Horse supposed to go on loan but I am concerned

abbijay

Visit site
I have loaned 2 over the years; I have been responsible for insuring both although the most recent one had an value higher than I could get insurance for so I insured at a lower price but knew if he died I would be contracted to pay the difference in his value. When it comes to insurance I would put in the contract that they must insure for 'x' value and vet fees to 'y' amount or they are liable for these sums personally - basically this way if they stop paying insurance you still have recourse to them.
Both came with a full set of tack but the recent loan horse came with a saddle and it was a horrid to ride in. I wanted to dressage and it was a GP but I didn't go to the owner and demand a new saddle. I waited a few months and then traded my old dressage saddle in (it didn't go near him) for another second hand one. I haven't sold it on since he went back but in the 2 years I've had it it hasn't lost value so don't consider this an unreasonable expectation as a loaner of a decent competition horse to get tack to my taste for him. The only times I have known owners buy tack just to suit someone else is when a professional is competing for them but that's not what this sounds like.
I'm afraid I'm another person who thinks now is the time to walk away and find someone else who will appreciate the opportunity; spring is round the corner so a really good time to readvertise!

PurBee

Visit site
This is what got me to they have had all that time to make a choice . They would have surly spoke about that when they first viewed him for loan about how to mange another . I don’t understand why the mother would let the child get attached and put the work in getting to know the horse for her to be not serious ?

oftentimes we never can know people’s motivations …just focus on the red flags that are evident for you - those alone suggest this loan is likely to be troublesome if you proceed.

Trouper

Visit site
If they are trying to pare costs and make life difficult for you before the horse even moves it would raise all sorts of flags for me. I have known a friend's loan go wrong and all the excuses seem plausible enough at the beginning but they always hide something deeper. How do you know he will even be cared for properly once he is out of sight?
Agree with others who have said get another loaner who can keep him on your yard.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Hi Guys,

So I decided in October I was going to put on of my horses out on loan if I could find the right person . More because I feel he is wasted with me and has so much to give . He still wants to be competing etc

Anyways I mentioned it to a friend she had a friend who would be interested in him for her daughter.

I was apprehensive as I wanted an adult but they came the daughter is 14 . But mum is so supportive they came and rode him a few times it went really well . The daughter and the horse are great . She already adores him, takes good care of him and enjoys him everything I wanted .

Basically, the mum said they wanted him but couldn’t get a stable on there yard until March . I said that was fine as I was in no rush to find another and thought it was good to make sure they where right for each other.

However the mother is starting to cause me issues. So I originally set out what I was expecting and they ie who was insuring I said they should insure him from feb when current insurance runs out , who was paying for what etc .

Anyways so the other yesterday my Yard owner rang to say the Mother had told her the horse was leaving February 5th and what am I doing with my stable. This was never discussed with me. So I message the mother to ask what had changed she basically said they want to move him then and I need to sort my end out asap. So okay I said fine .

I started getting the contract together etc . I said that they would need to start getting insurance done so she comes up at the yard and said they have decided that I should pay for the insurance as they where essentially going to be improving my horse and shouldn’t pay for it as her Friend doesn’t . I said that this was fine but I would expect them to pay a monthly contribution to me for insurance . We originally said this wouldn’t be the case as I would rather it go toward th having lesson etc with him .

Now she has message saying that she wants the tack to be sent including the saddle . I said originally I would and bridle and rugs but they would need to sort a saddle and get it fitted . As I have an adapted saddle for my disability and the one she’s riding in is what the groom rides in when schooling the others . I said this was not possible to which she said I would have to by a saddle for the daughter and send with the horse. But originally they said they had an old jump saddle that doesn’t fit there horse should fit him and would take to saddler .

Now today she message to say that she is aware that I am actively viewing other horse and that I should wait incase she send the horse back in the 6 weeks! When I said a trial at there yard was not discussed and she had the horse on my yard which I paid for with over 3/4 months . When I asked what was her concern was she wasn’t concerned about the horse not settling more that her daughter wouldn’t cope with another to muck out ! My yard only does full livery which I have been paying for. Apparently she told my yard owner this not me !

I am astonished that she’s only questioning this now. If he had to come back he would have to enter a 2 weeks isolation . There seems to be no question to the horses routine is going to be upset or who’s gonna pay for the increased cost of the isolation livery or holding the stable for 6 weeks.

She seems to be thinking that she doing me a favour taking the horse on loan .

Is she just trying to push me to see what she can get out of me . Do I just lay out on the table my expectations what’s happening and tell them it’s my way or not .

I am torn as I like the girl she suits the horse and they make a fab pair but I am concerned a little by the mother !

