Horse supposed to go on loan but I am concerned

teddypops

Visit site
Yes we are prepared for that but if she having concerns before he even goes why put him through the stress of moving . The saddle I have spare which I offered to send him with him she said wasn’t suitable as they want to jump not do dressage. I made no changes to the insurance terms they started staying that I should pay I have never heard anyone paying for there horse that’s out on loans insurance .
Ok, you said that it was originally decided that money for insurance would go towards lessons etc. I always paid for insurance when I had my pony out on loan, so that does happen. That way it’s definitely paid for. It is quite normal for people to have a bit of a panic before taking on something as major as a new horse. I would still send a fitted saddle with my horse. However, it’s your horse and your decision, so if you aren’t happy to do it don’t.

twiggy2

Visit site
I would tell her the whole thing I'd off.
Your horse does not care if it is competing although I agree some seem better in work and a routine.
I would look for 2 loaners and keep the horse at your current yard. The loaners covering the cost basically.
However I would not ever hand over the responsibility of the insurance to the loaner, its you with the problems if they stop paying it, I would always cover that cost and sort it myself if insurance was important to me .

Mary3050

Visit site
The issue is the going back on things that have been agreed.

Our loan owner did pay for a new saddle and did keep paying the insurance (the advantage of that is that you know it is being paid - there are instances that the loaner stops paying, then something happens, and the horse is not covered and owner gets horse back with a big vets bill)

But that is not what you agreed, she should have brought this up sooner rather than 'coasting' because the horse stayed at your livery (with you paying for it)

Yes it’s more the changing the goal posts . If she said before then I would have asked for a small contribution and paid the insurance . I am less willing to pay for a new saddle as I have before for a horse that someone was producing for me and competing. The saddle cost a lot , they used it on everyone else’s horse and within months it was damaged and scratched! The fact is that the saddle I offered is not good enough and they expect me to buy a new one !

TGM

Visit site
I suspect a "well-meaning friend" has got involved with the mother and started planting doubts in her ear about the insurance, saddle etc. To be fair, I wouldn't want to have to buy a saddle for a horse I was about to have on loan, in case it went back for any reason. My husband has bought (second-hand) saddles for horses he has had on loan, but only after he had had them some fair while. They both came with saddles initially though.

However, the real issue seems to be the way the mother communicates via the YO rather than directly with you. That is definitely a red flag as good communication is vital in a loan. The 'he said, she said' route via third parties is bound to lead to confusion and a falling out!

Mary3050

Visit site
Ok, you said that it was originally decided that money for insurance would go towards lessons etc. I always paid for insurance when I had my pony out on loan, so that does happen. That way it’s definitely paid for. It is quite normal for people to have a bit of a panic before taking on something as major as a new horse. I would still send a fitted saddle with my horse. However, it’s your horse and your decision, so if you aren’t happy to do it don’t.

No we originally decided that I would not charge for the loan of the horse so they could spend money on lessons and they would pay insurance. But I said if they aren’t paying for the insurance then I expect a contribution per month . I offered a saddle they said it’s not suitable due to be a dressage saddle . I won’t buy a new saddle as last time it got damaged !

Polos Mum

Visit site
When I had a horse on loan recently he came with a saddle that didn't fit. I bought my own quality make but second hand that was professionally fitted to him, when he went back I sold the saddle for only a few £'s less than I bought it for.

I knew his owner might want him back at any point but I wasn't prepared to ride in a saddle that didn't fit and the approach above worked for everyone.

Years ago I had a horse on loan that came with a headcollar only. I also fully kitted him out, fell in love and had him longer than the 'owner' (who visited him twice in 10 years).

teddypops

Visit site
No we originally decided that I would not charge for the loan of the horse so they could spend money on lessons and they would pay insurance. But I said if they aren’t paying for the insurance then I expect a contribution per month . I offered a saddle they said it’s not suitable due to be a dressage saddle . I won’t buy a new saddle as last time it got damaged !
Ok I get that. It doesn’t have to be a new saddle, just one that fits the horse, but as I said it’s your horse so it’s up to you.

Mary3050

Visit site
I suspect a "well-meaning friend" has got involved with the mother and started planting doubts in her ear about the insurance, saddle etc. To be fair, I wouldn't want to have to buy a saddle for a horse I was about to have on loan, in case it went back for any reason. My husband has bought (second-hand) saddles for horses he has had on loan, but only after he had had them some fair while. They both came with saddles initially though.

However, the real issue seems to be the way the mother communicates via the YO rather than directly with you. That is definitely a red flag as good communication is vital in a loan. The 'he said, she said' route via third parties is bound to lead to confusion and a falling out!

I offered to send a dressage saddle however they said it’s not suitable for the activities she wants to do . Fair enough and they would sort saddle . But now they expect me to buy a new event saddle ?

