Horse stopped eating on Cushings tablets

Solo1

Visit site
Hi all,

A friends of mine's horse was tested for Cushings 3 months ago as he weed and drank a lot and his coat was thicker. He was just under the normal range. The weeing and drinking has escalated, he wees about 3 times per ride and has up to 4 an hour, so was retested two weeks ago. He was still under the range but up 10% from 3 months ago so was put on the tablets as he was so close to it.

It's been a week now and the horse refuses to eat anything but his bucket feed. Not hay or haylage or grass; he just stands at the back of his box or the field. Has anyone else known of such an adverse reaction to the tablets? He's a Welsh D and lean anyway. He's now recieving as much bucket feed as we can throw at him, but he's lost a bit of weight and has stopped cleaning the buckets out. Also have to watch what we feed him as he's prone to lami too!

Just looking for some reassurance, the vet said he'd come out and re-evaluate if he doesn't improve in the next couple of days. But he's just not eating!

cptrayes

Visit site
It's a known side effect of pergolide, A friend of mine's horse started on one a day a week ago, with the instruction that if she went off her food it was to be immediately reduced to half.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
they dont usually go off grass so i would be a little concerned that something else is going on. what were his actual levels? and how much prascend is he on? i would be getting the vet out again a s a p.....mine went off her feed a bit when she was first on the tablets but still ate the grass so i have the opposite problem of being a bit too fat...