Horse supposed to go on loan but I am concerned

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi Guys,

So I decided in October I was going to put on of my horses out on loan if I could find the right person . More because I feel he is wasted with me and has so much to give . He still wants to be competing etc

Anyways I mentioned it to a friend she had a friend who would be interested in him for her daughter.

I was apprehensive as I wanted an adult but they came the daughter is 14 . But mum is so supportive they came and rode him a few times it went really well . The daughter and the horse are great . She already adores him, takes good care of him and enjoys him everything I wanted .

Basically, the mum said they wanted him but couldn’t get a stable on there yard until March . I said that was fine as I was in no rush to find another and thought it was good to make sure they where right for each other.

However the mother is starting to cause me issues. So I originally set out what I was expecting and they ie who was insuring I said they should insure him from feb when current insurance runs out , who was paying for what etc .

Anyways so the other yesterday my Yard owner rang to say the Mother had told her the horse was leaving February 5th and what am I doing with my stable. This was never discussed with me. So I message the mother to ask what had changed she basically said they want to move him then and I need to sort my end out asap. So okay I said fine .

I started getting the contract together etc . I said that they would need to start getting insurance done so she comes up at the yard and said they have decided that I should pay for the insurance as they where essentially going to be improving my horse and shouldn’t pay for it as her Friend doesn’t . I said that this was fine but I would expect them to pay a monthly contribution to me for insurance . We originally said this wouldn’t be the case as I would rather it go toward th having lesson etc with him .

Now she has message saying that she wants the tack to be sent including the saddle . I said originally I would and bridle and rugs but they would need to sort a saddle and get it fitted . As I have an adapted saddle for my disability and the one she’s riding in is what the groom rides in when schooling the others . I said this was not possible to which she said I would have to by a saddle for the daughter and send with the horse. But originally they said they had an old jump saddle that doesn’t fit there horse should fit him and would take to saddler .

Now today she message to say that she is aware that I am actively viewing other horse and that I should wait incase she send the horse back in the 6 weeks! When I said a trial at there yard was not discussed and she had the horse on my yard which I paid for with over 3/4 months . When I asked what was her concern was she wasn’t concerned about the horse not settling more that her daughter wouldn’t cope with another to muck out ! My yard only does full livery which I have been paying for. Apparently she told my yard owner this not me !

I am astonished that she’s only questioning this now. If he had to come back he would have to enter a 2 weeks isolation . There seems to be no question to the horses routine is going to be upset or who’s gonna pay for the increased cost of the isolation livery or holding the stable for 6 weeks.

She seems to be thinking that she doing me a favour taking the horse on loan .

Is she just trying to push me to see what she can get out of me . Do I just lay out on the table my expectations what’s happening and tell them it’s my way or not .

I am torn as I like the girl she suits the horse and they make a fab pair but I am concerned a little by the mother !

What do I do

bonny

Visit site
Hi Guys,

So I decided in October I was going to put on of my horses out on loan if I could find the right person . More because I feel he is wasted with me and has so much to give . He still wants to be competing etc

Anyways I mentioned it to a friend she had a friend who would be interested in him for her daughter.

I was apprehensive as I wanted an adult but they came the daughter is 14 . But mum is so supportive they came and rode him a few times it went really well . The daughter and the horse are great . She already adores him, takes good care of him and enjoys him everything I wanted .

Basically, the mum said they wanted him but couldn’t get a stable on there yard until March . I said that was fine as I was in no rush to find another and thought it was good to make sure they where right for each other.

However the mother is starting to cause me issues. So I originally set out what I was expecting and they ie who was insuring I said they should insure him from feb when current insurance runs out , who was paying for what etc .

Anyways so the other yesterday my Yard owner rang to say the Mother had told her the horse was leaving February 5th and what am I doing with my stable. This was never discussed with me. So I message the mother to ask what had changed she basically said they want to move him then and I need to sort my end out asap. So okay I said fine .

I started getting the contract together etc . I said that they would need to start getting insurance done so she comes up at the yard and said they have decided that I should pay for the insurance as they where essentially going to be improving my horse and shouldn’t pay for it as her Friend doesn’t . I said that this was fine but I would expect them to pay a monthly contribution to me for insurance . We originally said this wouldn’t be the case as I would rather it go toward th having lesson etc with him .

Now she has message saying that she wants the tack to be sent including the saddle . I said originally I would and bridle and rugs but they would need to sort a saddle and get it fitted . As I have an adapted saddle for my disability and the one she’s riding in is what the groom rides in when schooling the others . I said this was not possible to which she said I would have to by a saddle for the daughter and send with the horse. But originally they said they had an old jump saddle that doesn’t fit there horse should fit him and would take to saddler .

