horse stopping at first fence! help

sherwood'

Visit site
Took my 5 yr old jumping this am and it was a disaster! he had been jumping happily round 90 with me for the past 3/4 weeks and all was goign really well.

I took him to do the 90 today and he stopped at the first fence. But it wasnt a dirty stop it was about 4 strides out and he just came to complete stop. I hit him and got him roudnt he rest fo the course. I dont want this to become a habit.

i no stoping at the first fence is rider error and perhaps i was too laid back (he has tendency to run a bit so i think i maybe checked him and wasnt strogn eunf with my leg).

altho now i have the feeling- knowing his perosnality that if i dotn be extra strogn at the first fence he wil start to take the p**s and do it again?

i used to give him a few smacks before we started- would this be an idea? Any other suggestions?? the usual back, teeth etc are all up to date.
thanks

sherwood'

Visit site
he is due to go out on holiday in a few weeks to be honest as i dont want him going sour but i think it was trying me to see what he cud get away with more!

sherwood'

Visit site
do u reckon a few good slaps behind the leg as i canter round ebofr i begin and then the last few strides down the neck? I was told to try and crack him behind the saddle as we approach and when in the air but i honestly dont think i cud mange to do that and steer??!
confused.gif

Weezy

Visit site
I wouldn't smack in the air either.

Personally I would smack once behind the saddle if he has ignored my leg, get him moving forwards, slap on the neck going into the first fence to keep attention and then hope I didn't have to use my whip again!

Irishcobs

Visit site
Just read the BSJA rules. Not sure if you are doing BSJA, but you can only hit the horse 3 times and only on the rump not the flanks or shoulder. It counts as a hit if you take your whip hand off of the reins.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I wonder if you gave him too much time to see the first fence. Sometimes, a good run up to the first fence on a course gives both horse and rider far too much time to think about it. As the fences are not enormous and he is jumping them happily at home, maybe try to approach the first fence on a circle off a good stride and he won't have time to think about stopping?

Fiona

Visit site
Totally agree with FMM, fairly short approach to the first fence off a nice forward rhythm (perhaps one smack fairly early in the approach of you feel him curling up behind your leg).
I am sure the little brute will soon forget about it if you don't let him do it again. Could you take him XC schooling somewhere just for something different.

Fiona

SpruceRI

Visit site
I would jump him much smaller at shows than jumping at home until he was happy going round the whole course clear.

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just read the BSJA rules. Not sure if you are doing BSJA, but you can only hit the horse 3 times and only on the rump not the flanks or shoulder. It counts as a hit if you take your whip hand off of the reins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on the shoulder
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
Good God, seriously what is the world coming to? I thick ended SJ whip is made for a reminder down the shoulder
crazy.gif
Glad you let me know about that.

sherwood'

Visit site
i hadnt thought of that but thats an excellent suggestion as it was a long stright run up to it! I no he was just trying me but i cant let him get away with messing at the first fence! Thank you- its so agrivating as he had been going very well up until yesterday!

sherwood'

Visit site
Thanks ill try that! He def is a wee brute- i can never relax on him! I was thinking about doing that just to get him used to different types of fences as he took a good look at a rustic filler too so he is getting too used to coloured poles!!!

Peanot

Visit site
I have always let my horse know that we are beginning to jump by giving her a rub on her neck on the turn into the first fence and just saying, `come on, lets go`.
I read somewhere years ago that you must let your horse know that he is gonna start jumping, either by a pat, a rub, a click, a tap on the boot, whatever you like but you must do it everytime you are approaching the first fence, and it must be the same signal. I do this even at home before the first x-pole. It must be consistent tho so as they pick up on it.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I wouldnt start smacking him before the first fence as this might well make him bomb on a bit (which is what you expected). Id just use more leg and encouragement with your voice can work too. Just growl at him as he approaches! But if he begins to even THINK of backing off then you need to be straight onto him and get him forward again.

I would go back down a level, maybe just an 80cm or something just to get his confidence up again and make sure he is simply taking the p*ss.