Yes I don’t like the going over my head to the YO

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yes it’s more the changing the goal posts . If she said before then I would have asked for a small contribution and paid the insurance . I am less willing to pay for a new saddle as I have before for a horse that someone was producing for me and competing. The saddle cost a lot , they used it on everyone else’s horse and within months it was damaged and scratched! The fact is that the saddle I offered is not good enough and they expect me to buy a new one !

If I were taking a horse on loan that came with a well fitted saddle, but not the style I wanted (say it came with dressage but I wanted a jump saddle), I would take that dressage saddle for the horse and hunt around for a jump saddle in the meantime, on my own dime. I think that's fairly reasonable. I wouldn't put it on the owner to buy something new in that scenario. Technically if I were smart about it the jump saddle could be sold for a decent price if/when the loan terminated, and if I were really into the horse, I'd take the risk.

From the other side, If I got bad vibes in the beginning, before the loan started, I'd not loan my horse to them.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I offered to send a dressage saddle however they said it’s not suitable for the activities she wants to do . Fair enough and they would sort saddle . But now they expect me to buy a new event saddle ?

Yes I don’t like the going over my head to the YO

The latter part I especially don't like. It shows a lack of respect.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Run. They don't respect you, they have no intention of abiding by the original agreement - it will be no end of nightmares.
Trust your gut on this one.
And once you have told them, make sure you speak to your YO and make sure that they absolutely know that your horse is not to leave the yard, just in case they try to collect him anyway.

Shem for the girl but there will be no end of people who will get on well with your horse if he is as great as he comes across.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would simply inform them that the loan was no longer going to work for me and was off.

They will likely do a 180 turnaround, be sickeningly nice, but I wouldn't listen. As soon as it is going their way again, they will push again.

If the horse can compete and isn't mad, you will easily find a grateful loaner.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would simply inform them that the loan was no longer going to work for me and was off.

They will likely do a 180 turnaround, be sickeningly nice, but I wouldn't listen. As soon as it is going their way again, they will push again.

If the horse can compete and isn't mad, you will easily find a grateful loaner.

This, this, this!

Nudibranch

Visit site
While I agree that I would terminate this before it starts, have you considered whether you would genuinely be happy with a loan with anyone? It might be better in the long run to sell.
Your posts often seem to involve interpersonal dramas, and some people are better off knowing exactly where they stand, i.e. I own the horse, or not.

Mary3050

Visit site
When I had a horse on loan recently he came with a saddle that didn't fit. I bought my own quality make but second hand that was professionally fitted to him, when he went back I sold the saddle for only a few £'s less than I bought it for.

I knew his owner might want him back at any point but I wasn't prepared to ride in a saddle that didn't fit and the approach above worked for everyone.

Years ago I had a horse on loan that came with a headcollar only. I also fully kitted him out, fell in love and had him longer than the 'owner' (who visited him twice in 10 years).

I have a saddle she doesn’t like it because it’s a dressage saddle. I have had competition horse on loan when I used to compete . One I was told to pick up after I transferred the owner £1500 . She texted me her address I rode the horse at a show so I had an idea of what I was getting . She wasn’t there when I arrived I rang her she said on I am on holiday . Just go around the back he’s in the field ? . I was gob snacked I was greeted by a massive hairy cob covered in mud and soaking wet . I loaded it up went home spent day cleaning and deluging his mane . He didn’t even come with a head collar ? . I insured him payed everything but I was desperate for a top horse for the season !

Hollychops

Visit site
You just need to say I am really sorry it looks like there has been a misunderstanding regarding the terms of the loan and I do not think that this is going to work
Agree with this and other answers.

She seems to be having 2nd thoughts or genuinely deciding its not going to work and looking for ways to get out of it without actually saying it!

I have been both the loaner and the loanee and always had it down in black and white what was expected from both sides.

If you arent happy, then end it now before it is too late.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site

I did the same with my boy when I was loaning him. He came with tack that just didn't work for him, so I sent it back and bought suitable second hand alternatives. (I ended up buying him down the line so has worked out well for me).
I also paid fully for all his costs including insurance which was part of the contract.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
When you loan a horse out to someone you loan it out to them on your terms which have explained to the loaner and have been agreed (in writing) . Yes, there might be a bit of negotiation and haggling, but stick to what works for you. When I have loaned out a horse I didn't loan out with a saddle as it is a high value item but I helped them source a saddle that fitted and I made the loaner aware of this from the outset. I also keep up with the insurance because a) I wanted to ensure that the horse remained insured, and b) if the horse were to die, I wanted the mortality payment.

Moving the goalposts before the loan has even really started sends out massive red flags, as does not communicating with you directly. Why talk to the YO? Are they afraid of you, avoiding you, or showing you a total lack of regard?

I'd be telling them very clearly that the horse is no longer available for loan. In today's market a loan horse is a valuable commodity, in fact if it is a smaller horse suitable for a very keen and wonderful teenager please let me know, I have a friend that is seeking a new friend for her daughter after the very sad loss of their last horse.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I would walk away, in the current market, there will be many people who want your horse on loan so it's not like he's difficult to place.

There are all sort of loan agreements and different arrangements, when I had a loan the owner paid for the insurance but I was responsible for everything else. Horse came with a headcollar and one turnout rug. Mine also came with a list of activities he could be used for.

However what I would do is go through some example loan agreements and decide what you want. Have this in place for any potential loaners to go through before they even try the horse. That way both sides are clear about expectations and responsibilities and it's in writing to refer back to.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Another who absolutely would not loan to these people.

My last loan, I paid for the insurance. She let me have her saddle but on condition that I included it on the insurance policy.

The going behind your back to speak to your YO is a huge no no for me, as is constantly trying to change the terms of the agreement.

Life is stressful enough without having people like this around!

Mary3050

Visit site
When you loan a horse out to someone you loan it out to them on your terms which have explained to the loaner and have been agreed (in writing) . Yes, there might be a bit of negotiation and haggling, but stick to what works for you. When I have loaned out a horse I didn't loan out with a saddle as it is a high value item but I helped them source a saddle that fitted and I made the loaner aware of this from the outset. I also keep up with the insurance because a) I wanted to ensure that the horse remained insured, and b) if the horse were to die, I wanted the mortality payment.

Moving the goalposts before the loan has even really started sends out massive red flags, as does not communicating with you directly. Why talk to the YO? Are they afraid of you, avoiding you, or showing you a total lack of regard?

I'd be telling them very clearly that the horse is no longer available for loan. In today's market a loan horse is a valuable commodity, in fact if it is a smaller horse suitable for a very keen and wonderful teenager please let me know, I have a friend that is seeking a new friend for her daughter after the very sad loss of their last horse.

Thank you . I thought it was odd that she didn’t speak to me first. They speak to me almost daily if not in person they will message both mother and daughter if they need anything or just to let me know how the horse has gone .

Pm rough area as I would like him to stay local ish ! Thanks

PurBee

Visit site
I wouldnt go ahead with the loan for the sole reason theyve had 3/4 months of you paying full livery at your yard to trial the horse - only to then want another 6 weeks trial when they move him to a new yard, as mother is unsure the girl will manage mucking out.
She’s quite happy to find time/energy to ride the horse, but not sure she’ll handle the day to day ground care? Thats concerning.

rowan666

Visit site
Tell them if they can't commit to the original agreement then you will terminate the loan. The horse should be sent with with tack, rug, headcollar that you are happy with, if they are not happy with what is sent then they can buy new but that's on them, I have bought tack for horses on loan to me when I didn't feel tack was suitable for me but I would never have expected owner to pay for new stuff just because I personally didn't like what the horse came with. Insurance is a funny one, I own two out on full loan and they are to cover vets bills/insurance but if the horses were of high value I would insure myself so as not to be out of pocket if the horse were to die/loss of use etc whilst in their care but I would expect loaner to pay excess for vet claims

Mary3050

Visit site
I wouldnt go ahead with the loan for the sole reason theyve had 3/4 months of you paying full livery at your yard to trial the horse - only to then want another 6 weeks trial when they move him to a new yard, as mother is unsure the girl will manage mucking out.
She’s quite happy to find time/energy to ride the horse, but not sure she’ll handle the day to day ground care? Thats concerning.

This is what got me to they have had all that time to make a choice . They would have surly spoke about that when they first viewed him for loan about how to mange another . I don’t understand why the mother would let the child get attached and put the work in getting to know the horse for her to be not serious ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
This is what got me to they have had all that time to make a choice . They would have surly spoke about that when they first viewed him for loan about how to mange another . I don’t understand why the mother would let the child get attached and put the work in getting to know the horse for her to be not serious ?
So, what are you going to do?

Arzada

Visit site
You need to stop their involvement asap. Decide on a very simple, can't be argued with reason like Red-1's reason or simply that you have changed your mind. And stick to this. Practice repeating and repeating so that you are in auto 'broken record' mode when they argue with you. If you go into the reasons and the whys and wherefores then you give them the ammo to argue with you. Good luck

Last edited:

Surbie

Visit site
OP, don't overthink this as to why or wherefore. Stop the loan. Consider it as a lucky escape.

I absolutely agree. And dont get drawn into a lengthy exchange, it won't help and will only stress you out.

I would also make sure the YO understands the loan isn't going forward.

No need to go into detail and involve the YO too, but just to make sure any engagement on their part with the loan family stops and they are clear the loan family should not have access to your horse any more.