Now today she message to say that she is aware that I am actively viewing other horse and that I should wait incase she send the horse back in the 6 weeks! When I said a trial at there yard was not discussed and she had the horse on my yard which I paid for with over 3/4 months . When I asked what was her concern was she wasn’t concerned about the horse not settling more that her daughter wouldn’t cope with another to muck out ! My yard only does full livery which I have been paying for. Apparently she told my yard owner this not me !

I am astonished that she’s only questioning this now. If he had to come back he would have to enter a 2 weeks isolation . There seems to be no question to the horses routine is going to be upset or who’s gonna pay for the increased cost of the isolation livery or holding the stable for 6 weeks.

She seems to be thinking that she doing me a favour taking the horse on loan .

Is she just trying to push me to see what she can get out of me . Do I just lay out on the table my expectations what’s happening and tell them it’s my way or not .

I am torn as I like the girl she suits the horse and they make a fab pair but I am concerned a little by the mother !

What do I do
Run for the hills

This arrangement just isn’t going to work

Surbie

Visit site

What do I do

Personally, and as a former loaner, I would terminate the loan before it starts. I would never have dreamed of coming up with that sort of nonsense.

Either she agrees to the terms you are happy with, or she finds another horse. She sounds annoying to deal with already and it hasn't even started. Who needs that?!

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you are having changes of mind and demands now then this will only get worse when he goes. While my experience was as loanee not loaner the small things at the start snowballed and it was a nightmare.

Sad for the daughter but arrangements like this need to be built on openness, trust and honesty. You have none of that and its not started yet.

Find someone else.

jnb

Visit site
This sort of person sounds like they might disappear with your horse without a trace! Call off the loan pronto before your next HHO post is "Has anyone seen xxxx my horse on loan has gone missing". Please - I'd hate for you to be taken advantage of. This person is showing you who they are, please listen before it's too late.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, I agree with all the others, call it off now as mumzilla is far too demanding. This is a horse, not a commodity.

I'm sure most of us would help out to find a loan home, but this definitely doesnt sound right for horse.

(Sorry, Can he pop 90/100 and be left on own in yard occasionally? I'm looking for a loan or low purchase £'s for neighbour with v experienced mum for good rising 17yr old, if anyone knows of one, let me know. Limited purchase funds due to dog vet bills and unexpected extra house move costs)

teddypops

Visit site
As with any loan, you have to expect the horse might be returned to you at any point. This could easily be because the person loaning can’t cope with the extra workload, there is a problem with the horse, or for no reason at all. So a change of routine/ isolation for the horse will always have to be considered. I can also understand why they think a saddle should come with the horse and I wouldn’t send a horse of mine on loan without one because I would want to know it fitted. The insurance needs to be agreed between you and it sounds like you have made changes there to what was originally agreed. If the daughter is perfect for the horse then you and the mother need to go through the loan agreement and sort everything out, or don’t loan horse to them.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Run as fast and as far as you can from this woman - she has already tried to make decisions about YOUR horse without consulting you. That level of entitlement, it wouldn't surprise me if she then convinced herself the horse was hers and they then vanished, along with the horse.
Just don't do it - the right loaner will come along! (and they will be GRATEFUL you're willing to trust them with your horse....not like this loony tune!)

Mary3050

Visit site
As with any loan, you have to expect the horse might be returned to you at any point. This could easily be because the person loaning can’t cope with the extra workload, there is a problem with the horse, or for no reason at all. So a change of routine/ isolation for the horse will always have to be considered. I can also understand why they think a saddle should come with the horse and I wouldn’t send a horse of mine on loan without one because I would want to know it fitted. The insurance needs to be agreed between you and it sounds like you have made changes there to what was originally agreed. If the daughter is perfect for the horse then you and the mother need to go through the loan agreement and sort everything out, or don’t loan horse to them.

Yes we are prepared for that but if she having concerns before he even goes why put him through the stress of moving . The saddle I have spare which I offered to send him with him she said wasn’t suitable as they want to jump not do dressage. I made no changes to the insurance terms they started staying that I should pay I have never heard anyone paying for there horse that’s out on loans insurance .

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The issue is the going back on things that have been agreed.

Our loan owner did pay for a new saddle and did keep paying the insurance (the advantage of that is that you know it is being paid - there are instances that the loaner stops paying, then something happens, and the horse is not covered and owner gets horse back with a big vets bill)

But that is not what you agreed, she should have brought this up sooner rather than 'coasting' because the horse stayed at your livery (with you paying for it)