What do I do

Run! They sound like a nightmare already.
People are desperate for loans at the moment so I'm sure you can find a much more suitable candidate

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
When I took on my loan horse the owner lent me her saddle while I got mine altered to fit. As soon as I did I gave hers back. I’d only been using mine for 4 weeks and it got stolen ☹️☹️☹️ Owner heard and sent her saddle back to me via the farrier, so I had her saddle again until I managed to source another.. that’s how nice a loan arrangement can be. I think you need to stop your loan straight away !!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
My advice to anyone that loans a horse is that the owner of the horse continues to insure the horse so that there is no doubt that the horse is insured and that any benefits or pay outs from the policy go to the owner of the horse.

Yes but the loaner pays the costs to owner for insurance by direct debit whilst horse is on loan.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Yes we are prepared for that but if she having concerns before he even goes why put him through the stress of moving . The saddle I have spare which I offered to send him with him she said wasn’t suitable as they want to jump not do dressage. I made no changes to the insurance terms they started staying that I should pay I have never heard anyone paying for there horse that’s out on loans insurance .

Just with regard to the insurance if I loaned my horse out I would continue to pay any insurance myself. Firstly it’s my horse so ultimately I’m responsible should anything go wrong so I would want to know the insurance covered what I wanted it to and ensure the premiums were paid.

Secondly in terms of a payout for the value of the horse should it die - can this even be paid to someone who doesn’t own the animal? For example could I randomly take a policy out of my friends horse and claim it’s value when it dies?

Surbie

Visit site
Just with regard to the insurance....... in terms of a payout for the value of the horse should it die - can this even be paid to someone who doesn’t own the animal? For example could I randomly take a policy out of my friends horse and claim it’s value when it dies?

As a loaner, my insurance policy had the owner's full contact details. If anything had happened, the money would have gone to the owner, not to me. The insurer (NFU) was fully aware the horse was on loan to me.

teddypops

Visit site
As a loaner, my insurance policy had the owner's full contact details. If anything had happened, the money would have gone to the owner, not to me. The insurer (NFU) was fully aware the horse was on loan to me.
Is the owner paying the premium?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Just with regard to the insurance if I loaned my horse out I would continue to pay any insurance myself. Firstly it’s my horse so ultimately I’m responsible should anything go wrong so I would want to know the insurance covered what I wanted it to and ensure the premiums were paid.

Secondly in terms of a payout for the value of the horse should it die - can this even be paid to someone who doesn’t own the animal? For example could I randomly take a policy out of my friends horse and claim it’s value when it dies?

no it goes to the owner…. Had one on loan who was PTS. Even though I paid for the insurance mainly for vets fees, the owner got the money.

teddypops

Visit site
Nope I was. NFU seemed very unconcerned and sold me a policy for a loan horse. Horse was on full loan to me, the only payment to the owner would have been if it had died. Thankfully nothing went wrong and the horse is now mine.
I had a horse on loan and I paid the insurance and the company was aware I had him on loan but they paid money to me as it was my policy.

neddy man

Visit site
Who is paying the livery costs at the new yard if them will it be full/part/or DIY, have you been to the yard to check it out, if part or DIY come next November when there will be less riding if the yard doesn't have an arena and more work for them when stabled overnight will they just stop the contract? I agree with everyone else RUN RUN RUN

Winters100

Visit site
I would say that for a loan arrangement to be successful there has to be some trust, and a spirit of cooperation, between the parties. This is not the case here. You have been more than generous in offering them a free loan in exchange for covering insurance, and they have responded by moving the goalposts and expecting you to fall into line. Going forward you will need to agree about the management of the horse with these people, and to be happy with the level of care that they provide. It does not sound as if they would be easy to deal with in case of a difference of opinion, so I would just walk away. I would not get drawn into a long discussion about who is in the right, just tell them that I had changed my mind and leave it at that. Speaking personally, if I was ever to loan, I would look for someone happy to keep the horse where it is, and also someone who would behave in a much more reasonable manner than these people. I agree with pretty mush everyone else here....run and don't look back.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Have read a few of the responses on here and my immediate reaction is to put the STOP placards up!!

For pity's sake, what cheek of the woman to blab to your YO that she is having the horse; and basically give her notice on your behalf!

If you are having problems now at this stage then believe me you will have even more in the future if you let this woman have your horse!!

I've been both a Loaner AND a Loanee: and the key words IME are "Communication" and "Transparency". This woman is basically calling all the shots even before she's got your horse!!

End it, end it now. Say you've had a change of mind and the horse is no longer available. Communicate direct with you YO and say you're sorry there's obviously been a misunderstanding and your horse is staying on the yard for the foreseeable future. What bleddi cheek! Words fail me.

There are plenty of others out there who'd appreciate what you would be allowing them to have - without all this hassle!

Jeez, some people take the Yellow Liquid big-time. Who does this woman think she is?