Horse supposed to go on loan but I am concerned

Lois Lame

Visit site
I am torn as I like the girl she suits the horse and they make a fab pair but I am concerned a little by the mother !

What do I do

How about telling the mother that you have changed your mind about lending anyone the horse but you will sell him if they are interested. After the mother's reaction (which might be a bit excited), calmly repeat. (Be careful not to interrupt her.)

I think the mother has forgotten what's reasonable and what isn't.

Leandy

Visit site
These people sound high maintenance! Personally I would end the arrangement now. I'm not sure the point around a trial period is really valid though, either way. A horse on loan is on perpetual trial, the loaner can return it at any time and that is one of the risks of loaning. You can try to agree a reasonable notice period for return but at the end of the day, if they want to return in early there is not much you can do. You always need to be prepared to take the pony back. You do have other options if you wish though eg sit the mother down once and for all and set out clearly exactly what you want them to cover and what you are prepared to cover, write it all in a contract and sign it. Be clear, don't be pushed. You may or may not come out with an agreement satisfactory to both sides and in writing. If that does not work, then obviously the loan is off. Alternatively, you could say that as they clearly want ownership, and not the inconvenience of a loan, you are prepared to sell at x price and they have x number of days to let you know their decision, after which, again the loan will cease.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have told the mother I am sorry he is no longer for loan . She said I waisted there time had a bit of a huff but seems to be okay about it . I don’t actually think the mother wanted another think she was forced by the child . Thanks everyone
I'm sure you've done the right thing. Can you find a sharer instead for as many or little days as required?

Flying_Form

Visit site
Hi Guys,

So I decided in October I was going to put on of my horses out on loan if I could find the right person . More because I feel he is wasted with me and has so much to give . He still wants to be competing etc

Anyways I mentioned it to a friend she had a friend who would be interested in him for her daughter.

I was apprehensive as I wanted an adult but they came the daughter is 14 . But mum is so supportive they came and rode him a few times it went really well . The daughter and the horse are great . She already adores him, takes good care of him and enjoys him everything I wanted .

Basically, the mum said they wanted him but couldn’t get a stable on there yard until March . I said that was fine as I was in no rush to find another and thought it was good to make sure they where right for each other.

However the mother is starting to cause me issues. So I originally set out what I was expecting and they ie who was insuring I said they should insure him from feb when current insurance runs out , who was paying for what etc .

Anyways so the other yesterday my Yard owner rang to say the Mother had told her the horse was leaving February 5th and what am I doing with my stable. This was never discussed with me. So I message the mother to ask what had changed she basically said they want to move him then and I need to sort my end out asap. So okay I said fine .

I started getting the contract together etc . I said that they would need to start getting insurance done so she comes up at the yard and said they have decided that I should pay for the insurance as they where essentially going to be improving my horse and shouldn’t pay for it as her Friend doesn’t . I said that this was fine but I would expect them to pay a monthly contribution to me for insurance . We originally said this wouldn’t be the case as I would rather it go toward th having lesson etc with him .

Now she has message saying that she wants the tack to be sent including the saddle . I said originally I would and bridle and rugs but they would need to sort a saddle and get it fitted . As I have an adapted saddle for my disability and the one she’s riding in is what the groom rides in when schooling the others . I said this was not possible to which she said I would have to by a saddle for the daughter and send with the horse. But originally they said they had an old jump saddle that doesn’t fit there horse should fit him and would take to saddler .

Now today she message to say that she is aware that I am actively viewing other horse and that I should wait incase she send the horse back in the 6 weeks! When I said a trial at there yard was not discussed and she had the horse on my yard which I paid for with over 3/4 months . When I asked what was her concern was she wasn’t concerned about the horse not settling more that her daughter wouldn’t cope with another to muck out ! My yard only does full livery which I have been paying for. Apparently she told my yard owner this not me !

I am astonished that she’s only questioning this now. If he had to come back he would have to enter a 2 weeks isolation . There seems to be no question to the horses routine is going to be upset or who’s gonna pay for the increased cost of the isolation livery or holding the stable for 6 weeks.

She seems to be thinking that she doing me a favour taking the horse on loan .

Is she just trying to push me to see what she can get out of me . Do I just lay out on the table my expectations what’s happening and tell them it’s my way or not .

I am torn as I like the girl she suits the horse and they make a fab pair but I am concerned a little by the mother !

What do I do
Absolutely no way. If there is red flags this early on, it is only going to get worse. It sounds like the mother is the type who if you give an inch she takes a mile. These are not the right people. You owe them absolutely nothing! This is your horse and it isn’t like lending your classmate a pencil. If there isn’t a solid foundation, which already seems to be crumbling, this whole arrangement seems to be a recipe for disaster. When finding other people to loan him to, have a basic contract already made up with the absolutes of the arrangement and the extra things you can discuss and change but stand your ground and let nobody walk all over you! Loaning is so tricky you need to be 100% about people when you have such a personal investment in the horse.