple of circuits on either rein trotting, goes over a couple of trotting poles a couple of times and then heads to the fence..........

And yes you've guessed it P jumps without hesitation, deviation or sign of discomfort
mad.gif
He jumps 5 or 6 times over a couple of different height fences as if butter wouldn't melt
confused.gif

Now Dad says he thinks he was just having an off day
crazy.gif
and I feel about . big as he wouldn't jump with me this morning.

So work that one out if you will
confused.gif
tomorrow will be the real test though as they're hunting. Ho hum horses hey who'd have them???
smirk.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
We had a horse that would go from jumping to to totally throwing the towel in, but that was caused by corns. Random comment, but could be completely unconnected with new saddle!

Maybe the horse had pulled a muscle etc?

runaway

Visit site
Random comments are often the most productive
smile.gif

UPDATE: The test has thrown a spanner in the works!!!!!!

<span style="color:red">P WOULD NOT JUMP OUT HUNTING!!!</span>

Back to the drawing board!! Not sure it can be saddle related now as he jumped poles at home yesterday! Maybe he dislikes natural fences now for some reason
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif