Horse temper tantrums...moan!

pottamus

Visit site
Just need a bit of a moan really....
frown.gif
Does anyone else have a horse that has temper tantrums? I love my horse to bits but flippin heck he can be so difficult some times!
mad.gif
I have had for three years, he is Welsh and I know all the tricks he throws at me and manage to deal with them. He has only ever had me off twice having a tantrum in all that time.
I suppose after this mornings episode I just need to vent because I wish he realised what it does to me mentally when he has a paddy!
Don't get me wrong...I cope and it does not happen all that often...and we just get on with it but ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
This morning it was because a horse passed us and he wanted to follow, so he started his buck, plunge and prance larky...it did not last long and I stayed on and we got through...but you see your life flash by and think...this is it...I'm on the floor in a minute. I hate that feeling
frown.gif

Anyway, no point to the post, just a grumble...we lived to tell the tale and apparently it makes me into a better rider!!!
crazy.gif

Who else has a nuisance horse with a temper?

Dogbetty141

Visit site
my gg has a temper he hates being worked hard and it like that every now and then at the begining until he is worked in. He does not buck or spin or anything just has strop on him and fights but once he knows he is not going to get away with it he carries on.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
I have a mare who has a very clear of telling you when she's p***d off! If she doesn't like/understand what you are asking her to do she will stop dead, stamp a front foot and scream!!! Have never come across this before, but you certainly get the message!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Oh god yeah. My Welshie is the same. He quite often throws his toys out of the pram! Maybe its a Welshie thing? They are renowned for having a massive personality!

My boy bit the vet today...... and she wasnt even treating him!
blush.gif

leskaneen

Visit site
Mines welsh too and he takes his ball home about something most days.He s found a new one this week-when I m lungeing him and he s had enough he manages to grab hold of the lunge line in his teeth ang a game of Tug O War ensues till he gives in !!

Parkranger

Visit site
Yep Ty is a bit of a kick out front ways with the farrier or if he gets impatient.....he does get the hump when I don't do things quickly enough for him or he thinks that what we're doing it boring....!

I suppose it's part of his character.....

Scarlett

Visit site
my welshie had tantrums too - he never managed to unseat me but if he wanted to chuck the toys out the pram he did! big time!

now my Highland can have a tantrum with the best of them, but he just stops and stands still and kicks out a back leg... no huge drama....

Kelly1982

Visit site
I wouldn't say my mare has a temper tantrum as such but she is very easily excited. Like she gets excited when jumping so has been known to tank of with me rodeiong round the school (she actually has done that with no warning before as well). I have also put her in a stronger bit so she cant tank with me when jumping so now she occasionaly stops dead and throws a paddy stamping her feet and shaking her head.

I think it gives them personality and its all good fun. I would get bored otherwise
grin.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Just be glad that your horses/ponies aren't like some TB's I've seen - literally throw themselves on the floor (with or without you on top) when they don't want to do something!

samp

Visit site
M yold horse used to do the same if saw a horse in the distance would buck, rear, canter on spot and try to catch up. My mare has tantrums when she is scared, doesn't want to work or having a bad day she rears straight up and spins

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Murph has a temper but more when schooling. He will run backwards, stamp buck try to spin then give in and work nicely for the rest of the time! With him it's best not to take him on but just sit and insist quietly. Normally works!

ss1

Visit site
My mare is pretty good at temper tantrums, she has been known to snort and even grunt at me when she is angry! She can do the whole head shaking and stamping of feet thing, threaten to go up but has never actually done this.

I deal with it by just sitting quietly and not giving in so after a couple of minutes she gives in and then produces some fantastic work, would be nice to consistently produce this without sometimes having a strop but let's just say she is a thoroughbred with a lot of character and is easily excited. Mid dressage test is not always a good time for a tantrum though!

People tell me that I should get stroppy with her when she does this but that would just make her worse and my methods work. It's really quite funny and I just tent to laugh at her. It also doesn't happen very often and anyway it all adds to the excitement!

pottamus

Visit site
Ok guys so clearly I am not on my own! Lesandsparks...I am liking the lunging trick...just the sort of thing mine would do!!!! LOL!
Anyway, feel better now knowing everyone else has these problems too!

amandaco2

Visit site
yep mine do!lol.
Beys are funny shes only 8 months old and she likes to do spanish walk when she gets in a tizz!
shantih just broncs when you ride her if she gets in a tizz(her rearing days are mostly over now!)

GTs

Visit site
I think by calling it a temper tantrum you are accepting it as his/her behavior - to me this is bad behaviour and would be dealt with immediately!!!