Horse that Licks

anonmouse

Visit site
My 10 Year old mare, Starlight, has taken to licking my hands when ever I go near. She never bites but seems to lick my hands constantly could this be a sign of a vitamin and mineral shortage in her body or am I just being silly?

LauraBR

Visit site
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I would not worry too much, most of the horses at the yard I'm at will lick your hands- either hoping for a tasty morsel or liking the taste, who knows!

If you are concerned you could always stick a multi vit/mineral lick in the stable for her?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
At the showjumping yard I worked at over the summer we had a horse there who would lick any part of you any time you were near him be it hands, arms, shoulders, neck, anything! Have no idea why he did it but he was on a vit and min supplement, garlic, electrolytes etc so I don't think he was difficiant in anything.

Kat
xx

threeponies

Visit site
We had the horse listener woman and she said my mare likes to lick my hands cos they taste nice, sort of herbal, your horse just likes you!

S_N

Visit site
My old lad Tops, would do this, I always attributed it to the fact that he refused outright to use any kind of salt lick! Wouldn't even eat his food if I put salt in it, but would if I put expensive electrolites in it!

Louby

Visit site
My boys a licker!! He licks clothing, hands etc but his favourite is mens heads!! I know its odd but he loves it much to my husbands amusement.