Horse that has had OCD op in hocks

kezz86

Visit site
I'm just looking to pick you brains... What are your experiences with horses that have had this op?

He's had the op and is sound now and in work.

Is it likely to reoccur?

Next question would you buy a horse that has had the op?

The horse is open to vetting...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My fear is tthat any OCD operation would make the joint more liable to arthritis in the future. I wouldn't buy one, except for very low money compared to its market value without the issue.

Are you buying or selling?

kezz86

Visit site
I'm buying... I think the owner will be fair on price.

I don't have high level competition goals. Just a little riding club and dabbling in the odd low level dressage competition.

The horse is 6yo and will apparently pass a vetting. I'm not hugely concerned about arthritis I thought this might be the biggest worry with it. I have a youngster that will hopefully become my main horse by the time this horse is 10-11yo so I would be slowing life down for him then anyway...

ihatework

Visit site
Interestingly it’s one thing I haven’t knowingly had or followed progress on for someone else.

The reason I say knowingly, is because whipping out OCD chips is pretty common in sporthorses and not always declared.

I probably wouldn’t rule a horse out, but it would be very much dependant on the horse in front of me.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm buying... I think the owner will be fair on price.

I don't have high level competition goals. Just a little riding club and dabbling in the odd low level dressage competition.

The horse is 6yo and will apparently pass a vetting. I'm not hugely concerned about arthritis I thought this might be the biggest worry with it. I have a youngster that will hopefully become my main horse by the time this horse is 10-11yo so I would be slowing life down for him then anyway...

In which case, of you like it and the price is right, I would buy it. I did some googling after your post and came across some stats that 'up to' 50% of warmblood have OCD chips. And as IHW says, many of those will have been operated on and sold with no disclosure.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think the long term prognosis for hock and fetlock OCD is pretty good? Other joints (shoulder and stifle particularly) not so much. A friend has a youngster having some bother at the moment so I've been looking at Dr Google.

4faults

Visit site
Unless the price was right I personally wouldn’t bother, plenty more horses out there. I say this as someone who’s horse has had an OCD hock operation and Will stay with me forever because of it. He has been left with arthritis and cartilage damage but is perfectly sound and would pass a 5 stage vetting no problem. The surgeon who did his op said it’s very common for there to be internal damage to the cartilage which would not be obvious until a few years down the line

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I had a young horse operated on for fairly extensive OCD in both hocks. He was fine afterwards and I competed him, but sold him on as a 9 year old and don't know anything after that. He passed a vetting and x-rays, and I disclosed the op. I sold him for a fair price (he was an advanced medium/PSG horse), and the buyer was happy, or at least never complained.